post-op insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post-op insomnia

hey all, I had my minimally invasive surgery on the 7th with Dr. Durrani. I was fused from T3 to L1 and although recovery is SLOW, it is happening little by little. I have one major ? For you though...anyone else deal w insomnia postop? Please let me know.

Marissa

cyborg2be
    right thoracic curve of 74 degrees
    left lumbar curve of 44

Wow Marissa -
    You don't mess around do you? The last thing I remember was that your insurance denied your Dr.'s request for BMP use in June (?) and here you are post surgery already only a month later! whew!

As for the insomnia - you didn't mention if you're taking any pain medicine or what kind but I would suspect that has something to do with your insomnia.

After my surgeries I only slept a few hours at a time (even during the night) and took naps here and there during the day as needed. My duration for sleep increased as I decreased the pain meds.

After I was completely off the narcotics at 3.5 months, I went through a short period of insomnia - about 5-7 nights and then I was able to get readjusted to a 'normal' sleep schedule. I haven't taken a daytime nap in almost a year.

I don't know if this helps you or not? You are still early, early in your recovery (July 7th?) - you have to give yourself a chance to adapt and heal. It's a slow process.
    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
    Achieved +70% Correction
    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
    New Spine 03/19/2009
    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

It took me almost 6 weeks to get back to a normal sleep schedule. Definitely the first few weeks, I was on a "napping" schedule. I would sleep spuradically, all day and night.

Melissa

Comment

There were many times I would be awake at night for a couple of hours at a time. Kind of frustrating, I know. Not much you can do about it. You'll eventually get your sleep routine back. Hang in there.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hate to tell you this, but I still have sleep issues three years post-op. I think it's because I was on narcotics for 8 months and my body forgot how to fall asleep naturally. If I sit down during the day I'm sleepy, but when I go to bed (even very late), I'm wide awake. I take Melatonin, which helps a little.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I had sleep problems my whole life
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

The pain meds messed my sleep schedule up.....both being on them, and then again weaning off them. But, small price to pay for a straight back! And, eventually you will get back to normal.
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I found that Tylenol PM worked best for me.

Rich
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
                X