PDA

View Full Version : anyone else with an August surgery date?

KathK
07-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi All,

My surgery will be 3 weeks from tomorrow...yikes! It has always been out there in the "future", but now it is "barrelling" down upon me. It has been so wonderful to read all of the posts from the "June surgery group". I was wondering if there is anyone else out there scheduled for August surgery?

Since I have read David Wolpert's book, "Scoliosis Surgery", at least 3 times :), I am now reading "Preapre for Sugery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. I love the positive visualization techniques! :) Any other recommendations for mind-body pre-surgery books/DVD's?

My surgery date will be 8-2-10, and I just started to think that it would be much more memorable to have the date of 8-9-10 (all in a row). I'm hoping a teenager got that memorable surgery date! :)

LisaB
07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Bridwell August 31. I haven't read these books but will get them this week.

barleygirl
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I am scheduled for August 31st, but that date could change. We're waiting for confirmation from a third surgeon.

Best,
Brenda

CamsMomKelly
07-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I know this isnt a August date but my son is scheduled with Bridwell end of September, Im awaiting for comments after your surgeries :) to hear everything went fantastic...

LisaB
07-13-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm a lot older that your son but am looking forward to telling you everything went great after surgery!

Debra JGL
07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Good Luck KathK getting ready over the next few weeks. I can relate to your "barreling down" feeling, like wow this is really happening and it's coming on fast. Thanks for the reminder about Wolpert's book. I just went and got it back out. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 1st (not technically August). I feel being about 7 weeks out there's so much to do - I thought I would feel more prepared, and it being the summer with 2 kids I'm not getting alot done. I told my husband (in a minor freak out) that I need more time. He gently walked me back off the ledge, and reminded me that I'm ready for this (which I am) and I'm competent to prepare well for this - I just have to give myself the time I need. Also, if you search for pre-surgery relaxation cd's and dvd's and I think you'll find some suggestions. I recall seeing a thread on that in the past.

KathK
07-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Great to hear from the "August/September" group!

Debra, your attitute seems right on the mark to me. Whenever my mind starts to "freak out", I, first, try to breathe and then remind myself that I have been preparing for this for a long time. After all of the preparations are done (or done to the best of our abilities), it comes down to a leap of faith. It comes down to placing yourself in the hands of an excellent surgeon and surgical team. I only hope I am blessed with the inner peace that others have found on the day of surgery. :)

Lisa, are you staying in St. Louis for a week or so after your surgery with Dr. Bridwell? I will be staying at the Parkway Hotel and will try to give you whatever info I can afterwards.

Brenda, keep us posted on your choice of surgeon and dates. You have a large thoracolumbar curve like me.

Kelly, my heart goes out to Cam. I have a 9 year old (daughter) and can't imagine her being the patient with this condition. I wish him all the best. Hugs.

LisaB
07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, they told me to stay for up to a week after I get out of the hospital since coming from Indy. I will stay at the Parkway I think. Looks nice and seems easiest. I have my 2nd appointment with Dr. Bridwell this coming Monday so I should have a few more details after that. I look forward to hearing that everything went well for you.

jChris
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I am a new member and my surgery is scheduled for August 2nd as well. I have been trying to post a message, but I am having trouble posting. I have contacted the Foundation requesting assistance with my posting. For some reason it is not recognizing me as a member when trying to post a new thread.

My name is Chris. I am 58 years old with 80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves. I am scheduled to have posterior surgery t-2 to pelvis. My surgeon is Dr. Matthew Geck with the Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center in Austin Texas.

I wish you much success with your surgery.

barleygirl
07-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome, Chris, to the "August/September" group! We'll be anxious to hear from you as a "postie".

May the time fly swiftly until your surgery!

Best,
Brenda

RitaR
07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi Guys: I can tell you having had surgery on March 1st by Dr. Lenke that the Parkway in St. Louis is very nice and you'll be well taken care of and as comfortable as possible. I stayed one night postop and then made the long enduring car ride back to Kansas. I'd be glad to answer any other questions if you want.

KathK
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Chris, nice to know that someone shares my surgery "date". I will look forward to your posts after your surgery!

I also had to contact the NSF before I could post on the forum! So, we have that in common also!

karena
07-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I am scheduled for August 27th, fairly new to website. Dr. Smith (Las Vegas) is performing XLIF, 7 disks. Chose him since he feels rods would be overkill, versus all other surgeons consulted. 3 days hospitalization, brace 8-10 weeks. Disks to be placed in L5 - T10.

