Help! Ouch - Shoulder pain from log rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Ouch - Shoulder pain from log rolling

I never liked log rolling ever since they taught it to me in the hospital. I think I never liked it because I didn't learn it right. I feel too weak to do it to get out of bed, especially first thing in the morning. Well the past week my husband went back to work and I am pretty much home alone by myself during the day. 3 days a week my sitter is here with my kids, but the other 2 days it is just me alone. Sometimes a friend will stop by. Well anyway, I started log rolling differently because my entire body is just sooooo sore. FOr about a week it seemed easier too get out of bed. Now, I am pushing up on my left shoulder to get up to get out of bed. Starting yesterday, I can barely use my left arm or shoulder. Feels like I was punched in the shoulder. I've never had shoulder problems before. Has anyone else had this pain in the shoulder? Just wondering if it is common. Should I just ice it? Where do I get those big ice packs that the hospital uses? I only have small ones here at home. Sorry for complaining, I just feel like I have a different problem every day!!!! Lastly, and probably most important, does anyone have any tips for log-rolling where I wouldn't hurt my shoulder? I'm already worrying about when I an 60 plus years old how the hell am I going to log roll?

I'd love to hear from you all as usual with any tips you may have for me. My shoulder feels frozen!!!!! Have a great day everyone!!!!!!!!

Love,
    Jen M
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

I never did too well with the log-rolling thing, either. (Just naturally uncoordinated.) I think the shoulder pain may be part of this process. My left shoulder is still tight and sore when I try to raise my arm back or stretch and I'm 5 months out. I'm trying to stretch it out when I swim, but I think some of it is from muscles that have been re-configured. I think somewhere on here is a thread/video that's really good for showing you how to log-roll. I know I had to have some help with it from the PT people when I first came home. Getting in and out of bed was one of my toughest issues during those first weeks. Hang in, Jen.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

PS - I got a nice, flexible ice pack from PT people I worked with before my surgery. It's bigger and it's easy to mold to whatever part of your body hurts. Maybe available through a medical supply store or on-line?

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Jen,

It may not be your log rolling that caused it. I found out that getting a frozen shoulder is a common side effect of patients that have long back surgeries, from being in the same position with your arms above your head for such a long time. It happened to me, within a few months my shoulder was so sore that I could hardly lift it above my head. I went to an ortho who xrayed to make sure nothing else was wrong, and then I had PT 3x a week for 2 months. Now it is TOTALLY back to normal.

Sometimes at PT my therapist would put heat on it for 10 min, we'd work it, and then aftrewards we'd put cold packs on. why don't you get advice from the Dr. B's office?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for the info Anne. Appreciate it.

JenM

Comment

Ok, thanks Debbe. I will call Dr. B's office today. I'm never sure if you are supposed to apply ice or heat.

Comment

You poor honey

I remember how weak I felt after the surgery and how difficult log rolling was - like I just didn't have enough strength to push myself up. When I first got home my sister or husband helped me get up but one evening they were out on the deck and I got myself up unassisted and felt so proud of myself! What worked best for me was using my bedside table to push off from. We have a memory foam mattress which doesn't really give much resistance when you push on it.

I don't know about your shoulder pain though... you say you were using that left shoulder/arm to push up with? I pushed up from that side but used my right arm across my chest to push up with. Like Debbe, I didn't have that 'frozen shoulder thing' until about 4 months later. Felt like my muscles were rock hard and would shatter if I lifted them up too far. I wasn't able to raise them up very much for several months. I could still shower and do my hair and stuff but I couldn't hang up shirts or put glasses in the cupboard etc. I just kept working at it and stretching as much as I could stand every day. Moist heat is a huge help. My PT guy always says heat for warm-up, ice for cool down, meaning heat before exertion, ice if necessary afterwards.

Before surgery I used a huge flexible ice pack the size of my entire back that I would put behind my back when I got home from work every day. Heat didn't help me anymore and I found that ice dulled the pain for awhile. I got it from my physical therapist.

I feel for you being alone right at first - I had days here and there when I was completely alone and felt a bit panicky...but I managed fine. Just take it slow and easy.
              Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
              Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
              Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
              A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
              Achieved +70% Correction
              Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
              New Spine 03/19/2009
              New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment