A little antsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little antsy

I have been a little nervous ever since my surgery when I found out that my doctor used harrington rods for my correction. He said he used it so he could wire them. I have heard and read so many bad things about them I feel like I am going to have a panic attack. What are your feelings and experiences with the harrington rod? Also ever since my A/P my stomach in the side of my incision is really tight, like I have a small football in there. I also get muscle spasms there, kind of like contractions, especially when I eat. Is this normal?
    Leanna
    32 yrs. old
    surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
    90* pre-op
    23* post-op

I have heard negative things about the Harrington Rods also, and my surgeon mentioned that would be what he would use. I have another follow up consultation with him this afternoon to go over the MRI I had taken the other day and will ask some questions on this.
    Surgery scheduled for January 2011
    by Charles (Ted) Shuff
    http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
    -- Samuel Johnson
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi Leanna...

If you have wires attached to a Harrington rod, the technique is actually termed Luque rods.

Do you live in the U.S.? I think it's relatively unsual that this type of procedure is performed here any more. It is, however, performed a lot in places like India, where the cost of more modern rods and screws are too price prohibitive.

In regard to your side incision, how long is it?

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

my spine surgeon at uc davis said the Harrington Rods are not used as much no more. He used as he calls then fugey rods lol.
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

Leanna,

Please don't be nervous about Harrington rods right now! You got a fantastic correction, so that is something to be extremely pleased about. Harrington rods were used for many, many years in the United States and many people have done quite well with them.

If I remember correctly the main problem has been with saggital (forward/back) balance problems, which is treatable if it should ever develop. Hopefully it won't! If you have a problem with the Harrington rods, it will likely not be for a long time. This is not the time to worry about that, and just to focus on healing.

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Leanna,

During the first few months of my healing process, because there wasn't much that I could do, my mind would start spinning all kinds of strange thoughts. Don't get yourself caught up with everything that could go wrong. I did that, and it leads to depression and stress. You need all your strength to heal.

I had to find things to keep my mind busy. The meds made it hard to concentrate or read.

Ask your Doctor about the rods, just to ease your mind.
            Shari

Comment

If you're in the UK, using Harrington Rods with sublaminar wires is called the "Harri-Luque" technique, also known as a "Tex-Mex" because of where each system was designed

The rods referred to as Luque Rods in the UK are different, they're L-shaped solid rods used in pairs with sublaminar wires rather than having the hooks and ratcheting system of the Harrington.

I think it's important to rememember that there are lots of people out there who have Harrington Rods with no problems at all. I've had one since 1986 and although I had disc degeneration below the fusion (which was to be expected really), I've had no problems with the actual rod.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi Leanna...

If you have wires attached to a Harrington rod, the technique is actually termed Luque rods.

Do you live in the U.S.? I think it's relatively unsual that this type of procedure is performed here any more. It is, however, performed a lot in places like India, where the cost of more modern rods and screws are too price prohibitive.

--Linda
                Linda,

My daughter's surgeon was unable to use screws because Jamie's pedicles were to small. Do you think he might have used the technique you mentioned above? For some reason, I never thought to ask what type of rods were used. Now I'm curious and might have to contact the hospital.

Here's what her surgical report said: INDICATIONS: We had recommended doing Smith-Peterson osteotomies to help correct posterior her kyphotic deformity unable to use pedicle screw fixation due to the narrowed pedicles.

PROCEDURE: Hook preparation took place..at several levels. Monosegmental claw.....placed at several locations. We then performed laminotomies at T8-9 level and the T9-10 level, the T10-11 level for perparation of sublaminar wire fixation on the left and laminotomies were performed at the T11-12 level, then the T12-L1 level for a right-sided sublaminar wire. Two single beaded wires were at the T9-10 level. The wire at T12 was tightened to help catch the rod distally and using a compression device, the laminar hooks were further seated. A single cross lik was placed about the T11 level. The wires had been cut, tightened, and twisted over the rod.

Of course this is just several small parts of the surgical report. Thanks for any imput you have.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Hi Leanna...

