Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could digestive issues clear up after surgery???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could digestive issues clear up after surgery???

Hey, I am due to have scoliosis surgery the 1st of July. I am having rods and screws put in from my pelvic bone to T8. And ofcourse it will be fused. And I was fused from L3/4 L4/5 in 2006. Anyway, the past eight months I have had terrible gas pain and it is unbearable and inbarassing as heck. I might add though that last Sept. I underwent a "revised" gastronectomy , I had done to remove an ulcer in 2003.(it had to be corrected.)So that probably or may have something to do with the gas. But I just have a feeling my spine may have something to do with it also , as it is pushing my insides around. I would appreciate some input on this and see if anyone has had this problem or would know anything about it. It sounds reasonable that it could be my spine pushing on my digestive system and causing problems. I am hoping it is resolved with the surgery. Also, I would appreciate all prayers , as I am so very scared about this whole thing. Bless all of you that have and still are suffering with scoliosis. boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Sorry I can't answer your question as I have not yet had surgery. I wanted to tell you how nice your post was. I, too, have digestive issues. I have the worst stomach pain. I'm ready to go to the doctor for it. I am wondering if the scoli is partially what's causing this, too.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

"It sounds reasonable that it could be my spine pushing on my digestive system and causing problems."

It definitely sounds possible. To me, it stands to reason that being stretched out again would take some pressure off various organs.

I never had the digestive problems pre-op but since surgery, I do occasionally get indigestion which I'd never had in my life before. Not sure what the reason for that is. It happened the first time while I was still in hospital. I never realised how painful indigestion can be.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My doctor told me that severe lumbar curves can cause problems with the gastrointestinal system. As someone on this site said: "When the spine curves, it takes the organs with it." Hope it's that and the surgery fixes it! We'll be thinking of you; please post after the surgery to let us know how it went!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
          My doctor told me that severe lumbar curves can cause problems with the gastrointestinal system. As someone on this site said: "When the spine curves, it takes the organs with it." Hope it's that and the surgery fixes it! We'll be thinking of you; please post after the surgery to let us know how it went!

Evelyn
          Hmm. Didn't know that.

One surgeon I saw asked about my appetite, indicating that my stomach was being somewhat compressed by my scoliosis and that it couldn[t hold as much. One brother who is about to have a gastric bypass was jealous when he heard that - well, within reason.

Now that I think about it, I must admit my appetite is NOT what it used to be. However, between being more sedentary and valiantly forging ahead with recreational eating, I don't seem to be wasting away!
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

GI Problems Better After Surgery

My GI doctor just laughed when I asked him (pre-surgery) if my scoliosis could be contributing to my GERD, esophageal ulcer, mild gastroparesis, etc. So, I didn't expect much to change after surgery.

But it did!!!! My surgery was in January 2010. I do not take Prilosec anymore or Pepcid AC. I am careful not to carelessly eat a spicy meal before bed or drink soda, chocolate, etc--but I feel like a new person! My stomach acts like it should.

So, no matter what the GI doctor said, my personal opinion is now that everything is STRAIGHT--my esophagus works like it should and so does my stomach. Hopefully it stays this way.

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
            X