After Surgery- Chiropractic, massage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Surgery- Chiropractic, massage

Can you or need to have chiropractic adjustment after spine fusion? What about getting the deep tissue massages?
    62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
    45/50 year 2000
    36 yrs old
    Considering, researching surgery for the first time
    S. California
    http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Hi...

I've seen a chiropractor occasionally since I was about a year postop. You should not let any chiropractor try an adjustment within the fusion mass, or in any levels adjacent to the fusion. As far as deep tissue massage, I've never heard a professional weigh in on it, but I doubt it would do much damage, assuming that the fusion is complete.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was told to never see a chiropracter again. I did use one prior to surgery for pain relief (short term) but have not used one since-I have presented my doctor with quite a few medical emergencies and wouldn't dare call and say,
      "Well, I saw a chiropracter today and....." He's always been very kind and patient and I don't want that to change.
      dianeh
      ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
      T3- sacrum
      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Hi...

I've seen a chiropractor occasionally since I was about a year postop. You should not let any chiropractor try an adjustment within the fusion mass, or in any levels adjacent to the fusion. As far as deep tissue massage, I've never heard a professional weigh in on it, but I doubt it would do much damage, assuming that the fusion is complete.

Regards,
        Linda
        So for a T4-Pelvis fusion, that means it's only shoulder and neck massage from then on out? Not counting limbs, that is...
        Last edited by Back-out; 06-23-2010, 07:11 PM.
        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

massage

I think a massage would be okay, but in my case my back has been very tender since my surgeries and a deep massage would be very painful for me. Maybe a light massage? I used to love any kind of back rub but since surgery this does not appeal to me in the least...
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Massage? OH HECK YEA!

I L O V E getting a massage. I had my first one post op about 10 months out. (I pulled my lower back muscles lifting a tool set I was buying for my husband.) I loved it then and I still do. I have my massage therapist work only on my entire back for 1/2 hour I don't need or want anything else done. I have a friend with a harrington rod and she is on a 1X per month schedule for massage, it keeps her back muscles from getting tight. As for adjustments I would say check with your Dr. I can lean back over a counter and adjust my own back (Above my fusion) when it has that "I need to be cracked" feeling. I had one adjustment post-op and it felt very wrong. I didn't like it at all. Suzy

2/22/06 T10-L4 was 49* now 8*

Comment

Working...
            X