PDA

View Full Version : Back home at last!

Leanna
06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Had my surgery Friday June 18. Took almost 10 hours from what I was told. I had a 90 degree curve and the doctor took it down to 26 degrees :o The best part is that I am 4 whole inches taller:D They didn't use titanium like I was told. He used steel harrington rods so he could wire me for a better correction. They sent me to a rehab center the following Friday and let me go home today. Its still very painful, especially the anterior portion and I am swollen and numb in that area. I am surprised I am getting around so well. When would I expect the swelling to go down?

LynetteG
06-30-2010, 12:25 PM
So great to hear what a fantastic correction you got - that is AWESOME!!! My swelling took about six weeks to go down after a posterior surgery. I wish you a smooth wonderful recovery, glad you're home!

Doodles
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Leanna,--Congratulations! Four inches is amazing. I think Lynette is probably right. It is so gradual with the swelling, I don't really remember. Hope the healing goes well. Janet

Confusedmom
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Glad you're back--congrats on the awesome correction!!! We were all wondering about you. Are you sure they used Harrington rods? They can use steel rods & screws, just like the titanium ones. Wow--four inches! How tall are you now? And who did the surgery?

Congrats again!

Evelyn

CHRIS WBS
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
My goodness; you must feel like you're on stilts. It's amazing what they can do with young spines. Would love to see the before and after. Congrats!

JenniferG
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
That's an amazing story. Congratulations Leanna! Being so much taller must be great! Hope your recovery goes smoothly. Enjoy your new body!

Leanna
06-30-2010, 05:37 PM
I was 5'2'' before surgery. Now Im 5'6''. The tallest I have ever been was 5'5''. It feels like I am looking out someone elses eyes when I walk around. My fantastic team of doctors is Dr. Paul Pagano assissted by Dr. David Thomas for my anterior. They are truely amazing. I was very skeptical of them before surgery because of lack of information, but they have been so caring and all seems to be well. The hospital and the rehab spoke so greatly of Pagano. They all told me if they had to have surgery they would choose him to do it. No wonder there was such a long wait to see him:o

golfnut
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Leanna,
Congratulations! 4 inches-WOW! I'm glad things are going well!

jsully
06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Wonderful news! Glad you are home!

Back-out
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
That's just fabulous Leanna. It must be incredible to walk around your house and find you're suddenly able to reach into the top cupboards!

I used to be 5' 6 1/2" and now I'm measuring in at 5' 2 1/2" - 3" :(. I experience just the opposite all the time - "hey, I didn't realize that pantry was out of reach". I'm the person people stand next to, to feel tall if they're behind in their adolescent growth spurt, or they're starting to shrink in Muddle Age!

What a dream come true, THAT must be! Where did he get the height from? Thoracic, lumbar or both? (Or - hey! - Did he just stretch those legs a little the way they're doing surgically in China lately? :D)

No kidding, did the stainless steel help achieve those results? I wouldn't mind being a bit magnetic to get some of that back...Of course, I'd have to be sure of using my Israeli passport to visit, with all the alarms I'd otherwise set off in "Bitakhon"!

Congratulations!!!

theizzard
07-01-2010, 05:25 AM
I am totally jealous. I need an extra 4 inches. I went from 5'2 1/2" to 5 foot nothing. I guess if my scoli curve had been straightened I would have gained height but he didn't do that. He just aligned me so that I could stand up straight and not tilt over. Maybe next time....
avis

naptown78
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Leanna,
It is so good to hear a great success story from a surgeon other than Lenke. It just shows that there are so many other surgeons out there that people just have not heard of. I'm glad you did well and hope you continue to recover uneventfully :-)

kammckillop
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Leanna,
First off, welcome home to you! Sure it feels much better to be at home. I see that you had a significant curve. My 15 yr old DD son, also has sig curve plus rotation. Dr. is recommending front back procedure...two surgeries within a week or two of each other...also 8+ hours each. Was wondering if you had two. He will also be using harrington rods. -Kerry, NY

Leanna
07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Leanna,
First off, welcome home to you! Sure it feels much better to be at home. I see that you had a significant curve. My 15 yr old DD son, also has sig curve plus rotation. Dr. is recommending front back procedure...two surgeries within a week or two of each other...also 8+ hours each. Was wondering if you had two. He will also be using harrington rods. -Kerry, NY

I did have two surgeries also, anterior and posterior. They were going to do them a day apart but decided to go through with them in one day. He had another surgeon there to help with the anterior procedure. I was expecting around 13-14 hours, but it only took a little under 10 hours. Hats off to my surgeons :)

ADMoul
07-03-2010, 08:22 PM
What a success story, Leanna! Congratulations. Great that you found the right Dr. and did this while you were still young. Best wishes for continued health and healing!!

Shari
07-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Congrats from me as well Leanna. That is a great correction and I love your "truth serum" story.:) I can't wait to hear how happy you are 6 months from now!!!

Never forget how strong you are either,
Shari