No announcement yet.

5 weeks post op - shoulders question for those who are fused high up around T3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 weeks post op - shoulders question for those who are fused high up around T3

Hi-

On June 8 I was fused from T3-L3. I will be 5 weeks post op on Tuesday and I am still having the hardest time with pain in my shoulders/upper arms/neck. THe pain still feels the same as it did at 1 week post op. For example, when I go to put my hair in a ponytail, I can't because there is so much pain in my shoulders. I just clip it up real quick and quickly bring my arms down because it hurts so much. I was just wondering to those that had high fusions when this pain will begin to subside and start to go away. I start physical therapy tomorrow so I'm sure they will work with these areas. Dr. Boachie said he cut tons of muscles up there since my kyphosis/scoliosis was high up and it will take time to heal. So for those of you who were fused around T3, did you still have pain around 5 weeks post-op? If not, how long would you say my shoulders/upper arms will start to feel better? Also, when I log roll into my bed, it hurts so bad to do this because of my shoulders. My shoulders honestly feel like they were run over or just punched a 100 times or something like that.

Thanks, hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful Sunday.

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

I am fused from T2 and feel pretty good. Sneezing is the worst thing ever. I did hurt today from doing shoulder rolls yesterday. My guess PT will hurt a lot but then you will be able to tolerate much more. I feel like I can walk more everyday. (By the way ponytails are hard for me too!) Not sure if you saw my post before, but I have a child's rail on my bed that helps tremendously with turning. Hope you feel better!
    Janet
    Last edited by jsully; 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM.
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

My fusion started at T3. I haven't had any shoulder or neck pain until yesterday. Then, the left side of my neck feels like I slept on it wrong. It is still very sore today, mainly when I touch it or lean my head to the right.

I can put both arms out to the side and reach with both arms over my head without any difficulty. I can put my hair in a ponytail (of what resembles one since I cut my hair prior to surgery.) I can shrug my shoulders up and down and do shoulder rolls.

My main problem is that alongside my incision areas up and down my back I have weird sensations, which is what I logged on to ask about.

Hope it gets better soon. Are you still on any pain meds?

Comment

Although I was fused from T4 I can't help much except to remind you that you're still very early days and this will improve a lot over the next 12 weeks.

For some reason I didn't really have back pain post-op. When I hurt, it seemed to be my entire body that hurt.

It will get better, of that I am sure.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jen - I hope your shoulders are starting to feel better. So sorry you're in so much pain. Hopefully your neck brace will give all those cut muscles a break, and time will continue the healing. This has been one of my worries for after surgery,having to raise my arms for washing and brushing my hair, putting it up, and putting on shirts. My fusion will start in the same place as yours. I've been shopping for button up shirts (and finding a front clasp bra). I think I'll just be wearing hats alot too. I've also been worried too about being able to wash my hair. Good luck with physcial therapy, hang in there.
          Debra
          Age 45
          Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
          Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
          Fused T4-T12
          Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
          Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Jen,
            I am asking my DR for PT next week. I keep walking hunched over from using my walker on long walks. It is training me all wrong. Now I have to train myself again. Good luck w/ PT!
            Janet
            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Debra,

Thank you so much for responding to my post.

The pain is still brutal, and is just as bad as it was on day 1. I don't understand why it's not getting any better with my shoulders/pectoral muscles/collar bone area. I still can't do my hair, it is so hard for me to shampoo my hair. I think the reason I got sooo much worse today is because yesterday my back was feeling soo good (so for the first time I did a load of laundry and helped cook and get on a step stool and bring kitchen plates down (which are rather heavy)). My left shoulder was always the worst one...that was the shoulder that kept having muscle spasms in the hospital. Well today, surprisingly my RIGHT shoulder/pectoral muscle/collar bone area felt like it was just smashed into thousands of pieces. When I log roll into bed, I am basically screaming!!! I think it's weird because no one else on this forum has really responded to my post and seems like everyone is doing good. Dr. Boachie did tell my husband and mom that he really had to do a number on me on my upper spine (maybe because I also have kyphosis?). I dunno.

Also, I am starting to get really DEPRESSED over the fact that I cannot lift my chin off of my chest. Dr. Boachie said this is a rare complication after surgery. Guess he wasn't too concerned 'cause he said come back in 5 months for my next checkup!!! I now wear a neck brace (which doesn't seem to be working) and started physical therapy this week. The CRAZY thing is that I am up in the morning with my neck perfectly looking forward, then about an hour later after I do alittle activity (like putting some laundry away, making breakfast, etc) my neck slowly moves down back to my chest. It is 9pm now and I am in sooo much pain from my neck I have to lay down. The upsetting thing is that my back feels GREAT and that's what i had surgery for. I didn't forsee that anything serious would happen to my neck. Also, my physical therapist seems alittle nervous about my neck too. She wants to call Dr. Boachie's office to discuss. So of course this doesn't make me feel any better. Just to point out to people who are reading this is that I didn't wake up after surgery with this neck problem. It was about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks later after surger it developed (in the middle of the night I wasn't sleeping in a good position and I couldn't move my neck in any direction. It was very odd.

