PDA

View Full Version : Great almost 2-year checkup today

debbei
07-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Dr. Neuwirth thinks (and I agree) that I am fully fused. I don't know if this perception is right, but for the last 6 months or so, when I bump some thing, or twist a little like I shouldn't, I don't have that 'broken bone' feeling any more in my spine. Does anyone else relate to that feeling?

I'm doing great, rarely have any pain, and if I have a little twinge I just take tylenol or motrin. I haven't even had a muscle relaxant in months! He asked if I'm exercising regularly and I am, and said to just come back in one year. The Xrays looked good, you could see the fusion, and I'm still well balanced. I'm still my new wonderful height of 5'3" so I haven't shrunk any more.

I was totally expecting that it would be a good appointment, but it's so nice to hear from The Man himself. I love my Dr. :)

Off to zumba now!

Pooka1
07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Congratulations Debbei! It sounds like you got a great result. These surgeons are amazing! :)

Doodles
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Debbei--That's wonderful! You sound great too. It must feel very nice to have it all confirmed by your doctor. Janet

Back-out
07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Super, Debbe!

Just curious, do you figure it really took the entire year 1/2 +/- to achieve this level of fusion, though?

Dr. Neuwirth IS a charming man.

Asked once before, I'll ask again from the depths of my ignorance - what IS "Zumba"?
And what exercise are you doing - besides the old faithful WALKING (and, of course, zumba, whatever that is)? :)

jsully
07-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Sounds Fantastic!
Janet

rohrer01
07-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Zumba is a dance to the beat type of aerobic exercise. I'm surprised with a spinal fusion you are able to do the moves. There is a lot of belly and hip movement to strengthen core muscles. And congrats on your good checkup!

JenniferG
07-09-2010, 12:01 AM
How time flies (when you're having a good time!)

Congrats Debbe. Good to hear how well you are. I bet the Zumba keeps you very fit. Does this mean you don't have to see Dr. Neuwirth again?

JenM
07-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Congrats, Debbe. That is excellent news! When do you have to go back and see Dr. N again, in a year?

debbei
07-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi All,

I have to go back again in one year. I think that sometime within the last 6 months I have been totally fused. That's when the wierd 'back is broken' pain stopped when I'd turn or bump funny.

I certainly can't do all the zumba moves; I just do what I can. Believe it or not I can do hip movements, but not exaggerated like others can. When I can't do one of those core movements, I just keep my core as tight as I can, while I'm doing all the other leg/arm movements. I think this HAS improved my core strength, because as a rule, I don't generally go around with my core tightened up during my regular day. :)

ADMoul
07-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Congratulations, Debbe on the great check-up and to hear how good life is 2 years post-op. You have been such an inspiration and supporter for many of us on here that have had surgeries in the last year--like a "big sister" for us rookies!:) Thanks for all of your help and keep doing those Zumba moves!

golfnut
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Congratulations, Debbe! I'm glad you got a good report.

dolores a
07-09-2010, 05:55 PM
To one of my first contacts on this forum!, so glad to hear this encouraging news, now I will hopefully know what to look for a year down the road! When you mentioned this broken back feeling, as of the past couple of days I've been having horrible achey pains down in the right lower back, you know what I think I will post a thread on what is going on with me. This thread is for your very good progess, so happy for you!

LynetteG
07-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Outstanding news - I'm so very happy for you :)

doodie
07-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Debbe -
This is certainly good news! I can't believe it's been 2 years for you already - WOW! You were one of the people on here that I followed closely from your forum beginning to now...

Just wanted to tell you how much I have appreciated your honest questions that you never hesitated to post AND your cheerleader response to so many on here - you have been so helpful - you are invaluable!

Best wishes!