Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty Walking at 11 Months

Hi All,

It has been some time since I posted here, but I do read your threads often. I recently passed my 11-month surgery anniversary. Overall I have been very pleased with the results, particularly the absence of pain. However, I am concerned about my walking and thought that others of you may share this experience. I did read some earlier threads on this subject, but they don't quite fit my situation as far as I can tell.

My concern is that the gait of my walking is very slow and doesn't seem normal to me. My legs just won't move past this slow gait. It seems to me that I was walking better in my earlier post-surgery months. When I use my trusty Nordic Walking Poles, I move better but not normally. Have any of you experienced this or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Karen-- glad to hear that overall things are going well. I guess my first question would be if you have discussed this with your doctor at all, and the second question is if you have had any physical therapy. My first round of physical therapy (other than the initial post-op stuff) was at about 6 months, at which time we worked on my gait. I was walking with tiny, hunched over steps. We worked on my stride. I now walk like a normal person, if you want to put it that way. Some things like that take some work over time. Just wondering if you've seen anyone about it...
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks, Susie

Yes, in addition to the post-op therapy at home, I did go to PT at around 3 months. However, we worked on stretches, which I still do, but not on my gait. So I'll call my surgeon to discuss this when I get home from vacation tomorrow and see if he can give me another prescription for PT to focus on my gait.

Thanks for this great suggestion.

Karen
      Karen, 66 years "young"
      Polio at 6

Comment

Hopefully that will do the trick. When I went to PT at 6 months, I actually didn't realize quite how small my steps were... and I was looking down to make sure I wouldn't misstep! That came from walking outside here at our country home where the terrain is a little lumpy and I was afraid of turning my ankle and going down. I was quite proud that I'd been walking 2 half-hour walks a day, but I was just forming this new way to walk-- like a hunched over little old lady. And my muscles got used to that. After awhile, my therapist had me walking v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y on the treadmill, (at something ridiculous like 1.0) with my head held high, holding on tightly, of course, stretching out that stride.

Sometimes when I read how well a lot of these people do with their surgeries and how quickly they bounce back, and what all they can do, I am just in AWE! I think of the labored recovery I had. I think of how, towards the end of July (my surgery was in May) I went with hubby to do our "big shopping" -- we live about 40 minutes from a decent sized town to get groceries, so go every 2 weeks, and how when we were done and I was totally wiped out, I realized there would be no way I could go back to my full time job at school in two more weeks... We just are all so different. I admire you for working at this. I kind of pestered my surgeon about PT. I just wasn't strong enough. So he authorized me to have PT at 6 months and again at 11 months. Best thing he could have done. I swear I could use it again. My legs have gotten weaker on me for some reason. Oh well. My plan was to walk this summer but my sciatica was so bad to begin with. I'm about to try again. Wish me luck! And I wish you luck with your gait/stride!
        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Hi Karen...

Please take the issue to your primary care doctor. There are neurologic conditions that can result in slowness of movement.

Hope it's nothing of importance.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I took my issue of aching pain in my calves when going up stairs and now just walking anywhere to my gp. My calves ache terribly as do my hips on occasion. I told my gp all my symptoms because I know that the there is a possibility of a neurologic problem and he suggested a podiatrist to see if my legs were the same length. One fear was that I have PAD (peripheral arterial disease) and he said no, maybe my legs were a different length? Because of some other symptoms that I told him about that he attributed to drug side effects for, I made an appointment with a neurologist.
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I used to be very fast on my feet. It was hard for others to keep up with me unless they had long legs. I have slowed down post -opp. Combo of age and surgery, I think. I can walk fast in spurts, but it doesn't last long.

Feels normal to me,
              Shari

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. I'm going to call my surgeon today to discuss my gait issues. I'll let you know what he says.

Karen
                Karen, 66 years "young"
                Polio at 6

Comment

Thank you Karen,

I could never put my finger on how to explain the change in walking. You enlightened me with the true explaination, "gait change"!!!

Thanks,
                  Shari

Comment

I am having some "gait change" issues too. My sister/therapist said that it is from walking so stiffly for so long. My body just needs to be retrained to walk correctly again. She is working with me to stretch out all of my lower and upper back muscles and my leg muscles so that we can train me to walk with my normal gait. I also have to just remind myself as I walk to not walk so stiffly.

Interested in hearing what your sugeon says Karen, keep us posted.

Melissa

Comment

I just got off the phone with my surgeon. He asked me a number of questions, such as did I feel pain when I walk (no I don't), do I feel my gait has changed (yes I do, in the last few months). He feels I need to go back to PT to get a gait assessment so he is sending me a prescription first thing next week. I'll keep you posted. Again, thank you for all your messages.

Karen
                      Karen, 66 years "young"
                      Polio at 6

Comment

Karen-- that sounds like a good start to find out what's going on. It also sounds like your surgeon was concerned. Keep us posted with what you find out at PT.

Corrected to 15°

Comment

Glad you got some answers. Keep us posted, will be interested in what the PT says and how it goes.

Good luck with the PT,

Melissa

Comment

Yes, it sounded like my surgeon was concerned. I hope it is nothing more serious than retraining my walking gait.

Have a great weekend!

Karen
                            Karen, 66 years "young"
                            Polio at 6

Comment

PT for Gait Issues and Pain

Hi All,

Here is an update on my gait issues. I started PT on Tuesday this week. The initial assessment found that:

- I have hardly any mobility in my hips and ankles
                              - I have sciatica in my left leg from my butt to my heal
                              - My SI joint is misaligned.

All in all, I have serious PT work to do. My therapist is not sure she can help my SI joint so I will definitely bring this up when I have my one-year appointment with my surgeon on September 1.

I'll be back again with more updates.

Karen
                              Karen, 66 years "young"
                              Polio at 6

Comment

Working...
                              X