Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling the screws once in a while, will this ever go away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling the screws once in a while, will this ever go away?

Hi all-

This doesn't happen alot to me, but just thought I'd ask since I'm a new post-op person. I don't feel the rods in my back at all. For the first 5 weeks, I never even felt a screw. Now, every once in awhile, I can feel a screw. Yesterday, one screw was bothering me at night after a long day (had pt, had to put the kids to bed, dinner, etc). FYI...I didn't do anything very strenuous since my sitter was here all day yesterday in the morning and afternoon until 6pm. Is it normal to feel screws every once in a while in the beginning (had my surgery June 8)? Also, I am wondering, after a year or so or even after a long time after surgery do you stop feeling the screws? Or do you always feel them, no mattter how long ago you had surgery?

Thanks, was just thinking about this yesterday and thought I'd post and get some info from your experiences.

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

How do you know if you're feeling a screw and not just a muscle twinge or something like that?
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I suppose you mean you can feel the screw from within? I can't feel mine, but when I do certain things like lift something down from a top shelf, or sometimes swinging my arms when walking fast, I can feel the rods, or rather the muscles pulling on the rods. At least, that's what it feels like. It's painless.

Apart from that, I can feel the screws when I touch the top of my incision, it's a little bumpy at the top.

I should add, that in the early stages post op, especially when you start reducing or get off the medication, the feeling of having hardware is more obvious.
      Last edited by JenniferG; 07-20-2010, 05:02 PM.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm 4 months post op and don't believe I feel the instrumentation at all normally...if I push around near the bottom of my fusion I think I might feel the heads of a couple of them through the skin, but that's about it.

Rich
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
        A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
        Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
        Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I did mean feeling the screw within my back, not feeling it on the outside through manipulating my back.
          Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
          Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
          Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
          Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
          31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Hey Jen, I knew what you meant, I was just pointing out that although I don't feel mine internally, I think I can feel them externally if I try! :-)

Rich
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
            A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
            Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
            Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Feel everything inside they put in?

I may be weird - and, if so, just call me on it because I can feel my rods most of the time. Haven't noticed any screw feeling but the rods remind me quite often. I feel them sitting at my desk at work and sitting here right now I can tell they're there. Don't really hurt - just kinda odd feeling. Is this normal for 4 mos postop? Cannot believe it's been 4 mos already, almost 5. Wow - I am so proud of me!!!
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I am with Rita. I am at a little over 12 weeks and I feel my hardware alot. I am very aware of it. Also say it is not painful, but just odd. I do have alot of muscle and nerve soreness and stiffness. I feel hardware mostly when I sit against a chair or lay down. Definitely in the car.
                I am wondering if it makes a difference if you have hardware in the thorasic area or lumbar area. Mine is only thorasic, T2-L1.
                Shari - 55 years old
                Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                Post op 13 degree curve.
                Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

My 2 cents: After my first surgery I felt my rods intensely. It felt like I had a board in my back and some days it was miserable. But at the same time, I could not stand upright so I had that going against me. After my second surgery, I feel my hardware much much less but I still am aware that it is in there. On days that I am feeling it more, I sometimes realize that the weather is wet and soggy. It is not painful, just kind of a tight , pulling feeling. I can't say that I feel screws though, my pelvic anchors make my hips feel achy sometimes. It does all get better with time though.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

What you all have to look forward to, is forgetting they're even there. Even doing things differently, such as my new way of putting on socks, becomes the norm and you do it without thinking about rods etc. It takes a while, but it happens. Something I never thought would happen.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jen, I felt a screw poking me soon after my surgery when I would reach down into the clothes washer with my right hand. It was one at T-5 or 6. It did eventually go away. And I had one screw showing under my skin around T-2 or 3. At first I thought it was a cyst, by my Doc. said it's was because I needed more meat on my bones.

I know it's hard not to be afraid of every little thing when you're first recovering, but they have for me gone away. Although the weather plays a a part in how I feel as well.

It's normal to be concerned, and that's what your Doctor can do, as well as this forum, to ease your mind.

Always ask the Doc. first,
                      Shari

Comment

Shari -- I have the rods and screws in my lumbar area and can feel them especially when sitting. I asked my dr about them. His answer was to forget about them, they were a part of my body now just like the rest of my back. I also have a little discomfort with the screws in my pelvic area. Not bad, just enough to remind me something is different.

Glenda
                        Glenda
                        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Glenda, I first have to say what a wonderful family you have you!!! I would never tell you to forget it, because it's impossible so soon after your surgery. I'm a 5 yr post-oppie and I still feel things to this day. It does get better. I think us older women take a bit more healing time than the younger ones. But it comes.

Please don't ever compare your recovery to any others, it's your surgery, your spinal correction and it's your body that's going to heal itself.

Never forget how strong you really are, and your posts will many others that are trying to decide what to do.

Your newly found wisdom is greatly needed here,
                          Shari

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, Shari. I appreciate your comments. My family is wonderful. I agree with you, it's going to be quite sometime before I can "forget" the hardware. I am very proud of it though as I no longer am in the pain I was before surgery. I do hope that folks will take notice of how well I am doing at my age (63). I was truly concerned about my age, but knew there would never be a better time and for the most part, I am healthy. It wasn't easy by any means, but I am so glad I did it and am on my way to healing.
                            Glenda
                            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Glenda,

Just so you know, I am out here in Cyberland VERY impressed with how well you did "at your age". (kinda hate that expression!). It gives me great hope and also lessens the urgency of feeling the need to have surgery because I'm not getting any younger.

When and if- probably when- I do get the operation, I will be quite proud of my hardware store, I am sure. I think you all who have it, deserve to WORK IT. Show it off to whoever will listen. My x-rays will have a special compartment in my wallet.
                              Amy
                              58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                              Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                              Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                              2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                              Exercising to correct

Comment

Working...
                              X