Wearing a sports bra after surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing a sports bra after surgery??

I had surgery June 8th. Every since I was recovering from the surgery, I always had pain in my breast area on both sides. One dr said it was a positional problem in the I laid on the operating table for 6 hours and the pressure from the boobs being pressed up against the table is causing this pain. One June 10 and 11th, it almost felt like I was having a heart attack. I told them about these pains and they called for a STAT EKG of the heart, which showed up with good results. I am only 31 years old so they said I was really too young for a heart attack. Well the chest pains from the breast area subsided around June 15 and June 16. Then when I got home, they came back again. I had a visiting nurse today who told me to put on my bra. My regular bra really felt like it was pressing up against the incision area too hard so I tried a sports bra instead. The pain has decreased a little now that I am wearing a sports bra. I wear a size D and the nurse today told me I definately need the support and that's what all the pain I have been feeling in my chest is coming from. To all the ladies, have you been told you are allowed to wear a bra right after sugery. Since I am a size D, there is no support if I don't wear a bra and my boobs hurt way too much!!!!!

Will this hurt my incision in any way?

Thanks everyone!!!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

I hope you don't mind me posting in response to your question as I have not had surgery. I have an upper thoracic curve and I get chest/breast pain as you have described. It is mostly in my sternum and can radiate out into the breast tissue. Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between this pain and heart pain. So my reason for posting this is that my pain comes from my ribs being pulled by my scoliosis. They get pushed and pulled at the sternum and I can, at times, feel one or two sticking up as if they are dislocated. I'm wondering if your pain isn't coming from your ribs being repositioned from what they are "used" to. Did you have a thoracic curve corrected? I don't know if you find this helpful or not, but in any case I hope you feel better really soon! gentle {{{{hugs}}}}
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I too am a D and have been wearing the tanks with shelf bra. My ribs /breasts have too hurt in the front from lying on them,
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

JenM - I have had exactly the same problem as you. Let's just say I'm well endowed, and my surgery was a ten hour surgery. I had bruising on my chest area when I came round from surgery, and here I am eleven weeks post op, and my breasts still feel very bruised to the touch. I had to wear those tanks with a shelf bra for the first eight weeks, then I started wearing a regular bra, which has helped with support, but still very tender breasts. I think there was deep bruising from the way I was laid on the table for that extensive surgery, and I'm just hoping that in time it will just get better. It's interesting to hear that you had a similar problem to me.
        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I am SURE it the surgeons were women this problem would not occur! Really.

Picturing women surgeons operating on spines if this happened to be a largely male problem, and the guys complaining online about sore balls afterwards!

Would this EVER happen, even if the situation were totally reversed? (Intending to ask for special pillows or something. Some sensitivity training is in order. )
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Amanda - lol! "Sore balls"
            Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
            Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
            Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
            Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
            X