what did you experiance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did you experiance?

Had a really weird dream last night that I was about to have the operation and while I was laying on the operating table I asked if they were going to put me to sleep before they put a chest tube in. They said no so I just got up and left.
    I'm supposed to have posterior surgery of thoracic spine. Does anyone know if I would need a chest tube for sure with that? Can anybody give a run-down of pretty much how everything went post and pre operatively during a posterior spinal fusion of thoracic spine?
    Surgery scheduled for January 2011
    by Charles (Ted) Shuff
    http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
    http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
    -- Samuel Johnson
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi Davis,

There are many, many threads on here that you can read about post and presurgical experiences. Try following some of these people to get a clear picture of what it is like. Have a nice day!
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Hi Davis! I just had the anterior/posterior surgery 2 Fridays ago. I for one did have a chest tube. Don't panic about it like I did. IF you have to have it they leave it in after they do the surgery, but seriously I didnt even know it was there. You dont see it or feel it. It will be okay However, I may warn you that when they give you something to relax you before the surgery, it is kind of like a truth serum Everyone that was around found out that I thought my doctors were hot and I don't remember a thing.
      Leanna
      32 yrs. old
      surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
      90* pre-op
      23* post-op

Comment

hey Leanna
        glad you are on the healing side!

i thought that truth serum stuff knocks you out so fast there is no time to talk...maybe that's just what my doctors wanted me to think! ...any time i had surgery...which has not been for fusion.... yet...

Comment

The pre-op put me straight to sleep. I don't even remember the theatre. I recommend it to everyone. But I think you have to ask - for me at least, it wasn't offered.

Davis, I had posterior only surgery for a thoracic curve and yes, I had a chest tube. I would have been very concerned if I thought they'd put it in prior to anaesthesia, but it was done after I was asleep. But then, I'm a baby about these things.

I woke up with it in, but didn't even realise it was there for a day or two. It was taken out Day 3 and I felt nothing. It is nothing to worry about.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna View Post
            it is kind of like a truth serum Everyone that was around found out that I thought my doctors were hot and I don't remember a thing.
            Your surgical report interested me, I looked your doctor up.

He IS hot! ( Are there more??)

Anyone besides me noticed how much more than average attractive, scoli surgeons are as a group? Not all (and the ones who aren't by conventional standards, often are appealing in other ways).

Maybe I'm turning into cougar material or something, but along with dentistry (?) this seems to be a field that attracts good looking docs. (God forbid, I would be under and reveal I find my doctor repellent!)

It's already bad enough that one surgeon I'm considering is an Arab.

Nothing against Arabs and especially not him, of course. OTOH I found myself carefully monitoring my revelations. (All med history from Israel was edited out). Just don't want to risk pressing a nerve with him, just in case. You wouldn't know, but it IS an area that is serious with almost all - if anything, more so when they live in the US than at home.

I hope I don't come to or go under, speaking Hebrew. Well, if it's afterward, I guess I'm OK no matter what his feelings. My last op, the PA was an Israeli surgeon come to learn from my Korean surgeon. My physical was entirely in Hebrew. That was OK.
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

hey everybody, thanks for teh responses and directions on where to look to find more answers. I'd just like to get a better idea of how this is gonna go.

The pre-op put me straight to sleep. I don't even remember the theatre.
              What do you mean by "theatre" ?
              by Charles (Ted) Shuff

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
              -- Samuel Johnson
              -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

theatre=operating room

J.

Comment

o, ok. thanks for clarifying.
                  by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
                  -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks Jess. I'm from the dark ages. It has probably not been called the operating theatre for decades.

Comment

eh, it's all semantics.
                      by Charles (Ted) Shuff

-- Samuel Johnson
                      -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Hi, I am 10 weeks post op from surgery. I had T2-L1 fused, posterior only. Sounds similar to yours. I to was very worried about tubes. No chest tube was used. In pre-op w/my husband they dropped something in my IV and next thing I was in recovery with no tubes! Just oxygen in my nose and a back drainage tube. This was at the base of my incision and it was a day before I realized it was even there. Hope this helps. Please don't worry as I did. It is all ok! Good luck.
                        Shari - 55 years old
                        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                        Post op 13 degree curve.
                        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi Davis,
                          I'm 13 weeks post op. When you say "chest tube" is that the same as "central line"? I did have a central line put in the day before surgery. It goes in right under you collarbone area, and they use that to put in your meds, and anything else they need to put in you. It's really a good thing because they aren't sticking you all the time and everything goes in that one area. I was totally awake when they put it in and I really didn't feel anything except a little pressure while it went in. They then bandaged it up and I left the hospital until the next day, when I came back for surgery. I had the posterior surgery for my thoracic scoli...they fused me T3-L2. I am very happy I did it. Click on the links below my signature line to see my before and afters..and check out the before and after xrays too. Best of luck!
                          Laura
                          62 degrees
                          49 yrs. young
                          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Mine was the central line too, which I assumed was the "chest tube". Someone might clarify that the two are the same?

Comment

no..not the same...

i believe chest tubes are usually used for drainage...and also for problems with lungs...

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X