In pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In pain

I have scoliosis, I have had my rod removed. I now have a rib hump, a London hospital sent me to 2 plastic surgeons said I could have a skin graft, the plastic surgeons said it was too major surgery due to my breathing. I also overheard the surgeon at the London hospital saying that he would be willing to shave a bit of my hump off however after visiting the plastic surgeons he said he can do no more! I went for an x-ray at the London hospital that day and the radiographer said taht I should have had an MRI scan, the London surgeon however signed me off! I think this is awful, I am now taking painkillers which make me breathless and tired, have been to the pain clinic, they could only give me a brace to stop my hump rubbing. My back does hurt a lot even with the painkillers a lot of the time, I take tramadol, paracetomol and codeine often at night plus nurofen prescribed by my GP. What do you suggest I do, I live in the UK and am 44 years old.
    Liz

How severe is your scoliosis? (What's the angle?)

I would not recommend you take bracing. After reading Dr. Kevin Lau's research on bracing in his book "´Health in your hands" I would suggest not doing it at all. I would suggest an alternative approach:

Have you learned to move in a way that facilitates rehabilitation of your spine when performing everyday tasks? Usually I would wake up and 10 minutes later I would be in pain, thinking it was mainly my scoliosis, but in it was because I had been doing the dishes or cleaning the house. I knew nothing about lifting with back, using my pelvis, using my neck muscles, shoulders etc. And the result was pain and headaches.
    My body can't stand the effect of taking pharmaceutical drugs, so if it's in pain I got to listen to it, and my biggest wish is for other people to do the same.

Best wishes,
    Christian

Comment

Pain

I do try not to overdo things so that my pain doesn't get worse. However at the moment it even hurts when I sit down, my partner has to put spray on my rib hump, good job he's around, I think its awful that he has to do this, my back does get very sore. I am now also having pain on the shoulder blade, the side of the hump, even when i take painkillers. I find it difficult sometimes to sleep at night unless I take about 5 different ones.
      Liz

Comment

Working...
      X