PDA

View Full Version : nicoles surgery

jc3
11-04-2004, 03:25 PM
i'm writing from the hospital to let everyone know nicole had her surgery yesterday. dr. said it went very well, she did not even need any blood during the surgery, it was 4 hours long in total and she was pretty comfortable yesterday all day for the most. today she is in more pain and they had her sit up once that was horrible. she will be going in a room shortly. i will write more details when we get home. I just wanted to let everyone know she is okay. thanks for all your prayers. I hope everyone else's surgery went as well that day. mamakay and bills mom write as soon as you can.
jennifer

Carmell
11-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Good news, Jennifer. I'm happy to hear the surgery went well, and was successful. Give Nicole a gentle hug from us. May her recovery be smooth and uneventful. Take care of yourself as well!

My best,

lrmb
11-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Great news! Was thinking of you. Look after yourself as you take care of Nicole. Best wishes, Laura

carolnj
11-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Jennifer, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how the surgery went! I have been praying for both of you and am glad to hear all went well! Carol

ANIMAL LOVER12
11-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Jennifer,
I am so glad to hear that everything went okay with Nicole. I hope everyhting went well for everyone else who had surgery yesterday. I know that there were quite a few. Anyway I hope Nicole has a speedy recovery.Bye!

jc3
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
hi everyone,
thanks for thinking of us and your prayers. We are finally in a room and they gave us a computer for the room. The room is great we have a private room with refrigerator, tv and a view of the east river, it is beautiful. Nicole is doing really well. Today was a good day. Physical therapists came twice today. In the morning they had her walk a few steps, she was not happy about that but she did it. In the afternoon they came back and she walked all the way to the hall. Again, she was not happy about it. Pain meds (morphine pump) today is working great. It is very controlled today, but they are lowering it alittle now, since she is (i think alittle too out of it). They changed her dressing today and i saw the incision and it looked really good. So, so far she is doing very well. I hope that continues. I will keep you all posted. I'm sure i will have a new set of concerns and questions for you all when we get home. But i can't believe it is over and thrilled that so far so good.
keep praying
jennifer
ps. i hope the other surgeries are going just as well.

carolnj
11-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi Jennifer! So glad to see your update and that Nicole is up and doing so well! We saw Dr. Boachie today and I was very impressed with him. Carol

susannajon
11-07-2004, 07:39 AM
Jennifer,

I am so glad to hear Nicole is doing so well. It sounds like the hospital is wonderful, too. Thanks so much for taking the time to write!

Susanna

jc3
11-07-2004, 04:00 PM
hi susanna
still writing from the hosptial. it's not easy but we're getting through it. Hope it gets easier by the time we get home. I guess the worst part is over though, now we just have to get through the recovery. Slowly but surely.
jennifer

spincon58
11-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi Jennifer,
It is finally over for Nicole..all that reading,research and questions paided off..just to see your daughter with a successful outcome..I have been away from the NSF for a while..I had an episode of sever abdominal pain that sent me to the ER, just the other day..It looks like I have a bad gallbladder...with everything I went thru..and now something else...this is just to much..so I will just have to deal with it...anyway tell Nicole that everyone is wishing her a painfree recovery as soon as possible!!!!

jc3
11-07-2004, 06:47 PM
hi connie
i know i can't believe it's over either. Now i'll be reading, researching, etc. on the recovery process.
I can't believe what you are going through. I am sorry that you have something else to deal with now.
Nicole is coming along but slowly. Tonight they are trying to wean her off the pump, so they gave her a vicodin for the first time a little while ago. As of now she is sleeping.
I will keep you updated on her progress.
let me know how you are doing and thanks for asking about nicole
jennifer

carolnj
11-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi Jennifer. How is Nicole doing today? I hope everyday finds her stronger and in less and less pain. Please keep us posted on her progress. Carol

spincon58
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi Jennifer,
Today I had an ultrasound and it's gallstones...It seems like so many people have had there gallbladder out....anyway..just tell Nicole that recovery is very much an up and down process...there are good days and bad days so be patient all will be better in the long run...

mumof5
11-09-2004, 03:02 AM
HI Connie,
I would just like to let you know that I have had my gallbladder removed due to gall stones. The surgery is nothing compared to the pain of the stones moving. And after watching Amber go through her op mine was a breeze. You will feel much better after you have it done, just watch how much fat you eat.
Best wishes.
Cheryl.

