Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain related question- Surgery 2 weeks ago

Hi all-

I know you guys can help me with my question since you have been so great answering all the other ones! As most of you know, I just had my surgery June 8. I am on my 2nd week now. I think I now have the constipation/bowels under control. Now I am feeling a little down because my back feels very painful. I am fused from T3-L3 and my back feels very stingy and has like a burning sensation. It was sooo hard for me to get out of the medical bed this morning. My arms really hurt and it hurts for me to even reach out to grab something. Yesterday it was over 90 degrees here and I wore a winter bathrobe since I was so cold! My teeth were chattering. Overall my back hurts really bad in general and I was wondering what week I will start to get better? I think I am getting down because I have 2 little kids who are demanding my attention and it is sooo hard for me to move. I don't want to feel like this forever! Everyday I hope the back pain will feel better and better but it doesn't. I am currently on Valium for spasms, oxycontin, oxycodone, lyrica, colace and senna.

Anyone have any uplifting thoughts about when I will start to turn the corner?

Thanks,
    JenM
    Last edited by JenM; 06-24-2010, 06:11 AM.
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

I started to feel a lot better at week four, and at week nine I turned a major corner, I no longer took meds, and I had my brace off at that point, and I've never looked back. I really understand how HARD it is when your kids need your attention and you feel like crap. It was very very hard, and I really feel for you. I also felt freezing cold in Florida even in the hot days, then I'd get the boiling hot sweats. So what you're going through is normal, just know, and I promise Jen, it WILL get better, you will feel better very very soon, and then you'll feel a lot happier with the surgery and everything in life. You will be pain free - or have very little pain - very very soon! XX
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Jen, Am so sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I know it doesn't help, but remember you are still so very early in the recovery process. All of us, I think, had some very dark days in those early weeks whether it was related to constipation, muscle spasms, etc. Everyone reacts to narcotics differently and I think they can play with your head even when taking them at prescribed and appropriate levels. I can't imagine how difficult this is for you with young children but try to remember you're doing this so that you can be a better Mom to them for a long, long time. All of us are with you in this and feel free to keep venting. That's what this forum is for.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Ah Jen. I would consider this to be perfectly normal. I was still in hospital until day 19, so you are already streets ahead of where I was at week 2. As Anne and Lynnette have said, it's early days and things do improve. It's just hard those first few weeks. Just keep in mind that in a few more weeks, you'll be feeling so much better, be getting back (slowly) into a normal life and these early weeks will become a blurred memory.

Think of the day you go shopping for a new wardrobe, standing straight, tall and painfree. It WILL happen!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Being so cold makes me wonder if you're having a reaction to one of the medications.

Hang in there. I found the first 5 weeks barely tolerable. It does get better.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
            I also felt freezing cold in Florida even in the hot days, then I'd get the boiling hot sweats. So what you're going through is normal, just know
            Lyn, do you think you might have been experiencing menopausal/ peri-menopausal symptoms too, induced by the shock of surgery on top of what your body may already have been evolving?

Just a thought. I'm very glad to learn thanks to Jess and ConfusedMom's postings, that I'm unlikely to have to go off HRT more than pre-surgical. Hot flashes, etc., are NOT what I would like to add to the symptom-soup after surgery!
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

nooooo...bio-identical creams are supposed to be OK...per my doctors...
              not HRT...it's not the same thing...

jess

Comment

So sorry

I agree with everyone else. This pain will get better gradually. Regarding the kids - I have 5 boys, 3 still at home and I know they will forget about this when you are well and able to give them the attention they need. Rest assured, this is all worth it in the end.

Praying for you and the kids.
                Barb

11/1976 15th B-day
                Fusion with Harrington Rod, Milw, WI
                T4 to L4
                Pre-Surgery: 76 & 80
                Post-Surgery: 18 & 21

5/2010 48 yrs old, Thornton, CO
                Flat Back, severe arthritis on bottom, severe pain & can barely walk

7/13/2010 surgery - anterior
                7/27/2010 surgery - posterior
                8/30/2010 infection in abdomen surgery - 5 in hole
                10/28/2010 infection surgery - bigger hole
                11/03/2010 more infection surgery (18 cm by 14 cm hole), 20 lbs of flesch & tissue removed & wound vac attached

Comment

I don't know how old your kids are, but mine are 7 and 12. I did my best to bring them to me for attention or have them "help" with my recover. We read books and played games in bed (when I was concious enough from all the meds), they held me hand when I did my walks or even liked to get things I needed for me. This helped with thier need to be a part of me and they felt important.

I know this is a very hard time on families, I felt totally left out of my family for 4-6 weeks.

Like Lynette about week 4 I took a good turn around, they took me off the oxycotin about week three because I was not reacting well and that cleared my head a little.

Believe me you will get through it and kids are resilient, like people kept reminding me this is a relatively small period in their long lives.

We set a goal for "when this is over". They bought me a gift certificate for a new bike for mother's day and we have it on a bulleting board waiting to all go shopping for the bike that mom will be able to right with them. That might be helpful too.

Good luck and feel better, just remember to concentrate on your getting better and strong and know that you are doing for them.

