Sensations along back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensations along back

My first surgery was June 17 and then the doctor went back in June 29 to clean the incision and remove the bone graft. (We will replace it the last week of this month or the first of August.) I'm not sure if that makes me 3 1/2 weeks post op or 1 1/2 week post op!!!

I have noticed when my husband changes my dressing or washes my back off that I feel different sensations when he touches certain parts of my back. For instance, the top upper left feels like a normal touch, but the mid to low right side almost feels as though he's cutting/scratching me when he touches there. Both places are the same distance from the incision There are other places that have different sensations as well that are hard to describe. Has anyone else experienced this and when does it start to get back to normal? (I sure don't remember this from nursing school! It's completely different when you are the one feeling the sensations!!)

Hi Jenny - this is my biggest question too. I am 12 weeks post-op and am finally doing really good. The thing is I have alot of numbness, cottney feeling, and very sensitive to touch in my back. But like you this is in one area, but another area is just fine. Is it nerve driven or muscle driven. Some days it is better, other days really stiff and weird feeling. I think when I over do it, it might be more intense, and yet I think walking helps it. I am understanding this could last 6 months even a year. I wonder if some of you who are further post-op can share if you had this for long. Thanks for posting this question Jenny.
    Shari B.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

My understanding is that numbness, tingling, odd sensations, etc. can last for quite a while (as in well over a year based on what I've read on here). I am almost 6 mo's. post-op and I still have areas that are numb, some that itch (and even when my husband scratches them, I don't feel it) and places that are still just plain sore. I have a spot along the front of my pelvic bone that is still tender to the touch--am assuming it's still residual fluid or an adhesion. Our surgeries had such huge impacts on our bodies and I think it takes a long time until things start to feel normal, esp. with nerves healing. Right now I'm dealing with pain from a tooth extraction that has me reaching for some of the post-op drugs I used for my back! If it's not one thing, it's something else.
      Hang in ladies--it's just a long, slow process and lots of us are right there with you.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I asked that question of my surgeon at my 6 month visit. He said that if the sensation hadn't returned to normal by 12 months, it's unlikely to change. At 17 months post op I've had very little improvement in the numb areas which are mainly both buttocks, especially the right one, down to the top of my thigh.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you JenniferG, even though that wasn't the answer I really wanted to hear.

Comment

I am 5 years post-opp, I still have spots that are numb or feels strange when touched. I still have nerves coming back to life. I'll have a spot that itches and can't be scratched because it's seems like it's under my skin, after a few days I have feeling there.

We all heal differently, stay strong and be patient.
            Shari

Comment

I had extreme sensitivity with numbness (you all know what I mean, right?!) on my right side, along the anterior incision, for a long time. I think it took about 18 months for the sensitivity to lessen, and even longer than that for most of the feeling to come back. However, I still have a spot of numbness on my torso, where the abdominal muscles were cut in front, and I figure that's probably going to stay numb because it's felt the same for over a year.

From my experience, all of the weird sensations you're describing are normal and the extreme sensitivity goes away in time...but the numbness might not.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Mine was a year ago March and it's definitely still numb. The buttocks have finally gotten normal. At base of spine and bra line up is the most numb! Lots of tingly, sore spots still and burning spots in neck and top of shoulder when I've done too much. My neck has always been a problem and he made no promises about it. I must confess I can't figure out what the cottony feeling might be. Maybe I had it and don't know! Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyRN View Post
                  Thank you JenniferG, even though that wasn't the answer I really wanted to hear.
                  Don't despair Jenny, it's still early days for you and you will continue to get improvement for a long while yet. Mine improved, but not 100% but I have a long fusion and he did a lot of tinkering inside there.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

weird feelings everywhere

OMG thanks for this thread! A couple of nights ago, my hubby bumped my upper back with the corner of his pillow and I jumped a mile because it felt like he punched me! I have so many areas on my body that are so sensitive since my revision surgery. The front of my thighs still feel like a mild sunburn. Hubby says I'm like that game "Operation" !!!
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                    X