Is this a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a problem?

I haven't been posting very much lately because I've been having some problems the past month or so. I just went to my OB/GYN because of the problems and now she has me going for blood work for my thyroid and pituitary. What if it comes back that I have hypothyroidism (which is what I think it is)? My surgery is August 5th. Is this going to cause a problem? I really don't want to delay my surgery.
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Tiffany--I'm just guessing that it shouldn't make a difference. I have taken thyroid and I just had to stop it a few days before. If they get your level OK, I think it would be no problem. I am not sure but there are many on here with more medical expertise than me that can probably help. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks Janet! I'm sure I'm just freaking out because even though my surgery is still 6 weeks away, it feels so close to me. I have a count down on my cubicle wall that's how excited I am to do the surgery. I was nearly in tears from the thought of it being delayed.

BTW, my daughter's nickname is Doodles!
      Tiffany K

29 years old
      4'11", never braced

Comment

I'm just curious where you are having your surgery, with what doc? I have curves almost exactly the same size as yours and significant pain and am having trouble finding a doctor that will listen to me. I'm double thoracic with 46* upper and 38* lower.
        Be happy!
        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
        but we are alive today!

Comment

I have low thyroid and take .5 Mg of Synthroid daily. They had me take it right up to surgery day and never stop. So this should not be a problem. I hope it is not for you also, but your doctor will let you know.

Good luck with everything, I am sure it will all go fine. I know the anxiety and worry about all the details that you go through right before just knowing that something will go wrong to delay this day that you have been waitning for. But it will happen and you will be on the other side soon.

Best wishes.

Melissa
          T9-L5 Fusion
          Pre Op 60 Drgree Lumbar Curve
          Post Op 20 Degree Lumbar Curve
          Surgery March 31, 2010

Comment

The Doc that did my pre-op assesments, found that i was hyperthyroid and upon testing further, found that i had a hot nodule. When i askled him if this would cause a problem for surgery, he said that, it was a good thing that we found this out, as being either hyper or hypo is something that requires monitoring, but, that it did not matter in regards to surgery.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Tiffany--I like your daughter's nickname! From other responses I don't think you would have anything to worry about. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

So many of us seem to have thyroid problems! I have Graves Disease, though have been told I am in remission.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you everyone for helping me relax about this! I really appreciate the help! I'm trying to lower my stress and things like this keep popping up to drive me crazy.

Rohrer- I'm having my surgery done at Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA by Dr. Vora (who is on the SRS list).
                  Tiffany K

29 years old
                  4'11", never braced

Comment

I have been hypothyroid for 26 years and have been taking thyroid hormone for it since then. I took my med up to the day before my surgeries and then the nurses gave it to me in the hospital after surgery. No problem... Good luck with your surgery Tiffany!
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                    X