Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis Schedule

Hey everyone-
    My surgery is rapidly approaching, and we were trying to figure out what kind of schedule to expect in St. Louis. I guess these questions would be for anyone who has had surgery at Banres-Jewish Hospital...

How many days were you in the hospital after surgery?

How many days did they want you to stay in St. Louis after surgery?

After surgery, did they put you in a physical therapy unit at the hospital, or did you have to go to the hospital for any PT before you went home?

One more...
    Did you ride in a car home, or did you fly? (It would be about an 8 hour ride in a car for me)

Thanks!
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

Mike--
    You are much younger than I so much of this might not apply. I went in on a Friday to have the central line put in. Monday was surgery day--10 hours. I was in the hospital for 8 days and then transported by ambulance to a rehab center that was only a couple blocks away--it seemed like miles and miles of potholes to me! I was there 8 days and we took 2 days driving home to break it up. Normally it would be a 7 hour drive for us. I couldn't have done it all in one day. Hope this helps. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Mike,
      I checked in to the Parkway Hotel on a Monday afternoon, then Tuesday morning had my central line, then Wednesday was surgery. I was in the hospital for five days, then was discharged and stayed in the Parkway for another four days. I flew home, but was sooo lucky cuz my sister works for a private jet company and they sent a private jet for us. Honestly I don't remember the flight as I was very drugged. Take pillows with you on the plane, for sure! I did not go to any kind of rehab or physical therapy other than them getting me up to move in the hospital. I did walk the hallways of the hotel daily for exercise. Whoever goes with you can ask to have a bed pulled in your hospital room if you have a private room. I recommend that for at least the first couple of nights. Good luck Mike! You will be fine. I am so glad I did it!!!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Also...the Parkway has free breakfast every morning in their lobby and it's really good. AND, they have a free shuttle bus that goes all over the city. Not that you will be using this, but whomever goes with you might.
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Go Dr. Lenke!!!!!

I, like Radiogirl, can vouch for Barnes Jewish Hospital. You will be just fine. I had a little different schedule though. I had my surgery moved up from a cancellation that I was lucky enough to get so I had to be in St. Louis week before my surgery, had my preop lab on Wed (I think - been four months ago!), central line on Friday and surgery on Monday. your preop lab will keep you hopping to get it all accomplished but it will be fine. It's all worth it in the long run for sure. Best thing you've ever done for yourself. I was in such pain preoperatively and such problems with breathing and heart problems, I could not wait to get the surgery behind me. Although I had pain after surgery, I knew that would go away - this preop pain day after day wears on a person. Although it is an uphill battle, I won't tell you it wasn't, it is certainly not something you can't stand. They take wonderful care of you at Barnes Jewish. Very caring people. I was in hosp for a week, went back to Parkway Hosp for an overnight stay and then rode the long enduring ride home to Topeka, KS in our car. We cut the trip in half and stayed in Columbia first night and then next morning drove on to home. By the time I got to Columbia I was pretty miserable, but then next morning remembered the car seat laid back and I hardly remembered anything until I got home. Next few days were pretty dopey - hubby waking me up multiple times during the night to take meds. I have the world's best hubby!!! He took such good care of me!!! But, overall, just relax through the whole thing if you can and enjoy being on the other side. You will be fine - there are sometimes bumps in the road, but nothing you can't work through. Best of luck to you and keep us fellow Barnes Jewish patients updated, will you? Please let me know if you have any other questions.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Thanks for the great info on Barnes and the Parkway Hotel, Janet, Laura and Rita. It is SO reassuring to hear from you all!

Any further advice on the long drive home (mine would be about 7.5 hours)? What I've read so far is to take pillows, recline the passenger seat, split the drive into maybe 2 hour segments and take the pain meds!!!

Given the choice, would you chose to ride home in:
            1) an SUV that should be easy to get in and out of but that has a somewhat bumpy suspension or would you chose
            2) a mid-size car that sits low to the ground but that has a smoother suspension?
            Kathy
            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

St Louis Schedule

Hi Mike - I just got back from St Louis last night after my 2nd appt with Dr Bridwell. My surgery is Aug 31 (Tuesday). Yesterday I saw Dr B then had another xray. Met with Bernie. Then I had to go have blood drawn, urine test and EKG. Then I drove back to Indy. I have to go over Sunday, Aug 29. Monday morning I see Dr B again(7am) to go over any last minute stuff; then I have my Central Line put in(9am) and then I have to meet with the Anesthesia Staff(10am). Only clear liquids all Monday. I have to be at the hospital Tuesday morning at 5:30am and my surgery is scheduled for 7:30am and will last 8 hours. He's fusing me from T3 or T4 to my sacrum. Getting nervous. Bernie told me I would be in the hospital approximately a week; will be discharged sometime between Sunday and Tuesday. I see her a week after discharge or about 2 weeks after surgery and they want me to stay in a hotel (probably will be at the Parkway) for that week after discharge since I'm over 4 hours away. So that's the plan at this point. Probably will fly home. Otherwise plan to stop the car every 45 minutes and move around. Even though there are no longer nonstops between Indy and St Louis, Southwest has a direct flight through Midway so each hop would only be about 45 minutes and you can at least get up and walk around in a plane.
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Working...
              X