Debra. thanks for checking in on me. Think if I was feeling better, I'd be posting alot more. Hope you are well and are enjoying your summer!

Thanks,
              JenM
              Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
              Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
              Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
              Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
              31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Oh Jen,
                I'm sorry to hear that the neck hasn't improved. Yes, I would definitely call the Dr.'s office about this--especially since the PT doesn't seem comfortable with it. Did he say how long you were supposed to wear the neck brace?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

So sorry Jen, I hope you feel better soon and I hope the PT help those neck and back muscles become stronger!
                  Janet
                  36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

After my surgery i had torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders as a result of using my shoulders to haul myself up from bed or a chair. They were brutal but I am pleased to say the pain went away as I was able to use my back instead of my shoulders to get up. I was told this was not unusual at all with the type of surgeries that we all have. I can't contribute anything about your neck but I have to think you are doing way too much. AT 4 or 5 weeks you should not be cooking or doing laundry. I am surprised nobody else has said that you are doing too much so I will. My doctor told me he wanted me to heal and not to do anything else but heal and walk. No pt or anything, just walking and taking care of myself. To sum up, the shoulders will get better as you get stronger and maybe that's true about your neck but I don't really know. Please ease up on yourself and rest and by that I mean don't put laundry away or cook. I don't think we realize just how physically brutal these type of surgeries are and how long it takes to recover.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

hi Jen
                      i, too, am shocked at how much you're doing...does Dr B. know this?
                      have you tried a few days just laying off all forms of activity like laundry, etc..to see if that alleviates some of the pain?
                      if your PT is concerned, maybe you should talk to the doctor's office yourself...?

hope you feel better really soon..
                      jess

Comment

Dear Jen-- I am so sorry you are having that neck problem! That must be frightening as well as frustrating! I am also sorry I didn't write a little sooner, but the problems I had were not as bad as what you have written about. My fusion starts at T2 and goes to L4, so one vertebrae higher than yours. YES, I was very sore in the shoulder/upper back area (and on down, of course) and that upper area was one of the longest hold-outs for being tender to the touch. Even now, at 3 years post-op, if I press near my scapular regions ("wing-bones") it is still a little tender. But of course, I don't press there, so I am fine. I do remember wondering last year WHEN it would ever stop hurting up there. And sometimes in the winter (and I live in northern Indiana where it gets pretty darn cold) I get the feeling like I'm a bug pinned to a board in one of my daughters' insect collections they had to do in high school biology. (Not pain, just being stretched and tight, and not movable-- that's the closest I can come to describing it.)

Anyway, I whacked my hair off really short before my surgery and was able to wash my hair and slip t-shirts on ok and even blow dry that short hair very quickly ok, although it did tire me. But with the short hair it didn't take very long! I just wanted you to know that my upper back/shoulder area did bother me-- just probably not as much as yours has been bothering you. I had initial PT right after the surgery, but I don't think that did much. At 6 months, I had PT to strengthen my arms (which, of course, strengthens your back too) and legs. And at 11 months I had PT to strengthen my core. Both sets of PT were great for me.

I sure hope you can get some relief soon!

Adding on: I hope this didn't discourage you-- even though it remained tender for quite awhile, it was certainly a workable thing. I had some limitations I don't see others having... I couldn't lift things because it hurt-- I couldn't lift things like a spaghetti pot to drain it because it was too heavy, or handle more than one dinner plate at a time (to carry)... I'm not sure what actions take those upper back muscles or not... But that didn't last too long. PM me if you have questions. Don't worry. You are young and resilient and will bounce back fairly soon.
                        Last edited by Susie*Bee; 07-15-2010, 08:10 AM.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

JenM, I'm sorry you are having such a tough time and are in so much pain. It does sound like you're doing a lot, especially when you are in so much pain. I still have not loaded a dishwasher, done a load of laundry nor any form of housework. My husband has been terrific in helping me focus totally on allowing my body to heal. If you have someone who can help you out, allow them to do so, while you focus on resting and doing what is needed for your body to heal. I do hope you are able to get some answers and move forward soon.
                          Glenda
                          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

I'm fused T2-L1, and I remember for the first two weeks post-op, I had the WORST shoulder pain and I also could not raise my arms during this time without stiffness, pain, and general soreness. I am now 15 months post-op and I don't have any shoulder pain anymore. My shoulders probably stopped bothering me at 2 months post-op, and the overall stiffness gradually got better, week by week. Pilates helps, but I don't recommend it until you're at least six months post-op.

Comment

Hi im fused from T3-L4, im two years post op now.
                              But remember when i had my op i was the same as you but it did get better, i got quite down thinking it was my worst idea to go ahead with the op, but am so pleased i did now.
                              It does take time. You are only 5 weeks which isnt that long still. I felt a lot better after about 2-3 months when i went back to work after 2 months, and once you start to feel better it seems to get better day by day then.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
                              Angela
                              x
                              Angela, 25 England.
                              75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
                              Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
                              Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
                              May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Working...
                              X