What book are you referring to? I would like to find out more about how to be best prepared!!

Debra JGL
07-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Welcome Karena and Chris as new members. Chris I had trouble getting onto the forum in the beginning as well, but I'm glad you're on and posting. It's just been a wealth of information and comfort to not feel alone in this journey. Karena that's great you are a candidate for xlif, it's amazing what they are able to do in some circumstances. Hopefully, a similiar technique will be a viable option for adults with thoracic curves.

Kathy, thanks for starting this thread! It's a comfort to know others are at the same point as me, getting ready. I'm on a beach vacation with my kids and husband and trying to just enjoy them, but my thoughts are often on my upcoming surgery and others dealing with their surgeries. I'm really appreciating the "little things" though, like painting my toenails with my daughter and diving into the waves. But, I know those things will come back with time. Also, while at the beach I I keep looking for button up sundresses, thinking they will be easy to put on after surgery.

TiffanyK
07-20-2010, 10:23 PM
My surgery is August 5th with Dr. Vora at Hershey. I had my pre-op today and just started to freak out. I've been planning almost every little detail from short-term disability to who will be caring for my daughter each day to even writing out a will. Now that I've signed all the consent forms at the hospital it feels like I have no control anymore. I know it's silly, but I'm sure it's just part of the panic process. However, part of my preparing is doing more with my daughter and husband than I have in a long time. I may even go on a roller coaster (even though I hate them) on the 31st.

Debra JGL
07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I wanted to wish Kathy, jChris and Tiffany good luck getting ready for your surgeries next week. I'm sure you're all very hectic getting things settled in your lives. Before you know it, it will be here and you'll be in recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

LisaB
07-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Yes, good luck next week with your surgeries! Keep us posted as you can. Kathy, I'll be anxious to hear about the St Louis stay since I'll be there for about 2 weeks.

jChris
07-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Debra and Lisa, thanks so much for your words of encouragement! Kathy, Tiffany, I wish you the best with your upcoming surgeries.

Kathy, I know we share the same surgery date. How are you feeling? I am on a roller coaster of feeling nervous, panicked, totally calm. I can't believe the surgery is so close. I am somewhat numb at times. I can't seem to sleep past 3AM or 4AM and my hubby tells me I am tossing and turning all night. I guess that is part of this "adventure".

I know I am in the best hands of my medical team and will come out the other side (as many of you describe) a much stronger person.

Good luck to all the August/September group. I hope to post soon after my surgery or will ask my husband to provide an update before I am able to get back to the forum.

Best regards to all,,,,,,

Doodles
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes, good luck to all of you in August and September. You'll play catch up with the lost sleep--after the surgery you will be doing lots of sleeping. All of your feelings sound very normal. We will await you on the other side and pray for great outcomes for all of you! You'll do great. Janet

gmw
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Best wishes to all of you. Before you know it, you will be on the healing side too. Bet most of us here have experienced the same feelings you all are. I know I certainly wanted to back out, but when it came time, I was calm and at peace about it.

Look forward to hearing from all of you after your surgeries.

Glenda

golfnut
07-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Best of luck to all of you having surgery in August or September.
Kathy, I'm anxious to hear from you following surgery since Dr. Lenke will be my surgeon in Jan.

I wil be thinking of Chris and Kathy on Monday. I'm hoping you have a smooth surgery and recovery.

Confusedmom
07-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Best wishes to all the August folks! Please do post (or have someone post for you) as soon as possible afterwards. There are many of us on the forum, I think, who think of you in the hospital and worry if we don't hear!

Evelyn

JenM
07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Tiffany-

I hate rollercosters too and I took my 2 kids to Hershey Park the weekend before my surgery. I figured I'd never be able to ride them again after surgery and wanted to have fun with my kids. It was a great time!

Best of luck to all who are having surgery in August. Can't wait to read your post-op postings. THere is so much support on this forum it is great!

JenM

TiffanyK
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Jen-

That is so weird! I'm going to Hershey Park on Saturday (the weekend before my surgery!). Sunday I'm off to the Lancaster Barn Stormers, minor league baseball team. Then only two more days of work after that!

