allergic to antibiotic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allergic to antibiotic

Hi all - I have not been on here for a week or so. If you remember I was struggling with infection in my surgical site. After 3 weeks on antibiotic, I became allergic to it. Back to the hospital with me as my white blood count dropped to 2.1 and bad pains from antibiotic. Amazing that this doesn't even phase me anymore. Back home yesterday, with a new IV antibiotic. They think infection is almost gone. Let's hope so! A few more weeks of antibiotics. Spine is doing good though.
    They believe mine started by some internal suchres (stitches) being rejected by my body, which created abssess and collected drainage.
    Good to be back and feeling good again.
    I have not seen much about this on the forum. Have others had infections from surgery? Allergy to antibiotic?
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Wow Shari - I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with all of this. Hope you're feeling much much better now, and not ever have to deal with any more infections etc., I wish you well my friend!
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

hi shari, im so sorry to hear about your complications. i had gotton the mrsa infection in my spine after a 2007 surgery. i was also allergic to the iv vancomyicin. it made my white cell count go really low. also had bad fever with the antibiotic bactrum. i got really scared that i was not going to be able to fight off the infection. but they put me on iv daptomyicin and oral minocycline.the mino i am still on today. the antibiotics really messed up my stomach so make sure you take probiotics daily. hang in there. lor

Comment

Lor - that sounds awful. Glad you got rid of it. Will you always be on a light antibiotic? I was allergic to Cefazolin, now I'm on Vancomyicin. I am hoping 4 more weeks and to be done with IV and PICC line. Thanks for the suggestion of probiotics. I am going to my family doctor tomorrow to buy some. He sells supplements. Thanks for the feedback, hope all stays well with you. I'm wide awake at 3:30am......
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Working...
        X