18 Months Post Op Appt coming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Months Post Op Appt coming up

Hi there! I'm new here and wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I am almost 18mths post op, and I am still having a good bit of pain. I returned back to work at 4mths post op, I figured I can have pain at the office, just as easy as at home. Anyhow, I have my 18mth follow up coming in a couple of weeks and was wondering if it was common to still be on pain meds this late in the game. I am currently taking one 24 hour time released Ultram, and about 2-3 Lortabs a day. I have been reading that some get off meds as early as 3 month post op, and that just seems amazing, I always thought I had a high tolerance to pain, but, at 3months I wouldn't of dreamed of getting off my meds.
    Judy
    Age 40, Louisiana
    18 hour A/P fusion (T2-S1) Jan.28th 2009
    2 1/2hour screw replacement Feb. 4th 2009
    Thoratic Curve 58 degrees corrected to 9 degrees
    Lumbar Curve 67 degrees corrected to 11 degrees
    Bone & Joint Clinic of Baton Rouge
    Dr. Kevin McCarthy

Judy--
    Hearing your story I can admit now to just getting off meds about 6 weeks ago. I had been slowly cutting back on hydrocodone and then was having a terrible time with my leg and hip. I skipped a couple "halves" and thought it was actually better. So I stopped completely. Still had a terrible time with my leg which didn't really get better until I went back to my chiro. He just using what he calls the "impulser". After 3 weeks of visits my leg is fine and I feel like I move much better. No thrusting of course from chiro. He reviewed my x-rays first. My back still feels very tight and has some really sore spots. No, I can't imagine being able to go off at 3 months either--or 10 for that matter. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi - I think each of us has a different set of pains and aches and there is no magical date to be off your pain medicine. You had a pretty big surgery with it being both anterior and posterior. That's intense. Mine was posterior only. My surgeon really encouraged me to get off my prescription pain med (Loritab) as soon as I could. So I began weaning at 4 weeks. At 5 weeks they reopened my incision so I was all stapled up again. I wanted off the pain meds as my body just didn't feel like my own. I had a drip antibiotic I was doing and I just hated all the medicine in my body. So at 9 weeks I got off my prescription pain meds completely and now do Motrin or Tylenol every 4-5 hours. For myself I felt soooo much better after I got off the pain meds. Now I will say I do have an achy back, but physical therapy and lots of activity are trying to relieve this. Last night I actually slept 8 straight hours. I am so impressed that you went back to work and are able to work with the meds in you. Your mind is good. I am planning to go back to work at 4 months, but only part-time. It sounds like you have done great with your recovery. You, your body and your Dr. will know when you are ready to wean off. I do suggest weaning off!!
      Take care!
      Shari - 55 years old
      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
      Post op 13 degree curve.
      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Thanks Janet & Shari!! Its good to have opinions from others that are in the same "boat". I knew going into surgery that it was going to be a long recovery period, I just thought that this late in the game I would be in less pain. Anyhow, enough of the whining, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger right?? Best of luck to you both on your recovery!
        Judy
        Age 40, Louisiana
        18 hour A/P fusion (T2-S1) Jan.28th 2009
        2 1/2hour screw replacement Feb. 4th 2009
        Thoratic Curve 58 degrees corrected to 9 degrees
        Lumbar Curve 67 degrees corrected to 11 degrees
        Bone & Joint Clinic of Baton Rouge
        Dr. Kevin McCarthy

Comment

Working...
        X