Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else with an August surgery date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else with an August surgery date?

Hi All,

My surgery will be 3 weeks from tomorrow...yikes! It has always been out there in the "future", but now it is "barrelling" down upon me. It has been so wonderful to read all of the posts from the "June surgery group". I was wondering if there is anyone else out there scheduled for August surgery?

Since I have read David Wolpert's book, "Scoliosis Surgery", at least 3 times , I am now reading "Preapre for Sugery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. I love the positive visualization techniques! Any other recommendations for mind-body pre-surgery books/DVD's?

My surgery date will be 8-2-10, and I just started to think that it would be much more memorable to have the date of 8-9-10 (all in a row). I'm hoping a teenager got that memorable surgery date!
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

August Surgery

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Bridwell August 31. I haven't read these books but will get them this week.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I am scheduled for August 31st, but that date could change. We're waiting for confirmation from a third surgeon.

Best,
      Brenda

diagnosed age 13: no treatment
      47 degree thoracic
      85 degree thoracolumbar
      surgery scheduled for Aug. 30 and Sept. 2
      A/P T-1 to pelvis with osteotomies & cages: proposed

Comment

I know this isnt a August date but my son is scheduled with Bridwell end of September, Im awaiting for comments after your surgeries to hear everything went fantastic...
        Kelly
        mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
        Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
        Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
        Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
        Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
        scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
        Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

I'm a lot older that your son but am looking forward to telling you everything went great after surgery!
          Age 56
          Thoracic 68
          Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

Good Luck KathK getting ready over the next few weeks. I can relate to your "barreling down" feeling, like wow this is really happening and it's coming on fast. Thanks for the reminder about Wolpert's book. I just went and got it back out. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 1st (not technically August). I feel being about 7 weeks out there's so much to do - I thought I would feel more prepared, and it being the summer with 2 kids I'm not getting alot done. I told my husband (in a minor freak out) that I need more time. He gently walked me back off the ledge, and reminded me that I'm ready for this (which I am) and I'm competent to prepare well for this - I just have to give myself the time I need. Also, if you search for pre-surgery relaxation cd's and dvd's and I think you'll find some suggestions. I recall seeing a thread on that in the past.
            Debra
            Age 45
            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
            Fused T4-T12
            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Great to hear from the "August/September" group!

Debra, your attitute seems right on the mark to me. Whenever my mind starts to "freak out", I, first, try to breathe and then remind myself that I have been preparing for this for a long time. After all of the preparations are done (or done to the best of our abilities), it comes down to a leap of faith. It comes down to placing yourself in the hands of an excellent surgeon and surgical team. I only hope I am blessed with the inner peace that others have found on the day of surgery.

Lisa, are you staying in St. Louis for a week or so after your surgery with Dr. Bridwell? I will be staying at the Parkway Hotel and will try to give you whatever info I can afterwards.

Brenda, keep us posted on your choice of surgeon and dates. You have a large thoracolumbar curve like me.

Kelly, my heart goes out to Cam. I have a 9 year old (daughter) and can't imagine her being the patient with this condition. I wish him all the best. Hugs.
              Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

Yes, they told me to stay for up to a week after I get out of the hospital since coming from Indy. I will stay at the Parkway I think. Looks nice and seems easiest. I have my 2nd appointment with Dr. Bridwell this coming Monday so I should have a few more details after that. I look forward to hearing that everything went well for you.
                Age 56
                Thoracic 68
                Dr Bridwell St Louis

Comment

August Surgery

I am a new member and my surgery is scheduled for August 2nd as well. I have been trying to post a message, but I am having trouble posting. I have contacted the Foundation requesting assistance with my posting. For some reason it is not recognizing me as a member when trying to post a new thread.

My name is Chris. I am 58 years old with 80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves. I am scheduled to have posterior surgery t-2 to pelvis. My surgeon is Dr. Matthew Geck with the Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center in Austin Texas.

I wish you much success with your surgery.
                  Chris, Austin, TX
                  80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                  Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                  C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                  New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                  Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

welcome!

Welcome, Chris, to the "August/September" group! We'll be anxious to hear from you as a "postie".

May the time fly swiftly until your surgery!

Best,
                    Brenda

diagnosed age 13: no treatment
                    47 degree thoracic
                    85 degree thoracolumbar
                    surgery scheduled for Aug. 30 and Sept. 2
                    A/P T-1 to pelvis with osteotomies & cages: proposed

Comment

St. Louis Surgery

Hi Guys: I can tell you having had surgery on March 1st by Dr. Lenke that the Parkway in St. Louis is very nice and you'll be well taken care of and as comfortable as possible. I stayed one night postop and then made the long enduring car ride back to Kansas. I'd be glad to answer any other questions if you want.
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi Chris, nice to know that someone shares my surgery "date". I will look forward to your posts after your surgery!

I also had to contact the NSF before I could post on the forum! So, we have that in common also!
                        Kathy

4 osteotomies and 1 cage

Comment

august surgery

I am scheduled for August 27th, fairly new to website. Dr. Smith (Las Vegas) is performing XLIF, 7 disks. Chose him since he feels rods would be overkill, versus all other surgeons consulted. 3 days hospitalization, brace 8-10 weeks. Disks to be placed in L5 - T10.

What book are you referring to? I would like to find out more about how to be best prepared!!
                          XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                          Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                          Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                          Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                          53 yrs old

Comment

Welcome Karena and Chris as new members. Chris I had trouble getting onto the forum in the beginning as well, but I'm glad you're on and posting. It's just been a wealth of information and comfort to not feel alone in this journey. Karena that's great you are a candidate for xlif, it's amazing what they are able to do in some circumstances. Hopefully, a similiar technique will be a viable option for adults with thoracic curves.

Kathy, thanks for starting this thread! It's a comfort to know others are at the same point as me, getting ready. I'm on a beach vacation with my kids and husband and trying to just enjoy them, but my thoughts are often on my upcoming surgery and others dealing with their surgeries. I'm really appreciating the "little things" though, like painting my toenails with my daughter and diving into the waves. But, I know those things will come back with time. Also, while at the beach I I keep looking for button up sundresses, thinking they will be easy to put on after surgery.
                            Debra
                            Age 45
                            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                            Fused T4-T12
                            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

My surgery is August 5th with Dr. Vora at Hershey. I had my pre-op today and just started to freak out. I've been planning almost every little detail from short-term disability to who will be caring for my daughter each day to even writing out a will. Now that I've signed all the consent forms at the hospital it feels like I have no control anymore. I know it's silly, but I'm sure it's just part of the panic process. However, part of my preparing is doing more with my daughter and husband than I have in a long time. I may even go on a roller coaster (even though I hate them) on the 31st.
                              Tiffany K
                              I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                              4'11", never braced
                              Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                              T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Working...
                              X