"Bone-on-bone" procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bone-on-bone" procedure?

Late to the party as usual, reading David Wolpert's acclaimed book (and also a thread on this forum), I see there is a specialized technique pioneered by a Dr Gaines called "bone-on-bone:. David reports about it very favorably in his current edition and also in a few threads here which were controversial at the time.

They were posted in 2005, though, and I wonder whether any new developments on that front have occurred since then. I also see that one was posted in the kid forum which is probably meaningful.

I hope I haven't missed any more recent resolution in professional opinion about this approach (as reported here). but if the search engine is working, it appears to be an empty spot - at least on this forum. What happened between 2005 and now regarding "B-on-B"? Back then, Linda Racine reported that professional consensus was it carried a strong risk of leading to increased kyphosis. Is that still the last word on the subject?
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
    Late to the party as usual, reading David Wolpert's acclaimed book (and also a thread on this forum), I see there is a specialized technique pioneered by a Dr Gaines called "bone-on-bone:. David reports about it very favorably in his current edition and also in a few threads here which were controversial at the time.

They were posted in 2005, though, and I wonder whether any new developments on that front have occurred since then. I also see that one was posted in the kid forum which is probably meaningful.

I hope I haven't missed any more recent resolution in professional opinion about this approach (as reported here). but if the search engine is working, it appears to be an empty spot - at least on this forum. What happened between 2005 and now regarding "B-on-B"? Back then, Linda Racine reported that professional consensus was it carried a strong risk of leading to increased kyphosis. Is that still the last word on the subject?
    The fact that he hasn't published any long-term results is potentially a sign that the cynics were right.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

By the way, this would have been a good example of using an older thread instead of starting a new one.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        By the way, this would have been a good example of using an older thread instead of starting a new one.
        I did a careful search, first, to see what it was all about. I was astonished to see no one had asked about it for FIVE years, especially considering what a Bible the Wolpert book is.

I didn't think reviving a thread that old made sense. The whole point was - what's happened re this technique for the last half decade? Surely, there's a statute of limitations. Old news is no longer news.

Yes? (No?)
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
          I did a careful search, first, to see what it was all about. I was astonished to see no one had asked about it for FIVE years, especially considering what a Bible the Wolpert book is.

I didn't think reviving a thread that old made sense. The whole point was - what's happened re this technique for the last half decade? Surely, there's a statute of limitations. Old news is no longer news.

Yes? (No?)
          If you were searching for something specific, wouldn't it be easier if all the results were in one thread instead of a bunch of different ones?

Comment

Linda-- it seems like you're being kind of picky here-- I realize it's good to conserve on threads, but there are tons of duplicate threads out there, and obviously Back-out was curious/concerned because of the 5 year gap/silence and was just putting some feelers out there. I may be out of place by saying something, but it doesn't seem like something she should be chastised for.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
            X