Droopy shoulders after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droopy shoulders after surgery

My surgery was about 2 months ago and I am surprised that since then my shoulders, especially my right one, are very rounded. I am starting some physical therapy to work the muscles to pull them back and get stronger. Have others experienced this and does it correct itself in time? My thorasic muscles are still quite sore and tight, which makes me think the shoulders may not come back until thorasic is relaxed more.
    Thanks.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Shari - I've noticed that I can see my kyphosis a little more in my upper back where I wasn't fused. Initially, my doctor was going to fuse me from T2 down to the sacrum, however he changed it from T9 to the sacrum. Maybe I notice it because the rest of my back is so straight with good posture, and then the upper part is a little bent forward (kyphosis) not so bad though, and apparently not noticeable to friends or family, so I'll take it
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Shari, I had the exact opposite, my shoulders were tight and held up higher than normal. I must have been holding them in that position??? Then one day they dropped down into a more normal position.

When I get stressed I still catch myself holding them up, don't know why.

Give yourself enough time to heal,
      Shari

Comment

My hips looked uneven before and now my shoulders do. I HOPE THAT IMPROVES.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

My surgery was about 2 months ago and I am surprised that since then my shoulders, especially my right one, are very rounded. I am starting some physical therapy to work the muscles to pull them back and get stronger. Have others experienced this and does it correct itself in time?
          shari, this is my situation almost exactly. my surgery was just over four weeks ago. my right shoulder was rounded before surgery, but now it is even more rounded. i used to have pain around the right shoulder blade; now, it is much worse. i am also starting physical therapy soon.

while i cannot say whether or not this corrects itself, i will let you know how my physical therapy goes! just wanted to let you that you are not alone with this.

keep us posted on your progress, and we can let each other know if anything works to fix this!

Comment

Hi sacket - yes, please let's keep each other posted on how this recovers. I feel like my rib hump is almost getting worse than right after surgery. i am off my pain meds now and it may be the tight sore muscles forcing these things. I go to pt tuesday. I will see if a month or two of this helps. Just off my pain meds 100% yesterday, thus wide awake at 3:30am!! I hope this gets better too. I fee like my skin is crawling. All in time.....
            Shari - 55 years old
            Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

hi Shari
              did you go off your meds gradually? skin crawling feeling is usually a withdrawal symptom...i am just concerned for you...

feel better
              jess

Comment

Hey Jess, thanks for your kindness. I did wean way down, to 1/2 tablet 2 or 3 times a day and then went without when I realized I was taking it due to the clock and not my body. I thought that what might be happening. Still a little nauseau too. My body is super sensitive to all this med. I was blessed with good health and before this surgery put very, very little drug into my body. It (my body) has fought this every step of the way. I do feel my hardware a bit more with no pain med too. I hope a few days and I'll be doing better. Thanks again!
                Shari - 55 years old
                Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

Working...
                X