Melissa
                  Surgery March 31
                  T9-L5 Lumber Fusion
                  Pre Op 60 Degree
                  Post Op 20 Degree

Comment

Amanda - I'm not sure to this day if those burning hot flashes and cold sweats were part of menopause or not - those hot flashes have completely gone now. So I really think that it was the meds, because when I described how terrible I felt to my brother, he said after his back surgery, he had exactly the same symptoms while on the meds. So I've a very strong feeling that it was purely those poisonous meds (meds are great though when we need them to help with pain) just I'm one of those people that hates taking any kind of medication, so I couldn't wait to get off of them. Truly once I could handle the pain at nine weeks, I was completely off them, and I started to reduce them at 6 weeks post op to wean off of them. That's when I felt waaay better.
                    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
                      Hi all-

I know you guys can help me with my question since you have been so great answering all the other ones! As most of you know, I just had my surgery June 8. I am on my 2nd week now. I think I now have the constipation/bowels under control. Now I am feeling a little down because my back feels very painful. I am fused from T3-L3 and my back feels very stingy and has like a burning sensation. It was sooo hard for me to get out of the medical bed this morning. My arms really hurt and it hurts for me to even reach out to grab something. Yesterday it was over 90 degrees here and I wore a winter bathrobe since I was so cold! My teeth were chattering. Overall my back hurts really bad in general and I was wondering what week I will start to get better? I think I am getting down because I have 2 little kids who are demanding my attention and it is sooo hard for me to move. I don't want to feel like this forever! Everyday I hope the back pain will feel better and better but it doesn't. I am currently on Valium for spasms, oxycontin, oxycodone, lyrica, colace and senna.

Anyone have any uplifting thoughts about when I will start to turn the corner?

Thanks,
                      JenM
                      That stinging nerve pain is very normal and will decrease over time. I wasn't even on any nerve medicaions (lyrica) and it did decrease. I used to describe it as bee stings, or needle pinches. The hot/cold issues are probabl the oxy's. You will get better Jen, it's only been 2 weeks. Give yourself time to heal. Just think what your body has been through--your back was literally broken. It's not something you can recover from quickly. Your kids are taken care of and they won't hold this against you long term. They're probably just afraid to hurt you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yes, JenM...as everyone else has said....it's all totally normal. You are soooo early in your repair process...I know exactly what you are talking about with the stinging sensation in your back. I believe that is the nerves healing, so think of it as a good sign! I still get it when I overdo or get tired. And the hot cold sweat thing...yep....I truly believe that is from the pain meds. The oxycontin gave me the worst dreams, too. So, once you begin tapering down you will feel better. Just don't try to rush anything. Your job is to heal now. Best of luck to you...I promise, it does get better. (I think the 4 wk mark, then again at the 8 wk mark for me...then it keeps going!
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young
                        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Jen,

I have little kids, too. When I am sick or incapacitated (gallbladder out, the flu, etc.), I just let them watch TV and play on the computers more. I try not to feel guilty about it because I figure I've gotta get better so I can get back to taking them to the playground or pool or whatever. In the scheme of things I don't think it really hurts the kids if they have a little more screen time than usual for a few weeks.

Also, occasionally I get a "mother's helper"--an older kid in the neighborhood who will come over and play with them while I am home, and I pay them a few dollars an hour.

You'll be feeling better and ready to play with them yourself before you know it!

Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Jen -
                            At two weeks plus you really are still early in this recovery process. It's hard though when you are so aware of every ache and pain...

It was at the 3 week point that I noticed definite improvement (just in time for surgery #2! which set me back for sure!) so you are due to start feeling better soon!

As for the hot/cold flashes - I would say with assurance that it's your pain meds. That is such a common side effect. But as you are able to eventually decrease the dosage, so will the side effects diminish. I posted on here somewhere that I dreaded showers, even hot, steamy showers because I was freezing so much of the time. I just wore a hoodie with the hood up and it was easy to take off when I had a hot flash. And I wore flannel or yoga pants in June!

Pain meds can also change your mood - I had times when I felt depressed for no real reason - I didn't feel like myself and those moods would just descend suddenly. Weird. But I knew it was not a permanent situation and I tried to focus on the positives...for example the nerve stinging. That is a positive thing! However, for months after the first surgery my upper back felt like a horrible sunburn that was further assaulted by scrubbing in a hot shower. It was brutal and when I went in for surgery #2 I mentioned it that morning and was prescribed Lidoderm patches...... let me tell you, they were a god-send! We just cut one 5" x 7" patch in half, one for each shoulder blade and I wore them to bed every night. I can not tell you how much they helped me! As my skin felt less sensitive, I cut it down to every other night, then every third night and then on an as needed basis.

I never did have a script for Lyrica.

You also mentioned colace and senna. I was fine with that until the second surgery when I came home on additional pain meds, then added Miralax which did the job beautifully - but it sounds like you've got that part figured out already!

Hang in there!
                            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                            Achieved +70% Correction
                            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                            New Spine 03/19/2009
                            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

I know exactly how you fell. Today my hat and cold sweats where so bad I thought I had the flu. However, I have been cutting back on my meds. Before I would wake up all during the night and take my PRN meds, now I stgopped doing that the last couple days. Then this morning I took my long acting Oxycodone, and still felt pretty good, so in 4 hours I took strictly Tylenol. Then I did the same in the next 4 hours. Then I started feeling horrible!!!! Thus I broke down and took a Percocet without much relief and 2 hours later took a Valium and now I feel good. The problem is I only have 3 more Valium so I am not sure how much longer the DR wanted me to take these as he works a hour away. I guess I'll have to make the dreaded phone call. Don't want to feel like a druggie. Good Luck!
                              Janet
                              36 year young cardiac RN
                              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
                              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
                              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
                              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
                              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X