JenM
07-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Tiffany-

I only live 1 1/2 hours from Hershey so we go there every summer. I am kind of bummed I can't go on rollercoasters anymore since my 5 year old loves them. So I took tons of pictures of us at Hershey hoping in a few years he'll look back and remember how I used to go on them.

What surgeon are you using?

KathK
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
I leave tomorrow for St. Louis. My central line placement will be Friday and surgery Monday. Thanks for all of your well wishes!

I will do my best to document the journey, especially things that are specific to Barnes and St. Louis for Karen (golfnut) and LisaB. Tiffany, I'll be thinking about you. jChris, good luck on Monday with your neck.

It's really been crazy trying to check off everything on my checklist and to keep exercising and to get plenty of sleep and to spend time with my daughter. My girlfriends threw a surprise "good luck" brunch for me on Sunday. It was the nicest thing. They brought me all kinds of puzzle books and novels :).

Today was rough though. I read a post on another thread that said that curve progression is not a significant enough factor to have this surgery and I pretty much freaked out. I have a large, progressive thoracolumbar curve and my primary goal is to halt progression and to stay upright and mobile in my old age. Maybe the forum needs a "happy juice" filter for those of us who are close to surgery. ;)

I will ask my huband to post on my behalf while I'm in the hospital. I would truly appreciate all of prayers and positive thoughts!!!

gmw
07-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Kathy -- I willl be praying all goes well for you on Monday and that you remain at peace about your decision and the surgery. It will be over before you know it and you'll be on your way to healing.

LisaB
07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Good Luck Kathy! Everything willl work out great! I'll be thinking of you.

Doodles
07-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Kathy--
What thoughtful girlfriends! You're in good hands with Dr. Lenke. I had central line on Friday and Monday surgery too. Lots of positives prayers and thoughts coming your way. Janet

golfnut
07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Kathy,
I will sure be thinking of you Mon. with positive thoughts and prayers. I'm thinking about calling Dr. Lenke's office with some questions on Wed. and will get a report from Kelly about your surgery. I know the thread you were talking about that bothered you. It upset me, also, until I read some of the other replies. We are lucky to have one of the best surgeons in the country.
How sweet are your girlfriends! I hope mine think to do something like that. Support is so necessary from family and friends.
Good luck! You'll be on the other side soon and you will start moving forward with your recovery.

ms gina
07-30-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm having my surgery on Sept 13 at Cedars with Dr Robert Pashman. It seemed like it was so far away, but the date I agreed to is getting closer. I feel like I have so many things to do prior to surgery, to make my arrival home post op easier for people to help me.

barleygirl
07-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Kathy,
Tons of hugs!!!!

Best,
Brenda

debbieinoz
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled for surgery August 12th for spainal fusion from S1 to T4 approx. My lumbar curve is 68 degrees. I look forward to hearing from others that have been through surgery as I am scared and not looking forward to the next 3 months or so.

golfnut
08-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Debbie,
Good luck with your upcoming surgery. It would be nice if we could just fast forward through the first several months following surgery. I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Confusedmom
08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Debbie,

If you have time in the next day or so, I suggest you post a new thread with your info. so people see it to respond to you.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I have a similar curve and will have surgery eventually, too. I'll be thinking of you! Let us know how it goes.

Evelyn

Doodles
08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Debbie--
Good luck to you. You'll be so glad to be on the other side of surgery so you can begin to heal with your new back. Positive thoughts coming your way. Janet

gmw
08-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Gina and Debbie -- Best wishes for your upcoming surgeries. You will be so relieved when you are on the other side so just keep looking forward. You'll have lots of support on the forum. Just put your fears and your questions out here and you'll hear from folks who have been or are now going through the same questions and fears.

Glenda

Debra JGL
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Gina and Debbie, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found it and are posting. I know I've found alot of support and connection with this great group. Gina, good luck to you about getting ready for surgery. Everyday I feel I'm getting ready. I'm trying to get my house into "My mother n law is staying over" condition (she'll be with the kids while I'm in the hospital), the kids school stuff, pre-cook, you know the list. It's good in a way because it keeps me from thinking too much. Debbie, I hear you about being scared about post op - think of the joy you will have about getting through the surgery and being on the other side to carry you through.

twinsmom
08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
My 16 year old daughter is finally schedualed for her 4th surgery August 31. Don't read any of my posts until after all of you come out fine from the surgery and recup time.

