When did you return to work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you return to work??

Just wanted to see when the average person returns to work. I am 6 weeks post op Fri and my pain now is comparable to before surgery. My only problems are lack of sustained endurance and teaching myself to walk upright. Just wanted to get a idea when others returned to work.
    Thanks!
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Hi Janet, you are a lot younger than I am (56), but went back at about 2.5 months part time for the two weeks, then back full time, it was not too bad as I have a desk job and could get up as often as I needed to. My commute is not too bad either, about 1/2 hour away, which is something you'll have to consider also.
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Janet-

I was just wondering if you have driven a car yet. Also, are you taking medication still, or did you wean yourself off yet? My neck still is not right so I won't be able to drive a car until my neck gets better.

You sound like you are doing great! Good luck!

JenM
      Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
      Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
      Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
      Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
      31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

If you do a search, you can find lots of old threads that might help. Here's one that I remembered: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...ht=return+work
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Returning to Work

Janet,
          After my first surgery I returned to work (as a nurse) at 5 months post-op, and after this latest surgery I am planning on returning at around 4 1/2 months post-op. I would love to stay out longer as my endurance is still not that great and I am worried about putting in a full 40 hr week ( I KNOW I will be wiped out). But have had to start making Cobra payments and my savings is getting tapped out...I could not have returned any earlier as some have.
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Jen
            I haven't drove yet, though I feel I am ready. I have a 6 week post op appt Fri. I'll see what he says then. I am nearly off pain pills only taking one morning and night and feel like I can most likely drop down to only as needed. I think my pain is comparable now to it was pre op, but preop I took Motrin and don't know when I can take that again. My only concern is the awkward walking. I hate people staring at me!! Also, my endurance seems to be improving as well. Not tiring out as easily. I hope your neck is better soon, how horrible that must be. Take care!
            Janet
            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Janet-- Ahhhhh youth! I can't imagine feeling like that at 6 weeks! At that stage I still felt like I'd been hit by a semi and was weak as a kitten... or worse maybe. You are doing great!

Corrected to 15°

Comment

I started back to work part time from home at around 2.5 weeks post op cause I was bored and had nothing to do. I only worked 15 minutes here or there for a week and kept increasing as I felt better. I started going back into the office around 2.5 months, part time at first going in just once per week, then twice, etc.. At this point I'm 4 months post-op and am basically back to a normal work week and have been for the past month or so.

With all that said I was tremendously lucky as I have a VERY flexible work schedule and can work as effectively from home as in the office.

Rich
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

I guess it depends on your job. I work as a cop, so my work won't let me return. I am 7 months post op and would love to return, cause I love my job. I have seen multiple doctors mine and theirs and they all are saying that I need a change of jobs. They are scared of hardware breaking in a fight. I'm 38, so feel kind of helpless and not knowing what I can do next. I got my BS, Masters and doctorate in this line of work,

rich

Comment

Hi there,

My surgery will be in October, and I am planning to take 4 months off, but I am really hoping to be able to return at three months. I think I will be pretty bored at home by then, and I will also have financial pressure due the fact that I have no short-term disability benefits. My employer's voluntary plan is outrgeous so I never contributed to it, and as far as I can tell, there is no State Disability in Oregon?? (I'm not sure how to know this for sure, but this is what my HR dept tells me).

I am very fortunate in that my employer wants me back in whatever capacity at first. I will be allowed to sit at the computer, and move around whenever needed. I do not think I will be expected to be very productive at first. So I am mostly worried about how my endurance for an 8 hour day will be.

Thanks SusieBee for the links to the great threads about this topic. I found them all very helpful.
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

You are so welcome, Gayle. I never know if anyone ever looks at any links! It sounds like you have an ideal situation, if you can ease into the workplace again. I wonder if he'll let you do half days to begin with??? You might ask. I had to leap into it full force or not at all, and mine was really physically demanding. And then I had to decide 3 months ahead of time if I could start back at the 2nd semester or not, so decided just to stay out all year. I was glad I did. It sounds like you will do just fine. BTW, I have always loved your username-- it is so poetic.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                        I guess it depends on your job. I work as a cop, so my work won't let me return. I am 7 months post op and would love to return, cause I love my job. I have seen multiple doctors mine and theirs and they all are saying that I need a change of jobs. They are scared of hardware breaking in a fight. I'm 38, so feel kind of helpless and not knowing what I can do next. I got my BS, Masters and doctorate in this line of work,

rich
                        Rich...

That really sucks. Has your surgeon written a letter stating that being in a fight (unless it's a gun fight ;-), will not break your rods? I personally think that you might want to wait until at least a year in terms of getting into a physical confrontation, but I respect that your own wishes should be considered. Is there any chance you could sign a waiver? I'm sure something like that would have to be very specific.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

law enforcement are pretty specific when it comes to physical abilities. The liability factor is to great for them to take a chance. They would love for me to sign a waiver, but it would be to risky on my part to sign a waiver, in case I ever get hurt. Luckily I had paid into long term disability, so i have a year to decide what to do.

rich

Comment

Rich,

That's great that you have long-term disability. I would hope that after a year you are recovered enough to either return to your normal work or take a related (perhaps behind-the-scenes) type job that would not expose you to as much risk of confrontation. It's really awful to think of scoliosis surgery disrupting a whole career! What about detective or forensic work? (Can you tell I watch too much Law & Order--probably have no idea what I'm talking about.) Anyway, I'm 38, too, so I can relate to not wanting to have to change your life plans because of scoliosis. Please let us know what you end up doing.

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I have purchased LTD through my work, but if is only 60% of pay. I must make it back in 6 more weeks.
                              36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Working...
                              X