--Linda
                  My side incision is approximately 10 inches long, maybe longer. From the left of my belly button over towards the rib he removed, Im guessing, is swollen, and numb. I get weird contrations their all the time. Ive noticed them there alot when I eat. My stomach is still a mess, its hard for me to eat alot. I havent been feeling well the past few days, not much appetite. I guess I am freaking out hopefully about nothing. I do live in the U.S. also. I didnt think they did it much here anymore.
                  Leanna
                  32 yrs. old
                  surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
                  90* pre-op
                  23* post-op

Comment

Leanna

A lot of people will use the word "Harrington" when referring to rod systems, kind of like using the word "jeep" when referring to 4 wheeling. You are not "jeeping" if you are in a Nissan Pathfinder....

The only way to know would be to ask your surgeon. If you have an x-ray to post, we might be able to help with identifying the system used. They wanted to use the Luque rods on me back in 1975, which are "L" shaped and use wires. If you go to "Quickdraw" Brads posts, you can see his x-rays of his Luque wire system.

It does feel a little freaky around the anterior cut area in the beginning. I also have a hard spot just to the left of my anterior incision. You have to realize that they cut through the muscles, and have sewed them back together very carefully. It takes time to heal...

Keep notes on your medications, food, bowel, sleep patterns. Don’t let yourself get constipated from the meds.... we see it often here, and it hurts...

3 weeks is a tough period... hang in there, soon you will be done with the hardest part.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                      If you're in the UK, using Harrington Rods with sublaminar wires is called the "Harri-Luque" technique, also known as a "Tex-Mex" because of where each system was designed
                      Very funny!
                      Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                      The rods referred to as Luque Rods in the UK are different, they're L-shaped solid rods used in pairs with sublaminar wires rather than having the hooks and ratcheting system of the Harrington.
                      That's the same technique that was used in the U.S. for several years, and is currently used in India.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                        Linda,

My daughter's surgeon was unable to use screws because Jamie's pedicles were to small. Do you think he might have used the technique you mentioned above? For some reason, I never thought to ask what type of rods were used. Now I'm curious and might have to contact the hospital.

Here's what her surgical report said: INDICATIONS: We had recommended doing Smith-Peterson osteotomies to help correct posterior her kyphotic deformity unable to use pedicle screw fixation due to the narrowed pedicles.

PROCEDURE: Hook preparation took place..at several levels. Monosegmental claw.....placed at several locations. We then performed laminotomies at T8-9 level and the T9-10 level, the T10-11 level for perparation of sublaminar wire fixation on the left and laminotomies were performed at the T11-12 level, then the T12-L1 level for a right-sided sublaminar wire. Two single beaded wires were at the T9-10 level. The wire at T12 was tightened to help catch the rod distally and using a compression device, the laminar hooks were further seated. A single cross lik was placed about the T11 level. The wires had been cut, tightened, and twisted over the rod.

Of course this is just several small parts of the surgical report. Thanks for any imput you have.

Mary Lou
                        Hi Mary Lou...

There's no way to know, from what you've posted, what types of rods were used. I suspect they were something of more recent origin. It's common in smaller children, that hooks and/or wires are used to connect to the rods.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
                          My side incision is approximately 10 inches long, maybe longer. From the left of my belly button over towards the rib he removed, Im guessing, is swollen, and numb. I get weird contrations their all the time. Ive noticed them there alot when I eat. My stomach is still a mess, its hard for me to eat alot. I havent been feeling well the past few days, not much appetite. I guess I am freaking out hopefully about nothing. I do live in the U.S. also. I didnt think they did it much here anymore.
                          Hi Leanna...

I had a similar big incision. (Thankfully, these big incisions are going out of style. Many surgeons are now doing mutiple small incisions, which are not nearly as disruptive to the musculature.) I had a similar feeling to yours, and it eventually got better over a long period of time. I have a friend who had the same incision, and still complains about the feeling >10 years postop.

--Linda

Comment

Ed--
                            Good to see you posting. I was about ready to start a thread on "Where is Ed?" We could have speculated on numerous places where you might be and many excellent adventures you were having. Perhaps you told us long ago about your next big outing and I forgot. Welcome back from wherever. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Ed,
                              I agree with Doodles. We miss you when we don't hear from you. I'm relatively new, but, please, please, don't stop with your comments. I love your attitude, humor, and most of all, your knowledge. Thanks!
                              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                              Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Age-60 at the time of surgery
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                              X