weight loss after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight loss after surgery?

Did anyone experience weight loss after their surgery? If so, how much did you lose?

I'm preparing for my first surgery of any kind in January and my doctor mentioned that I will lose weight afterwards. He estimated 15-25 pounds. I'd like to hear from those of you who have gone through surgery already and your experiences with weight loss, if any.

Thanks!

Hi...

I don't ever weigh myself, so I can't say for sure how much I lost, but it was a lot. I'd guess that it was at least 15-20 pounds. I didn't have any appetite for about 3-4 weeks post-op. I had been concerned about gaining weight from being inactive, but that wasn't an issue.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I've lost about 25 pounds. My surgery was 6 1/2 months ago.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

i don't know how much my brace weighs, but given my weight when i left the hospital, i doubt that i lost more than 10 pounds (if that); i was a little disappointed to tell you the truth! my appetitie is returning to normal very quickly, especially now that i'm cutting back on my pain meds. tonight i quickly found my favorite candy in the kids' treat bags and i had no trouble choking it down! good luck with your surgery....
        Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
        T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
        Fused T3 - S1
        Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
        Dr. Robert G. Viere
        North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

weight loss

I had anterior/posterior surgery(revision) from T-4 to sacrum. In 2 stages. I did not lose much weight-a few pounds based on my clothes. Certainly no more than 5 lbs. I am back to my normal weight.

Karen
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Well...it seems that the amounts of weight loss vary...guess I'll have to wait and see! Thank you all for responding....I really feel much better about going into my first ever surgery knowing that I have a group of people who are going through or have recently been through this same thing.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I only lost about 5 lbs while in the hospital, posterior fusion T2 to L1. I'd had surgery before, so it didn't really throw me for a loop the way it does some people...
              I found it VERY easy to put weight back on after the first couple of weeks.
              The other surgery I had, I lost close to 25 lbs. It was an emergency splenectomy following an accident, left me in ICU for a week with some complications... I went from 5'6" and 135 lbs on a large frame, to just over 110 lbs!
              I was a little disappointed in my lack of weight loss after my scoliosis surgery. In fact, the weight came back on so easily that I started riding the exercise bike for an hour a day at around 10 days home from the hospital so that I wouldn't get fat.. I lived a VERY active lifestyle before my surgery with a LOW metabolisim, and sitting around on my butt was a BAD thing.
              Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
              Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
              Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
              Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
              February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
              September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I had surgery 4 months ago. I was very concerned about weight loss because I only weighed 110 before surgery. My surgeon was also concerned so in between my three surgeries (in one week) I was given nutrients through a tube. It may sound awful but it wasn't. The tube was left in until I could eat on my own and then I was absolutely starved. I ate everything in sight. I lost about 5 pounds at the most and I have regained those now. So don't worry.
                Susan

Comment

Thank you for responding Susan...you've brought up an excellent option that I would have never thought of and will definitely discuss with my doctor!

I've waited my whole life to hit the 100 mark and when I finally did last Fall, I was ecstatic!!! I'm at 105 right now (5' tall) and can't imagine losing even 10 pounds at this point. I've alway eaten what I wanted to, but skinny genes run in the family!

Thanks again for this idea Susan!!! Great news for me!!!

Comment

I lost 13 lbs and gained back 6 lbs. With all the exercisie I am doing...I don't expect to gain the other 7 lbs. Before my surgery I never exercised. Today, even though I am thin, I am much healthier than before surgery because of exercising.

Gail

Comment

I just had surgery on October 1 and have, to date, lost 17 pounds. Eating is the most important thing you can do to aid in your recovery! Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                      X