PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone on Forteo

LisaB
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm having surgery with Dr Bridwell Aug 31. After my first appt I had a bone density and pulmonary function tests. Bernie told me he will want me to go on Forteo because of my spine bone density. (hips and wrist/forearm were good; spine bad) You have to give yourself daily injections for 2 years. Supposedly it builds bone and improves density and helps the fusion processs. I just turned 56 and don't understand how bone density can be good in hips and wrist but not spine.

JanL
06-30-2010, 05:20 AM
I was mildly "osteopenic" prior to surgery and also advised to take Forteo which I did. It helps with bone "remodeling" which helps with the fusion process. I figured I'd do whatever I could to assure a solid fusion. My most recent bone density (2 1/2 yrs post op) still shows I have mild -moderate osteopenia but of course they couldn't do it in the spinal area with all the implants.

Back-out
06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Looks like a top[ic that comes up periodically...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10435&highlight=forteo
I wish I knew how safe/unsafe it really is in the long run.

LisaB
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Jan -
Do you take anything now that you're finished with Forteo? I've been taking Evista and now will switch to Forteo. Hopefully I'll go back on Evista after 2 years. Evista is a SERM rather than a biphosonate. and it protects from some types of post menapausal breast cancers.

JanL
07-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Lisa

Right now I am onlt taking calcium but I see my PCP late August and will discuss options then.