jc3
11-09-2004, 07:36 PM
hi carolnj
thanks for asking about nicole. We are still in the hospital and today is day 6. Today was her best day yet. There is a big change today. It's been tough, but it has to get better from here. I think her worst pain is over. Today was the first day she was able to eat solids, got her catheda out, they washed her hair for her, so it was a big day.
i will keep you all posted on the progress. They say either tomorrow or thursday we will be going home.
jennifer

susannajon
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Jennifer, I'll bet Nicole was thrilled to have her hair washed! I'm so glad she's feeling better and almost ready to go home. Just a brief comment from when I had surgery. I was SO much more comfortable on the sofa in the family room than I was on a bed when I got home. The sofa is low and narrow, and I was able to prop myself up with lots of extra pillows, and able to get out by myself without help. Also, I was on the first floor with no stairs, there was a TV and the computer right there, and my family and the kitchen nearby all day. You might think about a similar place in your home that will work for Nicole. Susanna

carolnj
11-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi Jennifer. I'm so glad to see your post - I was starting to worry! Funny how the mom in us is there for everyone's kids, huh? That's great news that Nicole is starting to eat and was able to get her catheder out. That must have been such a relief to her. I am sure you will both feel better once she is in her own home.

jc3
11-09-2004, 09:27 PM
hi susanna
I was thinking that she could sleep in her bed if she wants and then for her to lay on the couch during the day. I definitely do not want her in her bed all day long.
well i'll keep you posted on her progress
jennifer

jc3
11-09-2004, 09:28 PM
thanks carolnj for thinking of us. It's going to be a slow recovery process and i'll keep you all posted.
jennifer

susannajon
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
jennifer,

just mentioning it because i could not sleep or get comfortable in bed, but the couch was awesome, and easier to get in and out. my bed is so tall that i need a running start! i know you'll let her sleep wherevever it's comfortable, but my first night i lay there half the night in pain before I figured out it was the bed. after sleeping at an angle in the hospital for a week, the bed was too flat and hard. The couch was perfect. good luck and here's hoping by the time you read this she's home! susanna

jc3
11-10-2004, 08:24 PM
susanna,
i can't believe you posted that because i was just going to post on where would she be most comfortable. We got home this afternoon with nicole and when we came home we put her in our bed because her's is downstairs and i just thought it would be better for her to be near people, we got her in the bed and she was so uncomfortable. Then we ordered some dinner and we had her go on the couch with some pillows in back of her and her feet on a big otterman and she is so much more comfortable, but the only thing is she can't fall asleep sitting. I guess we should have her try and lay on the couch. When does it get a little better?
jennifer
anyone here from mamakay or bills mom yet? I hope all is well with the kids i'm thinking of them and can't wait to hear from them.

carolnj
11-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Jennifer! So glad to hear Nicole is home. That was one of my questions too - what do you do once you are home? I mean, its great that you are home, but how do you get them comfortable? I was thinking of possibly renting a hospital bed for the first few weeks and putting it in my living room. We have a while before we have to worry about that though so I'll just keep reading! Bill's mom posted an update on here - I think its on this surgery board.

How was the trip home? Did you drive or have a limo? Are you far from the hospital?

Well, I know I'm posting a ton of questions and you have so much going on with just getting through Nicole's surgery and helping her through recovery. I do continue to pray for her quick and uncomplicated healing - that every new days finds her stronger and pain free. Carol

jc3
11-10-2004, 08:39 PM
hi carol,
i wanted to get her a hosptial bed for at home, but the dr. said she did not need it and i even asked them at the hosptial and they said she wouldn't need it. She wishes that i had one here though. I think it would be a lot easier. I don't know why they said no to it. Does anyone else know? I'm curious. The ride home was fine. We are about 40 min. from the hospital and she went home by car and was fine, but when we got home she was kind of stuck in the car. It was hard to get her out. She really seems best so far on the couch.
thanks so much for thinking of us. I don't know what i would do without this board.
jennifer

susannajon
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Jennifer,

I would suggest letting her try to sleep on the sofa with as many pillows as she needs to be reclining but not totally flat. Let her experiment and find whatever works. I slept with a couple pillows under my head, and some under my knees. The first few days after getting home were not great, but it got better so quickly! By my 3rd or 4th day home, I was taking walks and feeling human. By two weeks post-op I was feeling almost completely normal as long as I didn't move suddenly. We're thinking about you guys! So glad you're home. She might be uncomfortable, but she'll sleep so much better at home than in the hospital.

Susanna

jc3
11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
hi susan,

Thanks for the great advice. I didn't know you had surgery. I thought you were looking for drs. for your daughter am i wrong?? When will she be walking less stiff? She seems so stiff?
jennifer

susannajon
11-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey Jen,

I didn't have scoliosis surgery, but I had major abdominal surgery last year, and being cut "stem to stern" with major muscles hurting, whether back or front, is a universal miserable experience. Mine was a 6 hour surgery, with two days in ICU, drains and a catheter, pca pump for pain, and a week total in the hospital, so a very similar experience. I am sure Nicole is going through a lot of the same feelings. I can tell you I was miserable about 10 days from surgery, and it got SO much better from there, where I was literally feeling 95% by 2 weeks. I will almost promise she'll be feeling so much better in a couple of days.

