great 8-week follow up visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great 8-week follow up visit

I had a really good report from my surgeon at my 8-week follow-up appointment this week. He was very pleased with my progress. He told me to continue to take it easy for another six-weeks and come back for another follow-up visit. He was able to get a really good correction. Of course, couldn't tell anything about how the fusion was coming along, but I was so pleased to see how well the correction of my spine looked. He released me to drive! It seemed so good to be allowed go someplace alone and even drive myself.
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

YEA! This is such a good report! So nice for you that your Dr. is pleased with your progress.

Driving will do MUCH for your independence and feeling of normalcy in your life. With your fusion so low down you probably won't have much trouble turning to look behind you when reversing out of parking spaces either - BONUS!
    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
    Achieved +70% Correction
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
    New Spine 03/19/2009
    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Thanks Doodie for the encouragement re backing out of parking spaces. That's been one of my major concerns. I had no problem today. It felt wonderful.

I've been especially pleased with my progress given my age. I feared it might be a factor in being able to heal.
      Glenda
      Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
      Pleased with outcome

Comment

Glenda:

I have almost the same fusion only to L5. I started driving about the same time you did and had no problem, you will be fine. My limits in tuning did not effect my ability to see behind me when backing at all because I could turn my head and shoulders sufficiently. My only issue was stiffness when I was in the car for more than 20-30 minutes or so, but that was a passenger issue also.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery, sounds like you are doing great.

Melissa: 46 Yrs
        Surgery: March 31, 2110
        Fusion T9-L5

Comment

Good to hear from you Glenda, especially to read how well you're going. Getting back to normal life after this surgery is a wonderful feeling!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Glenda,
            I'm glad you're doing well. I've been reading some of your posts on the Care Pages. I will be 60 when I have my surgery, so it's good to know someone in my age bracket is recovering fine. It's a concern of mine, although I think I'm in fairly decent shape. I know it's a tough surgery regardless of your age.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glenda--
              That's really good news on your great correction. Keep that recovery going! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

That's great news! Depending who I go with, I may have your same fusion (maybe higher), and I've been thinking a lot about this business of looking back when I drive - especially since I "specialize" in minor parking lot accidents.

I'd been thinking I might have to resort to a video back up device - but I'd rather not! This gives me hope.

Keep on trucking - in a manner of speaking! When one succeeds, we all take heart. Especially those of your fusion and age demographic.
                Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Congratulations!!!! Great news. Be careful!
                  36 year young cardiac RN
                  old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                  new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                  Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                  Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                  and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I have come a long, long way.

I do have an issue I wonder if any of you have experienced. My hair is coming out it seems heavier than usual and I have a small balding spot right in the front that's seems to be growing. Right now I can cover it up, but if it keeps spreading that's not going to be the case. My PCP and hairdresser say it is from the stress of surgery.

Karen, from following my CarePages, you probably recall that I had those complications early on with my kidneys that put me in intensive care for three days so I'm very grateful to be where I am. I enjoyed reading your posts and appreciated your encouragement on the CarePages. Glad you're going ahead at 60 with your surgery. I didn't know at 60 that I needed this surgery. I had no idea until last October. So given my age, I didn't want to wait to have it done. I'm so glad I went ahead with it.

Good reminder jsully -- BE CAREFUL! I'll keep that in mind.

Glenda
                    Glenda
                    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                    X