Lose weight before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lose weight before surgery?

Can others chime in as to whether you tried to actually lose weight before surgery?

I know exercise is good, but am not sure about weight loss itself.

I am probably 15 lbs. over what I want to be, but with expected weight loss post-surgery, don't know if I should go for it now or not.

One doctor told me not to bother because he wouldn't want me to potentially jeopardize my nutritional intake with weight-loss efforts.

But, does it help with recovery if you weigh less (less to carry)? On the other hand, can it be a problem with too much weight loss after surgery?

Thanks!!!
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

hi Ev
    at least 2 surgeons told me that they believe that "thin people have an easier time of recovery"...
    initially, a couple of surgeons also told me they prefer to operate on thin patients because they get to the spine easier (i am not making this up!)...less to cut through...but now that there is minimally invasive approach (for lumbar), i dont know if that would be as much of an issue...

i think if you lost weight the healthy way, it wouldnt be a problem...there is time until Sept. 15th...i always thought summer is the easiest time to lose, because of all the terrific fruits that are available...not that 15 pounds is so much..

what you said about losing after surgery...i thought that everyone loses from the pain meds...but then i've been reading on forum that many gain weight after surgery, just from all the fluids needed during the operation...but they say that goes away eventually...

my surgeon said he was more concerned about my nutritional profile than with how thin i've gotten...but he would want me to weigh a little more before, just in case of those pain meds, as i've lost so much now from them...they completely kill my appetite!

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 06-22-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Hi Evelyn,

I was 20lbs overweight before my surgery, and I asked my doctor this same question. He said that it's good to be a little overweight as you lose a lot right after surgery. Also the most important thing before surgery is just to eat healthy foods, cut out sugars and fatty foods, and walk on the treadmill or outside or swim as much as possible. Cardio is very important prior to surgery - if it doesn't hurt you too much, because it gets your heart healthy and ready to deal with this major surgery. I'm 12 weeks post op, and I lost all the weight and look better than I've ever looked with my straight back. So I'm very happy now.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I went into surgery a little underweight for my age and height. It didnt help that all the surgery anxiety didnt leave me with much of an appetite. They told me one of the reasons my operation was such a success was because I was so thin. Even though I was thin I ate right and took my vitamins. After surgery I lost another 10 lbs. but I forced myself to eat and I drank ensure. My stomach was so swollen due to anterior I could only eat a few bites and I was full. So I ate every hour. If you decide to lose weight, make sure you eat all the right foods so your body can heal appropriately.
        Leanna
        32 yrs. old
        surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
        90* pre-op
        23* post-op

Comment

My doctor told me that because I am so thin that I would be able to feel the implants in my upper spine. I didn't ask, but assumed he would want me a little heavier than I am. I am not having surgery with this surgeon, though. This is a very good question. I am a little worried that I'll lose too much weight from the stress of surgery. I ALWAYS turn to skin and bones when under stress.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

OK--I'm about 15 months out now and I have a different problem. Since about one year, I gain weight at the drop of a hat. I exercise about an hour a day about 5 times a week. I have always been good at that. I've been back to Weight Watchers--I'm far from perfect but so much better than I'd been the months before. I'm wondering if that first year uses up so many more calories just to heal you and then it drops like a rock. Before surgery I always said I had the metabolism of a slug. I think now the slug died. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
              I think now the slug died. Janet
              OK. you did it. You made me laugh! Needed it, (hehehe). Don't know why. Tears (of laughter) still in my eyes. I think reading it wrong as "the slug diet" and then reading it right, just cracked me up! Good thing I'm not post surgical. I notice people said laughing AND sneezing could hurt.

JANET, WATCH THAT FUNNY BONE. You can break a fusion, lady!
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Janet, that's too hilarious! hee hee! I think either way your metabolism works can be a problem, too thin, too heavy, neither one is good. At least you're exercising and hopefully eating right. If you are doing these things and if I am doing these things too, what else can we do?
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I was 10 pounds over my usual weight. After my surgery I went from 130 to 90 in just 2 months. I knew I was loosing weight but had no idea how much until my sister made me get on the scale after helping me through a shower. It was an issue w/ my family and then my surgeon at my next visit. I have to agree w/ the others here, it's not good over or underweight.

My surgeon told me that on average, most patients loose approx. 15 pounds. You just never know!!! Just stay healthy!!!

Shari

Comment

i lost 10 pounds while on oxycontin...and i wasnt on it for long...it also made me very exhausted...i gained the 10 back after going back to hydrocodone...but i dont know what would happen to me after surgery...pain meds kill my appetite...it always amazes me when i read that people can eat when they are taking those meds!

still being under 100 pounds, i didnt ask what i'd have to weigh, since surgeon said he was more concerned about my nutrition than weight...but he did say the same about feeling the rods/screws when thin...and the liklihood i would need screws removed after fusion was achieved...

jess

Comment

I was at my ideal weight when I went into surgery and then I lost about 13 lbs.
                      That was the comment I heard the most, "oh my God you have lost so much weight".
                      Yeah but look at my back now! I have been off my pain meds for almost 3 weeks and have gained about 10 lbs.back overall. I still have a lesser appetite, but I'm sure it will come back. My surgeon and his med asst both said being thinner helped in my surgery and recovery. I think healthy eating, lots of protein, and walking and exercise and all will be good, pre and post surgery.
                      Shari - 55 years old
                      Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                      Post op 13 degree curve.
                      Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                      2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                      Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                      www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        ...but he did say the same about feeling the rods/screws when thin...and the liklihood i would need screws removed after fusion was achieved...

jess
                        The last surgeon that I saw said that I would be committing myself to two surgeries when I have the fusion for the same reason that you mentioned. He said that I would need the hardware removed after fusion was complete. The reason... I'm thin, and the location of the rods being so high on the spine. He explained that the instrumentation would irritate the muscles that have to slide over it. He said I would likely not be able to raise my arms, play the piano, swim, etc... That really saddened me. He listed all of my favorite things to do, and he didn't even know it. I can't wait to hear what the new doctor has to say about it. I've never heard of anyone not being able to lift their arms from being fused at T2. Is it true?
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

I was at about at the top of where I like to keep my weight going into surgery and lost about 6 pounds from the pain medicine messing up my stomache. I actually stopped the vicoden and went to Darvocet, I was so sick to my stomach on it. My appetite is coming back, but I can still only eat small amounts at a time and get very full fast. I "graze" througout the day, so at 4 months, have kept the weight off.

I get many compliments on how much weight I have lost and hope that I can keep it off. We will have to see what will happens.

I would say pre op the most important thing is to eat and stay healthy and keep in as good of physical/mental shape as possible.

Melissa

Comment

Wow, not to be able to even raise your arms?
                            Surgery scheduled for January 2011
                            by Charles (Ted) Shuff
                            http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
                            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
                            -- Samuel Johnson
                            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
                            -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Rohrer--I'm fused T2-pelvis and have no trouble at all lifting my arms. Of course, in the early weeks it was trickier. I don't play piano or swim much but there wouldn't be anything preventing me from it. That's really strange that the doctor said that. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X