p90x...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p90x...?

Hey I was just wondering if any of you have done p90x? Im on day 3 of it, and so far so good other than being extremely sore. I have my surgery scheduled in just under 90 days, and this program is supposed to last 90 days. Im doing it to increase muscle and stamina and everything before surgery. Any thoughts on this?
    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
    Still unsure of post-op numbers
    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
    Scoli pics

I had never heard of it but Googled it and I guess it's a strengthening type of exercise?

Honestly, I think all exercise is good. I concentrated on cardio type exercise when I was preparing for surgery.

Keep up the good work.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I've heard it's an extreme workout, congrats.
      Woah, is that an MRI in the link?
      Surgery scheduled for January 2011
      by Charles (Ted) Shuff
      http://cabellhuntington.org/services...ce/physicians/
      http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...dayjunk/Davis/

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."
      -- Samuel Johnson
      "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -
      -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mike! Yes I did the entire 90 day program before my surgery! It's awesome isn't it? I loved it and it really made a difference in my muscle tone. The thing is, after surgery I lost 10 lbs so was really thin then. I had already lost 10 from doing p90x. I still have some muscle tone but lost a lot of it post surgery. I am now thinking of starting back up with it just using the bands and not weights and no push ups either...too soon for that. For surgery you really want to build up your core muscles as well as quads and arms. You will be relying on those to take the place of your back
        muscles for about 2 or 3 months. Go for it but make sure you eat a lot while doing it, you don't want to lose too much weight before surgery. As Tony Horton says...BRING IT!!!
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

wow...i am just so amazed that some of you guys can exercise like that! i have so much pain by now, that i gave up the gym 2 years ago, and i used to go 3-4 times a week, even when i worked alot of hours!
          the pain has gotten so much worse...which my surgeon thinks is from my discs getting a lot worse...that i just cant anymore...
          but i'm glad for you guys that you can!

jess

Comment

Jess sorry to hear that you can't. That was the only thing that kept my pain level down. When I didn't workout it would get much worse. Does swimming work for you? If you have access to a pool it is recommended for those with back problems. I don't have a pool so I found other ways to workout.
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young
            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
              The thing is, after surgery I lost 10 lbs so was really thin then. I had already lost 10 from doing p90x. I still have some muscle tone but lost a lot of it post surgery.
              I'm familiar with the P90X program. It's really good and very tough. Radiogirl makes a very good point. The amount of weight you can drop after a surgery can be quite significant. I don't have scoliosis but I have had a couple of major surgeries myself that put me in bed for a while. I dropped A LOT of weight.

During recovery you will lose a bunch of muscle as the body heals. Don't worry about that though. You can gain that back. I think they get you up and moving relatively quickly (but I really have no idea about scoli surgeries) which will help reduce inflammation and speed recovery as well. But it's that inflammation that breaks down muscle at a very fast rate. So the more muscle you start with, the better.

I wouldn't worry about doing the diet. At least not the first month because that is the "fat shredder" phase. Eat plenty of protein throughout the day and especially within 2 hours after a workout. The body utilizes protein the best during this time because your muscles are very metabolically active.

One other word or warning and it might not even apply to you. But the workouts are pretty tough. Make sure you don't injure yourself. Be smart during the power yoga.

Good luck! keep pressing play and BRING IT!!

Comment

hi Laura
                thanks for the reply...no, i dont even know how to swim! embarrassed to say i never learned, and have a fear of the water...though i love the ocean and am happy just being near it when i go on vacation!

am glad to hear that some can exercise...sounds very beneficial for preparing for surgery...but i think i saw the program on TV...? if that was it, it looked really tough!

jess

Comment

yea I really cant afford to lose much weight...I have always had a real hard time gaining any weight at all...i'm 6'9" and weigh about 195. Im hoping this p90x will help build some back muscle before surgery at the very least. Ive done 4 days of it now, and it is awesome. I had a pretty tough time with the yoga, because I really cant twist my back and im just not all that flexible.

And Davis, no, thats an x-ray from a n ew machine that was taken in St. Louis.
                  Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                  Still unsure of post-op numbers
                  37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                  Scoli pics

Comment

Working...
                  X