steps/bed after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steps/bed after surgery

For those of you who've had the surgery, what were your sleeping arrangements after surgery, were you able to climb the steps when you got home to get in your bed? I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to get up the stairs after surgery to sleep or perhaps get a bed downstairs for a while. If you slept downstairs, what type of bed/place to sleep did you use/get? Futon, couch, hospital bed, reg matress and frame? I love my bed and would like to use it when I get home, but that's probably withful thinking and I better be prepared.
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Originally posted by Debra JGL View Post
    For those of you who've had the surgery, what were your sleeping arrangements after surgery, were you able to climb the steps when you got home to get in your bed? I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to get up the stairs after surgery to sleep or perhaps get a bed downstairs for a while. If you slept downstairs, what type of bed/place to sleep did you use/get? Futon, couch, hospital bed, reg matress and frame? I love my bed and would like to use it when I get home, but that's probably withful thinking and I better be prepared.
    Hi Debra...

Although I did it slowly, I was able to climb stairs without a problem. And, I had an adjustable bed. When I have spine surgery in the future, I definitely will not do the adjustable bed thing. I think it encouraged me to spend too much time there, and was actually of very little help.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had no problem with stairs but was afraid to sleep next to my husband because everything hurt. I stayed downstairs in a guest room for probably a month. We tried renting a hospital bed but I kept sliding down and my arms hurt from pulling myself up so we returned it. I did find that buying a foam topper for the hospital bed would have worked. I was hospitalized for 14 days with an infection in 2008 and aside from having to adjust it a bit, it worked really well. We now have a Tempurpedic (sp?) and I love it but not everyone does.
      dianeh
      ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
      T3- sacrum
      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

I was able to do the steps very slowly. However, we had a hospital delivered from our local medical supply store. It was $200 a month. Insurance did end up covering it. I was able to lay down those that first week or two and still be a part of life in the house. I was just more comfortable in a bed that i could raise and lower and I also worried about my husband rolling over and accidently throwing an arm across me. Also, when I was getting up to take pain pills I didn't wake my husband up. He was working and also taking such good care of me I wanted him to get a good nights sleep.
        Hope that helps.
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I think a firm flat bed (no hammocking) with some kind of foam topper is ideal. Not sure about the stairs as we have a single level home.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I was able to do the stairs okay, with someone standing by at first. My bedroom is upstairs like yours also. I did not rent a hospital bed ( I think they are uncomfortable). My bed is a foam mattress also and found it to be fine for me...
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I was fine on the steps (slowly, with my husband with me) and they had me practice steps at the hospital before I was discharged. I only did the steps once or twice a day in the early weeks. I did not get a hospital bed even though my surgeon recommended it. (Did not sleep well at all in the hospital--hated it.) Slept in the recliner at first when I was at home. I am one of the few people on here who did not do well with a mattress topper. We tried it for a few weeks and it was just too squishy for me. I just couldn't move at all on it. Was much better with just our normal, firm mattress. Everyone is different--you'll find what works best for you.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
              X