What about Jakuzzis/Whirlpool baths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Jakuzzis/Whirlpool baths?

Not even sure of the difference, but those deep tubs with pulsing water have always appealed greatly to me. I've been advised my house isn't salable unless I extend a hideous half bath to a full one. I'd love to put a jakuzzi there but wonder if I could use it, if fused from T4 to pelvis.

I'm remembering my poor dad who bought his dream retirement home in Florida complete with lovely big pool and two jakuzzis - none of which he turned out to be able to use (not even once! ) because he had to have a permanent shunt surgically installed for dialysis.

Of course, a long fusion isn't the same, but I wonder if I'll be able to sit in such a tub and be buffeted by the water jets, and if so, whether there'd be a waiting period. I would really love to be out of this house (and area) within two years!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
    Not even sure of the difference, but those deep tubs with pulsing water have always appealed greatly to me. I've been advised my house isn't salable unless I extend a hideous half bath to a full one. I'd love to put a jakuzzi there but wonder if I could use it, if fused from T4 to pelvis.

I'm remembering my poor dad who bought his dream retirement home in Florida complete with lovely big pool and two jakuzzis - none of which he turned out to be able to use (not even once! ) because he had to have a permanent shunt surgically installed for dialysis.

Of course, a long fusion isn't the same, but I wonder if I'll be able to sit in such a tub and be buffeted by the water jets, and if so, whether there'd be a waiting period. I would really love to be out of this house (and area) within two years!
    I have a hot tub and love it; I started using it about May 2009, my surgery was Oct 2008. I don't like the feeling of the jets on high, instead I put them on low.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I also have a hot tub outside and it does help with pain. I don't put the jets on high either as it triggers muscle discomfort. Just relaxing in the hot tub for 20 minutes after a day of commuting to the city is quite a treat. Not a cure-all, but certainly helps with the stress on my back. I have the lounge seat, and I'm able to use it without being uncomfortable with the harrington rod.
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Surgeons often restrict patients from using a bathtub for the first 3-6 months, but after that, it's usually a go. Mine have always helped with pain.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for input, all!

I still wonder if I can actually think in terms of lying back in the tub, or if I will have to sit bolt upright because of the fusion length.

Also, whether I will have to wait longer than the 3 - 6 months Linda specifies after surgery.

Sitting on a shower seat certainly wouldn't allow for the same "lounging" as we're all used to thinking a tub provides (sans fusion). The deep heat would still be available, though, and that WOULD be super. Like most of you (haha I used to think it was just me), I find heat to be a great pain reliever now and I gather this stays true, post fusion (never could understand people who iced their backs! BRRR and - ouch!).

I guess the verdict is in, though, about those water jets. On low or not at all. Same as no massages, I guess.
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
            Thanks for input, all!

I still wonder if I can actually think in terms of lying back in the tub, or if I will have to sit bolt upright because of the fusion length.

Also, whether I will have to wait longer than the 3 - 6 months Linda specifies after surgery.

Sitting on a shower seat certainly wouldn't allow for the same "lounging" as we're all used to thinking a tub provides (sans fusion). The deep heat would still be available, though, and that WOULD be super. Like most of you (haha I used to think it was just me), I find heat to be a great pain reliever now and I gather this stays true, post fusion (never could understand people who iced their backs! BRRR and - ouch!).

I guess the verdict is in, though, about those water jets. On low or not at all. Same as no massages, I guess.
            Amanda,
            There is no reason you cant lie back in a tub with a long fusion. I really wish I had a hot tub or a jacuzzi after a long day at work...
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I started getting in the hot tub at the indoor pool about 2 months after surgery (after OK from my Dr.) I think as long as your incision is healed, you are good to go. We have since installed a hot tub on our patio at home and I love it, esp. on my one shoulder which is really sore when I have to reach up and/or back. I have no trouble with any of the seats in the tub or lying down on the "lounge" part of it I even like it with the jets on high. I certainly would check with your Dr., but I have found it very helpful with recovering muscles.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

The jets in a jaccuzzi make my skin itch terribly. I wonder if they would feel good on low? My hubby offered to install one for me when we remodelled our upstairs and I opted out. Right now we only have a working bathtub upstairs. I'll either have to shower downstairs, or have my hubby finish the bathroom upstairs (put the ceramic tiles around the tub/shower) before my fusion. Maybe I will talk him in to putting the "new" tub downstairs, as it needs replacing and get me a deep whirlpool afterall. Good question, Amanda!
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I bought a soft-sided (SoftTub) a few years ago, for outdoor use. I use it about 6 months of the year. It cost about $3000, way less than the fancier kinds, not as many jets but it's fine. You sit in an upright position when in it.
                  1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

I still haven't had a bath, because I can't comfortably sit with my legs straight out. I tilt to the left and hate leaning against anything hard.

Recently we stayed in a hotel which had a spa bath (a triangular bathtub, with water jets and shallow seats.) It was awkward. I enjoyed the water jets, especially on my feet, but I could not sit comfortably.

The upright hot tubs with seating would be ok though.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I sure appreciate everyone's helpful feedback Many thanks!
                      I find myself still confused, though. Think I'll go back and try to match different responses with fusion levels (hoping they'll be indicated).

I swear I can NOT picture anyone "lounging" post fusion in a tub of any sort. How in the world would it be possible without bending the fusion? Maybe, just maybe, after it's all solid...It would be nice to have that all around heat (as well as the swirling water) but it would not be the same without lying back. Seems in fact, like just the kind of position and activity that might tempt one to bend more than desirable post op. The warmth would relax the muscles and loosen things up - maybe leading to more curvature than desirable.

I certainly WANT to be told it's OK (who wants to sit straight up and down in a tub like at a formal dinner? )
                      In a way, why should I care since I've been a shower person so long I've almost forget what a lovely soaking bath is like? But maybe now that the kids are grown, this WOULD be a good time to rediscover it! When I was a teen, I remember sitting back so long, scalding water cooled and I'd refill. Those, WERE the days - along with bath oil. Aaah.

BUT....? (Back to try to match up experiences with fusions location, heh!)
                      Last edited by Back-out; 07-01-2010, 10:56 PM.

Comment

My daughter took aqua therapy after her spinal fusion and at the end of every session, they had her stand with her back in front of the jets. They started out with them set on low and increased them over time. She loved it!

Jamie's is fused T3-L2 and yes, she can and does lounge. She lounges on the floor leaning back on the couch, she lounges on the couch, she lounges on the steps of the swimming pool, she lounges in bed to read, etc. As a teenager, I'm sure she lounges more than adults do, but just wanted you to know it is possible! You will learn very quickly, that you can do most anything you did pre-surgery. Somethings you will just have to do differently.

I have never heard of anyone "bending" their fusion. Sometimes a rod will break, mostly because of a non-fusion issue, but I've never heard of anyone "bending" their rods or fusion. It just doesn't happen. Most doctors won't allow you to be in a tub of any kind for several months post-op. Follow your doctor's instructions and you'll be fine.

Have you ever met a person with a spinal fusion with instrumentation? If not, I think it would be very helpful to you to do so. You'd see that they aren't all that different than those of us without spinal fusions. Jamie receives compliments all the time on her perfect posture from people who don't know she had a spinal fusion. She simply smiles at them and says "thank you".

Try not to worry so much about the "what ifs and what you can't do" post-surgery. You'll drive yourself crazy! Concentrate on finding the best surgeon for you and go from there.

Mary Lou
                        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                        X