Yoga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga

Well, at 3 and a half months post op I started back to yoga, last week. I literally cried after my first class...not from pain, but because I was so happy I was there and getting my life back to normal!!! Yes, there is some modifications I have to do, but I can tell already that it is helping me rebuild my core muscles and increasing my flexibility. I do have to be very careful and not do any of the twisting poses. Just wanted to give hope to those that are contemplating surgery.
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

That's wonderful, Laura. You have come such a long way in a short time.

I started back to the gym this week for walking and swimming. I had been just keeping close to home on the streets in my neighborhood for walking. It did feel good to get back and to be able to drive myself. I'm looking forward to getting back into my pilates sessions I began prior to my surgery. I plan to begin with private sessions tailored to protecting my fragile back.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Good for you Laura. I feel the exact same way. I went back to the gym this week to do my 45 minutes on the treadmill. Which I have been doing my walking (mostly close to home also), but trying to up the pace slowly back to my old speed. I don't do yoga, but have been given stetching and core exercises to start toning my back, legs, arms and core again. Everything feels so "tight".

Let us know how your progress goes.

Melissa

Comment

Dear Sis of Mine - Hey Laura

Hi Laura: Remember me? Rita T. here......How are you!?!?!?! I need to call you. It's been crazier than crazy here. I'm doing pretty good - still some pain and still some problems with standing up completely straight at times, but working through it. Still not able to walk long distances yet - shopping is a bit of a challenge still, but who needs to shop anyways, right? Ha! Can you believe how far we've come? How amazing our stories are, huh? How are things going for you? Are you back to work full time now? How was Florida - I'm so jealous of that!!!

Talk to you soon..Keep hangin in there!!! I am soooo proud of you!!! We are the true Sisters of Steel, are we not???? LOL
        Hugs to you!!!!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Rita Girlfriend!!! I think of you very often and wonder how you are! Are you glad you had it done? Hahah...I think I know the answer to that one!!! YES!!! And so am I! It's amazing isn't it? Yes, I am back to work full time, and trying to get back to yoga and the things I did before surgery. I really feel yoga is getting my muscles back in shape, but there are a lot of moves I can't do, so I just modify them. Are you off your pain pills now, missy??? I take tylenonl fairly often. I couldn't wait to get off the pain pills, I didn't do so well on those suckers! I got a good report from Lenke, thank God! How is your incision doing? Mine is healing up nicely. I still have a chicken wing sticking out on my right side. And when I get tired I lean forward when I walk, but I'm trying to stand up straight. I sure am happy I did it and can't even believe all we went through and it's behind us. WOW! I feel excited and scared for all the ones getting ready to go through it! I remember that feeling oh so well!!!
          Love ya Sis!
          Laura
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Laura - It's great that you're back to yoga! Hopefully I'll do as well as you. Thanks for all the encouraging words!
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

It's great to hear your excitement, Laura. I'm already so glad I had it too! I was so scared and wanted to back out so many times. So thankful I didn't!! I was released from the hospital on May 27 and the contract between Emory and my HMO ended June 1. I just did make it in under the wire.
              Glenda
              Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
              Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
              Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
              A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
              Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
              Pleased with outcome

Comment

It's so good to hear reports like Rita's and Laura's-especially since you are Dr. Lenke's patients, too. I have had way too long to worry about this and keep wondering if I will "chicken out". Reading your positive stories really helps! This is crazy to say and I'm not wishing for it, BUT, if I had pain now, there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind. So glad you girls are doing so well and getting back in shape. I love my classes at the Y and hope to get back to some of them after surgery. I'm assuming high impact is out of the question forever.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

It's great that you girls are all doing so well. Glenda, you are proof that we more "mature" girls can do well with the surgery. I'm glad you're so positive about it when it's still such early days for you. And it will just keep getting better!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you so much for the posts, it really does give me alot of hope. I'm so happy for you, Laura, to get back to an activity that you love and for the others as well gettin' physical. I actually backed away from yoga because I felt I wasn't going to be able to do many poses. Do you mind, Laura, if I ask you where your fusion is? Staying active means so much to me. My great love is tennis, it's not only one of my favorite activities but a social support. I also love swimming. I'm so hoping I'll be able to get back to them with time. Thanks again for the encouraging posts and congrats too.
                    Debra
                    Age 45
                    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                    Fused T4-T12
                    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
                    X