Susanna

jc3
11-10-2004, 10:24 PM
susan the surgery you had does sound very similar and thats what everyone says that it will get better. I can't wait. Actually, once the whole bed episode was over and she was on the couch she has not complained once all day. I am happy about that. She said there is no way she is getting into her bed tonight. Where ever she sleeps i just want her to be comfortable. I have heard a few people say that they were comfortable in a recliner, but we don't have one.
thanks again so much How is your daughter doing?
jennifer

susannajon
11-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Jen,

We don't have a recliner either. Just speaking for myself, it was just not comfortable laying completely flat, so a couch was the next best thing.

My daughter's doing pretty well. She's resolved to finding the best doc and getting her back fixed. We're just trying to settle on a doctor and get throught this school year!

I hope you ALL sleep well tonight!

Susanna

mumof5
11-11-2004, 12:50 AM
They say not to bother renting a hospital bed because it would only be needed for a couple of days and therefore not worth it. I know it doesn't seem like it now but it does get better.
Cheryl.

jc3
11-11-2004, 08:34 AM
really it would only be for a couple of days? She can't imagine what it will be like to feel better in a couple of days and either can i. I can't wait. She slept on the couch downstairs because it is a very wide couch and was comfortable. She woke up once for a pill and went right back to sleep. She is bored already she hates just laying there. My husband ran out and bought a seat for the toilet and it is much better. It was way to low for her.
thanks again for the advise on the couch because i don't think we would have thought of it ourselves and it helped.
jennifer

Peggy
11-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Congratulations on your daughter's surgery going well! What a relief. I know that this time is very stressful but just keep tucked in your mind that with each week there is steady improvement. One thing that helped comfort wise for my daughter was I bought her a mattress cushion that goes on top of her mattress. It just lays on top underneath the fitted sheet. It is like a down comforter pad. It is very comfortable and she loves it. I got it at a Bed, Bath and Beyond. As for time wise, my daughter really started showing a big difference in comfort at about 5 weeks. 8 weeks and she was really moving well. Keep in mind your daughter's recovery should be quicker and smoother because of having a single fusion not double. Keep positive and just think of all you have put behind you. Best of luck. Hang in there.

jc3
11-14-2004, 06:11 PM
hi peggy,
sorry i didn't write sooner. Thanks for writing. It is a relief that it is over, but i think this recovery is going to be a tough road. That mattress cushion sounds very comfy. I feel like there is no improvement but she did sleep all night last night without waking for a pain pill, so i guess little things like that means some things are improving. She is just so stiff and uncomfortable and any movement is painful. It is hard seeing her in pain and having to go through this.
thanks again for writing
jennifer

Emily
11-18-2004, 12:44 AM
How long has it been with your daughter having surgery?

Does she wish that she did not have it done?

is she in pain?

alot ?

little?

jc3
11-18-2004, 08:31 AM
hi emily,
Yesterday was exactly 2 week since my daughters surgery. I will ask her if she regrets it, but i know so many people that i've talked to that have had the surgery it seems like there wasn't one person that regretted it. I'm sure after my daughter is all healed she will say the same. She still is in some pain, but it's not like she came home and was crying all day long of the pain. She seems comfortable all day when she is on the couch or laying down. It still hurts her when she has to get up and walk around, but in time that will get better.
What are your curves? Any other questions just ask away
jennifer

Emily
11-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Hi Jennifer,

My curves are 60's my doctor wants me to get surgery but i am not sure if i should. One of my friends i saw the other day which i have not seen for about 4 years had the surgery about 6 months ago and she is walking around fine and everything. I asked her to show me her scar and it just blew my mind that it was like oh gosh.

And when i think about me having the surgery its like i am going to have a line down my back for life. It look like 1inch scar. I am not sure what to do now about what i saw but all in all, i wish this never happen to me or anyone!!!!!

Is your daughters scar like that?

jc3
11-21-2004, 11:20 PM
hi emily,

I'm sure it was scary to see your friends scar and think that you might have to have that done to you.
My daughters incision does go basically the length of her back but it is thin and everyone says that in time it will fade. I'm sure this whole thing is frightening to you so that is why you should take you time in making a decision and maybe do as much research on it as you can until you feel more ready to make the decision. If you get another opinion and the dr suggests that you have the surgery as well as the dr. that you've already seen, then maybe you will feel more comfortable with having it done. My daughters curves were progressing so quickly that we had no choice.
I'm sure it made you feel alittle better seeing your friend and knowing that she had the surgery six months ago and she was fine and all the people on here too are fine after their recovery. The recovery is slow, but in the long run it is worth it.
Feel free to ask me any more questions that you may have.
Jennifer