Back Pictures -- opinions please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Pictures -- opinions please!

Other than seeing a pain management doctor, I have no real clue what to do.

I haven't found a suitable doctor, nor do I even know if the pain I am having is due to scoliosis or something like thoracic outlet syndrome (or both?)

The curve is in the cervical/upper thoracic area.

Should I see a neurologist, a neuro-surgeon, an orthopedic surgeon?
    I want a full diagnosis and help determining what treatment options are suitable for me.

Please help me figure out what sort of doctor to see and let me know if you have any ideas regarding the cause and treatment of the pain. Does the scoliosis look like it is enough to cause daily pain as indicated in the images?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51950216@N04/

Have you tried a good Physical Therapist? That would be my first stop, although it sounds like you may need to shop carefully for one.

Also, have you had an MRI of the area?

Good luck,
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 07-10-2010, 11:35 PM. Reason: added info
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Your curve looks mild to me. However, with that said, it appears to be a very high left thoracic curve. I have the same curve pattern and I have many of the same symptoms that you have. This makes me wonder if the location of the curve causes the pain more than the severity. Severity and pain don't always correlate. I hope you get some answers!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Other than seeing a pain management doctor, I have no real clue what to do.

I haven't found a suitable doctor, nor do I even know if the pain I am having is due to scoliosis or something like thoracic outlet syndrome (or both?)

The curve is in the cervical/upper thoracic area.

Should I see a neurologist, a neuro-surgeon, an orthopedic surgeon?
        I want a full diagnosis and help determining what treatment options are suitable for me.

Please help me figure out what sort of doctor to see and let me know if you have any ideas regarding the cause and treatment of the pain. Does the scoliosis look like it is enough to cause daily pain as indicated in the images?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51950216@N04/
        Hi Cogito...

I agree with Gayle. A good physical therapist (one specialized in spine), should be able to help you. Your curve is very small (probably less than 20 degrees), so it's unlikely to be the cause of your pain. It's entirely possible that, because you have pain, you are holding your body in a way that is actually causing the curve.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi,

I didn't even recall that I had scoliosis until my back started to bother me about three years ago.

I told my mother about my back issues and she reminded me that as an adolescent they took me to a doctor about the scoliosis. He said that it was mild enough that no treatment was needed.

So, I don't think it is my posture that has caused the curve.

As for the symptoms, that's the question. Given the burning pain I get, it could be that facet nerves are getting pinched. But as I've noted, I wonder if it is something else like thoracic outlet syndrome. Of course, posture may also play some role in all this too.

I've seen some physical therapists. One is excellent. He's the P.T. that some of the surgeons here use for their personal needs. I saw him for years following a car accident in 2004 which damaged my hip and sacroiliac. He certainly helped with that. But neither he nor others have helped (much) with my back. They can relieve the muscle tension for a day or so, but by the next, back to usual.

I appreciate the point that the curve is mild. But as one poster noted, pain and degree of curve do not always correlate.

rohrer01 -- since you have a similar curvature and symptoms, what treatments (if any) have helped you?

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
            Hi,

rohrer01 -- since you have a similar curvature and symptoms, what treatments (if any) have helped you?
            Over the last 25 years (gosh that makes me sound old) I have only found ONE physical therapist that has given me exercises that helped. Now, as my curve has progressed, they only aggrivate it. Unfortunately, pain meds don't even help me now. I'm looking for a qualified surgeon willing to do the surgery because that is all I have left to try. Well, the pain doc wants to put in an intrathecal catheter to deliver low dose morphine directly to the spine. I'm seriously considering that route as well.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

