Set off metal detectors in the Capitol Building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set off metal detectors in the Capitol Building

We just got back from a trip to Washington, DC. There were metal detectors in all the government buildings and Smithsonians. Sheena set off the detectors in the Capitol building and the Library of Congress. They didn't make too big of a deal, just wanded her after she explained. We just weren't expecting that.

There's talk that they're going to install the full body scanners here in Houston (I think Hobby airport). Guess they'll get an eyeful when they see all that metal! Should make for some interesting conversations around the watercooler.

LOL. I was thinking about that too. We already have the full body scan in LAX and i was thinking that if i had surgery, it's gonna set off the metal dectetors every time when i go to the gov't buildings and airports.
    62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
    45/50 year 2000
    36 yrs old
    Considering, researching surgery for the first time
    S. California
    http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Sherie,

That's strange. My daughter went to D.C. a few months after her surgery and she didn't set off any of the metal detectors! I wonder what the difference is--her rods or if they've installed more sensitive metal detectors?

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I don't know why some people set them off and others don't. She's set them off at every single airport we've been through in the States (can't remember if we had any problems in Japan). The body scanner may actually be a good thing for her if it means she won't be pulled off to the side to be searched.

Comment

That's interesting. I just graduated from GWU in DC and luckily haven't set any metal detectors off! Haven't been in the capital building or library of congress since surgery thought! I babysat for two boys who's mother worked in the senate building and I was always afraid I was going to set of the metal detector and the boys would run off while I was being wanded/explaining my self! We also had Michelle Obama at our graduation so secret service was in charge of security! We had to go through metal detectors and they were "randomly" wanding every 4-5 people! I figured I wouldn't set off the metal detector but if they had wanded my back it would have beeped like crazy!!! Luckily I wasn't wanded! I haven't set off a metal detector since surgery but I always get a little nervous before going through one!
          Sarah
          22 year old grad student
          Boston brace from 12-14
          surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
          Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
          Thoracic curve 47*
          Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
          http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

Hi Sarah
            I just looked at your photos, you have nearly the same amount of hardware as Sheena. She has one more level and a few more screws but I can't believe that would make such a difference. It must be the composition of the rods. That's really strange.

Comment

Sherie,

I was wondering why some set off the metal detectors and not others. My first thought was Jamie didn't set them off because she doesn't have any screws in her back. But that theory was blown by Sarah. It's so weird!

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My rods are Stainless Steel and I set off the metal detectors every time at the airport. I believe you are less likely to set them off if they are Titanium.
                Patty 51 years old
                Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                Posterior T3- L4
                Pre surgery curves
                T-53degrees
                L-38degrees
                and a severe side shift to the right.
                Post surgery curves
                Less than 10 degrees
                Surgery April, 2006
                C4 - C6

Comment

Sheena has stainless,

Mary Lou, what kind of rods does Jamie have?

Comment

Honestly, I don't know. Sorry.

Mary Lou

Comment

Some people set them off and others don't. I didn't set them off when I went for Jury Duty a few months ago, and I also didn't set them off when we were on a cruise last week. I fully expected to have to pull up the back of my shirt to show my lovely scar, but I didn't have to.

BTW, my rods are stainless steel.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                      X