Jen M's June 8th surgery with Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jen M's June 8th surgery with Dr. Boachie

Hi Everyone!!!!!! I'm back!!!!! I'm in shock and still can't believe I did have the surgery and didn't chicken out. I owe this all to you. I have met sooo many friends on this forum. You all feel like family to me!

Well, it's now June 19 (11 days after my surgery) and I am finally able to sit and write a long response explaining my long and painful journey. I have to say that the hardest part of this journey was the pre-Op waiting stage from November 2009 to June 7, 2010. That was a very anxious time in my life. I was so nervous during these 7 months that I decided I needed to put this nervous energy into good use. So one day in November I decided I was going to do the treadmill 5 days a week and eat healthy and chart/measure my weight every day. I didn't put alot of pressure on myself. I started to watch Dr. Oz and picked up some great points from his show. I was going to use this time for myself to concentrate on myself (for the first time in a LONG time since I have young kids). I pretended I was going to treat this as being an athlete in a marathon (and for me this was a far-fetched goal). I needed 50 pounds to lose. I have a 2 year old and never really lost the baby weight.

Tracking my weight on an excel spreadsheet was the best thing I have ever done for myself. At first, I lost 3 pounds the 1st month, then lost 5 pounds the second month, then 7 pounds, etc. Every month I lost weight. This gave me alot of confidence and made me actually excited for the surgery! Mentally, the exersice was great for me and "pumped" me up for the surgery. So from November to July 7, I lost about 40 pounds and felt like I fine tuned athlete. I really don't think I would have ever been able to lose this weight if it wasn't for me making the decision to have the scoliosis surgery.

Ok, so the morning of my surgery, June 8th, I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. I went to the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City at 6am and felt a sense of calm. I met Dr. Boachie in the pre-op area and he made me feel sooo calm. He has a way about him...he doesn't say too much but as soon as he gave me this comforting look I know I would be in great hands. From the day I met him I had so much confidence in him compared to any doctor I ever went to. Then the anesthesilogist came in and answered all my questions. I didn't end up needed a chest tube. Then they gave me the "happy Juice" and I was wheeled into the OR room. I said goodbye to my husband and told him to take care of my son and daughter.

I never counted backwards or anything. THen it felt like a minute later I woke up. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 my pain was a 5 when I woke up from surgery. I spent the night in the PACU and was totally comfortable. I basically had no pain and kept telling everyone this!!! The next morning I was moved to my regular room. THis is where the pain began to intensify. I am going to cut alot of the details out here, but from June 11 to June 15 the pain was horrible!!!! On June 14 I started having muscle spasms which went up and down into the back part of the shoulder. I was literally screaming in the hospital. THe pain management dr came to see me to assess the pain. He gave me flexeril for the spasms but that didn't touch the pain. I was screaming so loudly that teams of doctors were running to see me as if it were a major emergency or something, Flexeral didn't touch the pain for spasms but the valium did. I have to say, the muscle spasm in the back of my left shoulder and the gas pains from constipation were the worst types of pain I experienced. I rarely had any back pain at all.

I ended up leaving the hospital on Wednesday, June 16. I couldn't wait to go home into my own bed!! I have to say, the first 3 days after the surgery I really regretted it, but on day 4 i measured to be 5 foot 6 inches (i was 5 feet 3 1/4. That makes me soooo happy and I was stand up so tall!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like a new person!!!!

I actually have to run as my doorbell just rang. I will type more tonight. I am soooo glad to be back! I have lots more questions for all of you!!!!

Joyful, Janet, JennyRN - i thought and prayed for you the entire time. Every day gets better and better!!

Thanks so much for everything. Debbe-thanks for posting on June 8th for me.

Talk soon.

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

hey Jen
    so glad to hear the surgery is over and you are in the healing process...i hope things get better every day...
    congratulations on your bravery and your new, straight spine!

jess

Comment

It's so good to hear that it is over with and you are doing well. I'm so thankful for all of you that post your stories. You are sooooo brave!!!!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Jen
        Read my post op post about pain. The nurses managed it horribly but I've been doing great doing it on my own since being home. I got out the 16th.
        Janet
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Great news JenM - wow you ARE tall now - I'm so happy for you. I wish you a wonderful smooth recovery, and like I said to Janet S - it just gets better and better each and every day from here on in. I remember the time leading up to the surgery also being the worst part of the whole process, it's so scary prior to surgery worrying about everything, but once it's done it gets better and better. Glad you're home now!
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Oh, by the way my husband just measred me and I only gained 1 in. But I still don't feel real straight yet.
            Janet
            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Wow! Congratulations. What a wonderful feeling it must be to be 3 inches taller! Glad you're home and starting to recover. How are the kids? Did they do okay without you? Congrats, too, on the weight loss. You must feel like you have a new body all around!!!

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Congratulations, newly straight sisters! You are brave, indeed.

About the issue of pain management, there's a good reason this is one of the main issues the govt. hospital comparisons focus on! It will certainly be an issue I examine in making my choice especially as I may not have a family advocate with me. (Prefer not to discuss now) Facilities vary greatly.

Sorry you suffered so, jsully!
                Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

hey there, Jen...

Great descriptive rundown of your operative experience. Sure seems like this operation does bring on the weirdest assortment of post-op pain and strange body "events"! I would not be a bit surprised if someone got in here and said their pinkie fingernails hurt and did anyone have this?

I can hear some energy in your "voice" and that's great to hear! Glad to hear also that you felt so good about your surgeon and his expertise. I am jealous of your new height being that I am now 5'3" and I used to be 5'4 1/2 but should have been anywhere up to 5'8", according to Linda's test. I want my rightful stature! Would love to have a few inches back.

Keep healing, keep posting.

Janet Sully: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Your scoli sister,

Amy
                  Amy
                  58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                  Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                  Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                  2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Thanks Foofer. Where is the height test?
                    36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Welcome back Jen. First of all, congratulations on taking the decision to get fit and lose weight. The benefits are so worthwhile, mainly the confidence it gives you that you can face anything and the calm it brings, apart from any physical benefits. The best I ever felt in my life was just prior to my surgery, for the same reasons. So I understand exactly what you're saying.

Secondly, congrats for having jumped this major life-hurdle. Sorry you suffered so much for those days. But glad you're doing much better now.

And I'm amazed at your height-gain! You must feel like you're walking round in 70's platform shoes! Great news.
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wonderful news, Jen. It sounds like you're over the worst of the post-op pd. With the weight loss and being taller, you will have so much fun shopping for new clothes!! Congratulations on that weight loss regimen. Sounds like you have the right mind-set for recovery. Hope you continue to feel better each day!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Jen--Congrats on your new body in all ways! Losing weight is so difficult; I know! You have done so well on all fronts (& backs!). You can be so proud of yourself. You should be through the worst and on to healing. 3 inches--wow! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I've gained 10 lbs since surgery! Not sure how, I am eating MUCH less?
                            36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Gained more weight from surgery

Janet-

I'm sooo glad you mentioned that!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it either! I didn't eat anything at the hospital since I was so nauseous. I for sure thought I lost about 10 pounds after my surgery but when I got home and weighed myself I gained 10 pounds!!!! I couldn't belive it!!!! Janet, did you get any blood transfusions? I received 2 units back of my own blood and I think this might count for some of the weight gain. My belly looked like I was preggo! I thought most people lost about 20 pounds after this surgery!!!!!!

Does anyone know why you gain weight?

Thanks,
                              Jen M
                              Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                              Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                              Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                              Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                              31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Working...
                              X