Another update on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another update on me

I had my first surgery 6-17 with a posterior spinal fusion from T3to L3. A week later, I was home, but had horrible pain and drainage when I was sitting. After a few days, the drainage had a little bit of an odor and I went back to the doctor (laying in the back seat of the car.)

He admitted me that evening 6-29 and reopened my incision, cultured it to determine if there was an infection, and removed my bone graft to reduce the risk of infection. The culture closest to the skin did show a possibility of infection but also could have had normal skin bacteria in it. The doctor decided he wasn't taking any chances.

He had a PICC line (long term iv) inserted in my arm so that I could have 6 weeks worth of antibiotics just to be sure. There was also a part of a muscle that had died and that was where most of the drainage was coming from. He also inserted a drain so that we could measure the drainage this time. It made a huge difference immediately in sitting up. I was discharged after 4 days.

Now, I'm able to walk with my walker and sit without much difficulty. I got my drain removed two days ago. I'm sleeping alot and the high doses of antibiotics make me ache all over like I have the flu. I'm slowly able to wean down on my pain meds. The doctor is hoping to go back in to replace my bone graft in another 3-4 weeks. I will have to continue my antibiotics afterwards. I feel like that will put me back close to square one. After that surgery, I HOPE to be on a road to complete (and normal) recovery.

On a good note, my top curve went from a 70 degree (increased 5 degrees in the last few months) curve to 26. And my bottom curve went from 55 degrees down to 24 degrees. My shoulders are even. Most of my rib hump is gone. I gained an inch - still didn't hit the 5 foot mark. And best of all, I can take a deep breath without that restricted feeling on my right side!

Wow, sorry to hear of all your complications. The good news is that you caught it before it became a full blown infection! It must be nice to be able to breathe, a major plus I would say. Hang in there and let your body heal and strengthen for what is to come. Gentle ((((hugs))))
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Jenny-- thank you so much for letting us know what's going on with you. I'm so sorry you've been having such problems! The surgery itself is enough to have to deal with! It sounds like your surgeon has you on a good course to solve the issues, and hopefully you are not feeling too discouraged about it all. (Although it would be hard not to feel disappointed about having those complications, of course.) How wonderful that you have such a great correction and that you can breathe so much better now! It sounds like your life is heading in the right direction! I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for the update - I was thinking of you. Sounds like you're doing well, all things considered and your doctor is not taking any chances. You're doing it the hard way, but you're most certainly going in the right direction.

Hope the 3-4 weeks flies for you. Meantime, take care of your diet. Are you allowed to walk?
        Last edited by JenniferG; 07-09-2010, 12:02 AM.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Joining the encouraging chorus.

It's a shame you have extra hardship, but it sounds like a finite problem. Kudos for you for your dedication to returning to work. I remember how much you said you love it (Neonatal nursing, right? That DOES sound like fun, and nice, lightweight patients!)

Hoping the worst is all behind you.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Thank you all for the encouragement. I don't think I realized until today just how frustrated I was becoming at my setbacks. I have my mother or mother-in-law here to help with me and the children. My husband and I don't know what we would do without them. I'm very thankful for them, but I'm ready to have some privacy in my house again!

Jennifer, I don't have any walking restrictions, just the normal weight restrictions. But for the last month, I've only been to the hospital, doctor's office, and I've walked to my grandparent's house next door twice. I'm starting to feel like a prisoner in my own home.

It's nice to have this forum to be able to share this experience with people that are in the same boat as me! Thanks so much for being there!

Comment

Hope you get to feeling better real soon. Sorry about the complications.
              Janet
              36 year young cardiac RN
              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

I am sorry for the set backs but it sounds like you're in the right direction! Hope you start to feel better soon!
                Sandie
                Fusion is scheduled for November 4, 2010
                T10 - S1

Comment

Jenny,
                  Thanks for the update. I'm sorry you had complications and a delay in your recovery, but it sounds like your going to be doing fine with this behind you now. Good luck with a smooth recovery from here on.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jenny,

Thank you for posting this. I'm really sorry you have to go through all of this. I'm sure like most of us you had a plan in mind for when you would recover, etc., and this disrupts that. But still you got a great correx, and you will be much better off in the long run!

It's a good thing you are a nurse, because I don't think everyone would have recognized that as a possible infection. Good you were able to catch it before it got worse.

Keep us posted & we will keep cheering for you!

Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Jenny,
                      I hope you feel better soon!
                      Janet
                      36 year young cardiac RN
                      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Wow Jenny - you have certainly been through the mill. Thank goodness you are now truly on the road to recovery, and things will only get better from hereon in. You sound like a strong positive person, which is great, that will get you through this setback. I wish you all the very best.
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                        X