I would have to agree with the MRI of the area.. just to be sure,,I seen you said tingling, burning pain involved.
              Kelly
              mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
              Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
              Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
              Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
              Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
              scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
              Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                Over the last 25 years (gosh that makes me sound old) I have only found ONE physical therapist that has given me exercises that helped. Now, as my curve has progressed, they only aggrivate it. Unfortunately, pain meds don't even help me now. I'm looking for a qualified surgeon willing to do the surgery because that is all I have left to try. Well, the pain doc wants to put in an intrathecal catheter to deliver low dose morphine directly to the spine. I'm seriously considering that route as well.
                I told you what the exercise was, but apparently that is not allowed and it was deleted, sorry. It was an upper back floor exercise. Ask your physical therapist about some and see what works for you.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I told you what the exercise was, but apparently that is not allowed and it was deleted, sorry. It was an upper back floor exercise. Ask your physical therapist about some and see what works for you.
                  No posts were deleted. If there was a deleted post, you would see a gap in the message number sequence.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    No posts were deleted. If there was a deleted post, you would see a gap in the message number sequence.
                    That's really strange. Are you sure part of the message wasn't deleted? Are we allowed to post specific exercises that helped us? Thanks, Linda.
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

That's really strange. Are you sure part of the message wasn't deleted? Are we allowed to post specific exercises that helped us? Thanks, Linda.
                      The software doesn't allow anyone but the user to edit a post.

You are welcome to post the exercise. It is, however, a good idea to always warn others to be very careful when doing new exercises not at the guidance of a qualified professional.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                        The software doesn't allow anyone but the user to edit a post.

You are welcome to post the exercise. It is, however, a good idea to always warn others to be very careful when doing new exercises not at the guidance of a qualified professional.
                        Thanks. I could swear that I was very explicit about the exercise and then put in the caution to ask his PT before attempting to do it.

With the above disclaimer the exercise is:

Lie face down on the floor with arms next to the body and palm toward the ceiling. Raise the shoulders off of the ground followed by lifting the arms toward the ceiling. Hold this pose for a few seconds and repeat 10 times. As you get stronger you can add weights to your hands. Start by doing this one time per day and increase as tolerated. These exercises do make you sore at first, as all exercises do.

This really helped my upper back pain, and actually I'm trying it a second time in the last several months and have been successful at not exacerbating my pain to an intolerable degree for three days in a row now. I'm hoping it helps again so I can reduce my narcotic and benzodiazepine intake. I'm also doing leg/hip stretches, upper shoulder stretches, lower back exercises, and easy core muscle exercises. These are all exercises prescribed to me by physical therapists along my journey. I pick the ones that seem to help and try to stay balanced in not leaving out critical areas of my back and abdomen. Again, please ask your physical therapist and/or doctor before attemptin ANY new exercise, especially if you are having "nerve" symptoms.
                        Thanks again, Linda.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

To add to the mystery, I remember reading your exercise. Not positive, but I think I remember the disclaimer too. FWIW I've had messages deleted. One night, a number of messages were deleted - all those posted over a particular period.

One poster and I had to reconstruct our messages - encouragement to a member having a hard time.
                          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
                            To add to the mystery, I remember reading your exercise. Not positive, but I think I remember the disclaimer too. FWIW I've had messages deleted. One night, a number of messages were deleted - all those posted over a particular period.

One poster and I had to reconstruct our messages - encouragement to a member having a hard time.
                            Thanks for validating this. I thought I was going mad!
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Stretches

I purchased "yoga for scoliosis" and tried most of the exercises. I circled those which have helped and added a couple of my own. I made up a single page for all of them.

The one that helps the most (of course which one helps will depend upon your curve) is standing upright, place arms straight up and bend to the side from the hip, trying to stretch out the muscles along the convex of your curved torso. Then repeat with the other side.

What works even better for me is -- lying on stomach, left arm up, elbow bent with palm on back (similar to if you were scratching your scapula). Then I have my wife press down between the scapula and the spine and raise up my elbow, stretching the arm, elbow still bent, upwards and holding... then repeating 3-5 times.

BTW, I've gone for a new MRI and uploaded one image indicating my curve (note that the image is flipped L/R).
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/51950216@N04/4821178669/

I've also been switched from oxycodone to Opana for evening breakthrough pain and have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon next week.
                              Last edited by cogito; 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X