Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cry or Cuss or Both-Surgery rescheduled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cry or Cuss or Both-Surgery rescheduled!

I am upset. Dr. Lenke's office just called and due to conflicts with SRS my surgery has been cancelled for Nov. 1 and was rescheduled for Dec. 1, which means I probably couldn't help celebrate my dad's 90th birthday on the 17th or feel like traveling for Christmas. She also had Jan. 5 open. I just called back and said that I would take that date so that I can enjoy the holidays. I am so disappointed. I had hoped to be well on my way with recovering from surgery with the worst behind me by Christmas. I also had planned to chip and putt by the spring of the year, but now this is 2 months later than planned.
    I am on a list in case there is an earlier cancellation. I think about this surgery every day and to add two more months of stressing is not making me happy.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Karen - how very frustrating for you! I can only imagine what you are feeling right now because there is so much mental preparation involved with this surgery, as well as planning around important celebrations and holidays. But there is the possibility of a patient canceling and there being an opening for you - this has already happened with my surgeon but I wasn't ready yet!

Hang in there!
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

So sorry! I was specifically told this was likely to happen with Dr. Lenke once he assumed the SRS presidency in September, and it DID worry me. In fact, I gather it is entirely possible for such cancellations/postponements to occur with much less notice. However, I was unable to wait until he could fit me in, anyhow, owing to insurance and other time constraints (probably why his coordinator was so specific with me about this possibility).

It is SO frustrating and disappointing! Try not to forget the big picture, though. You are privileged to be able to have one of the very best scoliosis surgeons of our day operating on your spine! In the long run, nothing matters more than that.

Best of luck!
      Last edited by Back-out; 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Karen, I'm sorry this has happened and go ahead and cry and cuss. I scheduled my surgery and I know I'm getting geared up for that day, and a change would be upsetting. But, you know you are in great hands with your doctor, you're ready for surgery and it WILL happen - just now most likely in January. I hope you'll soon mentally re-adjust to your new date and enjoy lots of fall golf, the holidays with your family and your Dad's birthday.
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

I'm so sorry Karen. I don't blame you for wanting to cuss and cry.

I am hoping you will get a cancellation and can be far enough post-op to enjoy your father's birthday and be back in the swing next year. Fingers crossed.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry. The waiting is the worst isn't it? I had surgery scheduled with one doctor in Nov. 08 and then switched to Dr. Lenke and couldn't do it until March 09. It gave me lots of time to prepare myself physically and to drive myself a little crazy. Wish it wasn't so but hope for a cancellation. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

So sorry to hear that Karen, I hope and pray they get a cancellation for you way sooner than that so you can enjoy your dad's birthday and Christmas. I always believe however, whatever is meant to be will be, so think in your head that this is the right thing for now, and you will get the best surgery at the best time, whenever that date is meant to be.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

You guys are so sweet. Probably about 10 min. after I let out my frustrations by posting, I decided there are probably more positives than negatives. I don't have to worry about Thanksgiving, sending Christmas cards, Christmas shopping, dad's birthday, traveling to my hometown for Christmas, New Year's Eve, etc. The holidays can be enjoyed! I know I have one of the best surgeons who happens to be located 30 minutes from my house and that's the most important thing. How lucky is that! I don't have much pain, so waiting isn't a problem. I had been anxious to get the surgery behind me, but another few months won't make that much difference. Thanks, again, for being so supportive!
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Those were my thoughts exactly, Karen, when I read your post. Early January sounds perfect for a surgery. Plus the holidays are so busy they may be a nice distraction and perhaps more meaningful than usual. Especially with a dad turning 90. Both my parents just turned 80 in the past year. Quite the achievement for both of them. My dad said it was the only big birthday he has truly enjoyed reaching, as he never thought he would make it, having had heart issues for most of his life.

Sounds like you will still be able to get out onto the greens next summer as well....
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

I do not know if you are aware that my surgery had to be rescheduled as it was found out that I was a diabetic at my pre-op blood work and my surgeon would not do my surgery until y blood sugar numbers were lower and more stable. It moved my surgery from March 11 until May 4. I was very upset at the time because I was in much pain. It all worked out . I got very upset besides the pain issue because you mentally plan for a certain day and then you have to start over planning for another day.

It will all work out

Take care

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                    X