Back Home AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Home AGAIN

I am finally back home again after 4 more days in the hospital. Things went well for the most part. The pain related to this surgery was not nearly as severe as the first time around.

The doctor (I really like him) said that he was 3/4 of the way happy. He ended up cleaning out the entire incision and took the bone graft out. There was a portion of my muscle that had gotten necrotic (or died) and that was what was causing the drainage. He took that out of there too!

We did 4 cultures of different places in my back. Three have stayed negative so far, and the one that was positive had gram negative rods which is usually a contaminent found on the skin. This culture was on the fluid at skin level so he isn't concerned that there is a true infection, but nevertheless, he has sent me home with a picc line and on antibiotics for the next 6 weeks or so.

If all stays the same, he is thinking about replacing the bone graft in about 2-5 weeks. I'm not too crazy about having to go back for surgery that soon, but he said that the next surgery will be fairly easy as far as the immediate recovery period goes.

Oh, I might as well add that I should not have worried at all about my kids. They are being very loved (or spoiled rotten) by my mom and my in-laws! They may not ever want to come home!

Hey Jenn, sounds like all went pretty good. I have been worried about you. 4 days was the same as my second stay. Waiting for cultures to come back. A week from today I get my picc line removed! Woo hoo, it will be 7 weeks for me. Any questions as you get rolling with yours just shoot a note. Do you have the syringe push? Or the drip bag?
    I have had both. Amazing how much we learn about medical and our bodies through this experience. I am just so glad to hear things turned out well and you are back home. Enjoy this weekend and your boys, including youe hubby.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

hey Jenn..glad to hear that you're back home and that things went well...hope the next 6 weeks fly by and that it is uneventful...

Shar...congratulations on completing the antibiotic regimen! hope that is it and all is fine...

question?...have either one of you had the round ball of antibiotic...the one that does not require gravity to infuse into the line? it was developed from knowledge from the American space program..they found a way to deliver fluids without needing gravity! it was so cool..i carried it in my pocket and did infusions anywhere/everywhere!
      but they were expensive and insurance didnt like paying for them!

jess

Comment

Good luck Jenny. Hope everything goes smoothly and you maintain your upbeat attitude. Let us know how you go with op. #3. You're doing it the hard way, but you sound great.

Congrats Shari. You've done well too. Hope this is the end of it for you.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I have the round "Eclipse" for my antibiotics. It is pretty neat.

Congrats Shari on completing your round of antibiotics.

I'll post more when I'm not as "drugged up" from my pain meds. My lower back was really hurting this evening. I probably won't know any more about the doctor's plans until my appointment next Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
          X