She is really a trooper and I hope to get her online with this forum. She could really help folks with questions for before, after, and anything in between. With all these surgeries she has always had a smile on her face, tried to do all the teenage things this summer.

She has a hunk of a great boyfriend going to Cornell on the 19th and she met him with her kyphosis!Since she couldn't sit through a movie, they went to Drive Ins. She has dealt with all of this with grit and grace -much better than me. Mary

Pooka1
08-07-2010, 11:53 AM
My 16 year old daughter is finally schedualed for her 4th surgery August 31. Don't read any of my posts until after all of you come out fine from the surgery and recup time.

She is really a trooper and I hope to get her online with this forum. She could really help folks with questions for before, after, and anything in between. With all these surgeries she has always had a smile on her face, tried to do all the teenage things this summer.

She has a hunk of a great boyfriend going to Cornell on the 19th and she met him with her kyphosis!Since she couldn't sit through a movie, they went to Drive Ins. She has dealt with all of this with grit and grace -much better than me. Mary

I think that would be a valuable addition to the forum if you daughter posted.

And you are doing fine in the face of a huge challenge. Nobody is judging you other than to tell you we know you are able to manage this.

Good luck.

barleygirl
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Chris,
I hope your recovery from cervical surgery is going well!

Debbie,
Best wishes for a smooth surgery on Aug. 12!

Best,
Brenda

debbieinoz
08-10-2010, 04:43 AM
My surgery date is August 12th in Sydney Australia. My curve is 68* in the lower back and I have shrunk at least 2" over the years. I will be fused from S1 to T5 (approx). I am 47 years old.

JenniferG
08-10-2010, 06:12 AM
I'll be thinking of you Thursday Deb. Is there someone who could update us with your hospital recovery? I know you're very nervous, which is perfectly natural, we all were. There's no easy way to get through the last couple of days, but you will make it. It won't be long before this is over with and you will be looking towards regaining your life after surgery. Best wishes!

LisaB
08-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Good luck Debbie! Will be waiting to hear everything went well!

ms gina
08-12-2010, 02:34 AM
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled for surgery August 12th for spainal fusion from S1 to T4 approx. My lumbar curve is 68 degrees. I look forward to hearing from others that have been through surgery as I am scared and not looking forward to the next 3 months or so.

My surgery is exactly a month away. By the time you have read this your surgery will have been completed. Hope to hear from you and hear how your doing.

ms gina
08-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Gina and Debbie, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found it and are posting. I know I've found alot of support and connection with this great group. Gina, good luck to you about getting ready for surgery. Everyday I feel I'm getting ready. I'm trying to get my house into "My mother n law is staying over" condition (she'll be with the kids while I'm in the hospital), the kids school stuff, pre-cook, you know the list. It's good in a way because it keeps me from thinking too much. Debbie, I hear you about being scared about post op - think of the joy you will have about getting through the surgery and being on the other side to carry you through.

Thanks Debra, surgery keeps getting closer sooner than later. Exactly 1 month from the 8/13, will be my surgery date. Hope to hear how you do post op, best of luck to you. The to do list keeps getting longer. When I actually review my pre surgery get ready list the priorities change. I guess thats part of pre surgery jitters

JenniferG
08-12-2010, 03:42 AM
Debinoz had her surgery today. Hope everything went well Deb and you're resting comfortably tonight!

gmw
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Deb -- thinking of you today and hoping all has gone well. Look forward to hearing from you when you're up to it.

Glenda

Debra JGL
08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Debbie,
Hopefully your surgery is behind you at this point and you're onto recovery. Looking forward to seeing your posts and how you're doing. Sorry I didn't post sooner to you, I was thinking of you, but this week was one of those "can't get to the computer" weeks, on the run with the kids. Wishing you all the best in recovery!

Debra JGL
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
This is just a shout out to Debbie. Hopefully you will be able to post soon and let us know how things are going. But know you've been in my thoughts and prayers and I'm hoping you are recovering well!

Debra JGL
08-30-2010, 08:39 AM
I wanted to send my prayers out to Brenda having surgery I believe tomorrow, and the twins mom whose daughter (I believe) is scheduled for surgery. I have Karena had surgery scheduled for Aug 27, so hopefully we'll hear soon. September will be a month of healing!