Greenthumb 3 Weeks Post Op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenthumb 3 Weeks Post Op

Dr. Lenke did a fantastic job on my back. Meds really help with the pain. Dr. Lenke's nurse is constantly working with my sis to keep me pain free but not addicted. The narcotics keep me a little confused all the time. I feel like I can do more than I really can. Tried to show my sis my garden, almost passed out half. Thankfully no set backs in hospital. Had a few awesome nurses and a few nurses who should seek a new profession. My advice is to always have a family member or advocate there with you. Many of the nurses did not check my chart before coming to help me. Things have gotten a lot easier in the last two weeks. The two must have are a raised toiltet seat WITH HANDLES, a bedside handle to assist with sitting up with the log roll. Of course everyone comes home with a walker.
    Teresa
    Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
    62/66 degrees pre-op
    Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
    20/17 degrees post-op
    SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
    Mom to:
    Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

HOORAY, Teresa and Dr. Lenke! Welcome back.

Great highlighted advice and thanks for filling us in. Folks have worried - not seriously, considering your doc, but - you know....

HEAL!!

Amanda
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

That's awesome, congratulations!!! When do you find out how much correction you got?

How do you get a handle on your bed?

As always, confused.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

It's really great to hear that things went well and your pain is being kept in check! Yes, the pain meds can be deceiving and make you think you can do more than you can, so please be careful.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

Teresa--It's wonderful to hear you are home and doing well. Take time to baby yourself & don't try to do too much. It's really early. Congrats! Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I'm not sure the correction. I think I will find out at my first post op appt. To me the curves look like about 20 maybe...or less! It is a remarkable difference. As far as the handle for the bed we talked to the occupational therapist about our need for the raised toilet seat. She gave us a catalogue from Drive medical supply. We found what we wanted and then ordered it from Amazon.com. They arrived the day my husband got home from St. Louis. My husband had it all set up and ready to use when I walked in the door.
            Teresa
            Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
            62/66 degrees pre-op
            Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
            20/17 degrees post-op
            SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
            Mom to:
            Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

Comment

That's great info., thanks!

Another question--how long did your husband stay in St. Louis? We are doing some tentative planning for possible surgery with Dr. Bridwell. I'm wondering how long my husband should plan to be off work?

Thanks!
              Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                That's great info., thanks!

Another question--how long did your husband stay in St. Louis? We are doing some tentative planning for possible surgery with Dr. Bridwell. I'm wondering how long my husband should plan to be off work?

Thanks!
                Evelyn
                Must talk to you about this and other "weighting" in decision. Appreciated your helpful advice in other thread. Just returned from consult #4...

And NOW my sons are ready to do their FINAID for the year - only three months late. It would HAVE to be tonight! Deadline. "$150 isn't chump change for me" re son #1. "Don't stress me", re son $2.

And I had just invited my saintly volunteer driver out to a nice meal! *Sigh* Another trip - if he'll have me!

GRRRR. Out to Kinko's before my momentum wears off, to copy a lot of numerical gobbledegook. Such FUN awaits you folks who haven't yet had to wade through the FAFSA and the College "Profile"!

Question: Which is more enjoyable, scoliosis surgery or college financial aid applications?

Another question. What to make of it when you ask a surgeon's coordinator if he's looked at the new X-rays you just had done per his order, and she WHISTLES after saying fervently - "uh-HUH!" ? (Then can't explain what she means because of HIPAA!? )
                Last edited by Back-out; 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM.
                Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Sorry, Teresa. I'm really SO excited and relieved to finally hear from you and that things went well.

One step forward for one scoli patient, a giant step forward for "SCOLI-Kind"!

Comment

those "professionals" who make comments and whistle are no professionals at all!
                    for a doctor to say how severe something is ..that's acceptable to me...to hear crap from nurses...they should be trained in how not to scare patients!

jess

Comment

Teresa,
                      I'm glad you're doing so well. Dr. Lenke will be my surgeon, so naturally, I hope all of his patients are happy with him. Could you tell me what the bed handle is to help with the log roll?
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Awesome Teresa!! I am 3 weeks out Friday. Going swimming tomarrow for the first at time and cannot wait! Dr said my incision is healing well and my laying down xray post op showed about a 30 degree curve as compared to 70. Maybe it will be more accurate standing at my post op appt. My husband measured me. I don't think I can stand up all the way straight yet but only gained 1 in. I agree with you. for thr most part my hospital visit was for the birds. The nurses not believing the amount of pain you are in and so forth. I am a nurse and could never want or get away with the way I was treated. Good luck on your home recovery. It gets easier every day!
                        Janet
                        36 year young cardiac RN
                        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

hi Teresa
                          am also so glad that you're healing and doing well..but it's a shame about the nurses...they need more training in pain management!! and bedside manner, too!

hope you feel better every day...

jess

Comment

Hi Teresa
                            Good luck on your recovery, the first few weeks are the roughest but hopefully pretty soon you will notice a significant improvement in your pain and energy level. As a nurse myself, I wanted to put in a compliment for my nurses in Indy. I did not have one bad nurse or tech. They were all wonderful and caring. But I know there are always some bad apples and they do not belong in post surgical units!!!
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Teresa! YEA! I'm so happy to hear things went good for you! Just 13 weeks ago I was in that exact same hospital, with those exact same nurses!!! LaToya was the BEST!!! There were others that weren't! St Louis is beautiful this time of the year, too. Especially the area of Wash U and the hospital. Just know things will get better for you each and every day! Let me know if you have questions!
                              Laura
                              Laura
                              62 degrees
                              49 yrs. young
                              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                              X