Update from Joyfull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from Joyfull

Hi all. I've had a very rocky road but finally connected enough to the world to write. The surgery took 12 hours and there were major complications such as a collapsed lung, brittle bones from osteoporosis and some abnormal numerical readings. I don't recognize my body. I have to wear a hand bracelet that says "fall risk" which makes me feel like I'm 90 years old. My son's tell me I was completely out of it for 4 days and I'm finally slowly starting to get back to myself. I have quite a bit of pain and muscle spasming when i walk and a half hour of exercise really wipes me out. I supposed that doing the surgery at age 58 really puts you at a disadvantage. My son, to whom I'm dictating this, says that i'm very negative however if i'm able to go back to work in September and i suddenly have a new lease on life i'll be sure to let you guys know!

By the way, Dr Lonner was always very positive towards my family.

I'm looking forward to reading the posts from Jen, Jen and Jan.

My love to all, Joy

Originally posted by joyfull View Post
    Hi all. I've had a very rocky road but finally connected enough to the world to write. The surgery took 12 hours and there were major complications such as a collapsed lung, brittle bones from osteoporosis and some abnormal numerical readings. I don't recognize my body. I have to wear a hand bracelet that says "fall risk" which makes me feel like I'm 90 years old. My son's tell me I was completely out of it for 4 days and I'm finally slowly starting to get back to myself. I have quite a bit of pain and muscle spasming when i walk and a half hour of exercise really wipes me out. I supposed that doing the surgery at age 58 really puts you at a disadvantage. My son, to whom I'm dictating this, says that i'm very negative however if i'm able to go back to work in September and i suddenly have a new lease on life i'll be sure to let you guys know!
    Joy,

Welcome back! And congratulations for getting through it! I really appreciate you posting your honest feelings--it helps those of us looking forward to surgery to know what to expect. I'm so sorry you had major complications, but glad you are on the road to recovery! What does "abnormal numerical readings" mean? How does your back look? Hey, I think it's great that you can already do a half hour of exercise!!! Keep healing. Sending good thoughts your way.

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

oh Joy...so very glad to hear from you! and so sorry to hear about the complications!! i am glad you are on the healing side and i know things will get better from here...please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!
      feel better every day!

jess

Comment

Keep on trucking Joy!! I am getting better every day.
        36 year young cardiac RN
        old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
        new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
        Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
        Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
        and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Joyfull,

It IS good to hear from you, I have to say. Sounds like you have been through a lot in many ways. Please keep posting when you feel up to it, the good, bad and the indifferent.

Wishing you well....
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Congratulations Joy. I'm so glad you're on the side where things just get better and better. Sorry to hear about your complications but glad your confidence in your surgeon was warranted and you are now over the worst of it. I think you're marvellous for being able to exercise for half an hour. It will pay off! Meantime, just relax and let time pass and lap up lots of loving care.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Joy, when I had my surgery on May 4th, a Tuesday. I did not know what was going on for 5-6 days. I, also, had the bracelet that said fall risk. They told me that every surgical patient gets one. My surgical problems consisted of my kidneys almost not working to the point of needing dialysis and as I am a diabetic, that is a big problem

But look at the bright side... You have made it thru to the other side and now have a wonderful , straight brand new back

Congratulations

Melissa

Comment

So great to hear from you Joy - glad to know you're on the road to recovery. Each day will get better now. I wish you fast healing and a smooth recovery.
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Joy--So good to hear from you. Glad you are done and wish we could wish away those complications for you. Hang in there and I know there are better days ahead. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It's so good to hear that you made it through. I'm sorry about the complications. After all you have been through, you deserve a speedy recovery! Feel better soon. gentle {{{{hugs}}}}
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

happy thoughts for recovery

Joyful,
                      I too am so glad to hear from you. You have been on my mind and in my prayers so often the last few weeks. Yay for you...exercising already!
                      Try to stay positive & take it easy.

cyborg2be
                      right thoracic curve of 74 degrees
                      left lumbar curve of 44

Comment

Later, when you can get online yourself, a little searching will show you how much you and the other J's (and Teresa) have been on our minds!

As sorry as we are about your complications and pain (we all feel WITH you!) we are so relieved to hear from you at all, and thank you for filiing us in as hard as it was for you.

You are not alone with this. Be of good courage! THe bad passes and according to what we are told (I'm just a "virgin" here ) , it is even largely forgotten in time. Sometimes, I think how much it sucks that there are so MANy ways to feel pain and so many fewer to feel pleasure!

But enjoying your new straight spine will be a special JOY for you, and one for which you will surely have paid your dues!
                        Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                        Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                        main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                        Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I am so relieved to hear from you, Joy, and sorry you had some complications. I had a pretty scary complication, too, but came back with flying colors and so will you. Dr. Lonner knows how to manage problems. I think a half hour of exercise at this point is awesome. All of us are fall risks. I am still very, very careful about walking anywhere slippery, getting in and out of tub, pool, etc. Take it easy and know that you've got lots of support and prayers coming your way.

Anne in PA
                          Age 58
                          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                          T4 to sacrum fusion
                          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Joy -

We both had surgery on the morning of June 8. Just wanted to let you know that i was thinking about you all morning. Even when I was getting nervous around 7 am, I was thinking of you and wondering how you were doingl I thought the surgery was totally painful and brutal and it was worse than what I thought was described here in the forum. THe first 4 days after surgery I was in so much pain I would just lay in pain and cry. I keep asking myself "why did I do this surgery?" and wished I never did it. But then around day 5 I looked in the mirror and saw my back and was just smiling from ear to ear. The log rolling was very hard for me to do, and is still hard for me to do at home. I still need my husband's help to sit up. All my muscles feel week and very atrophied. So how did you like Dr. Lonner? I absolutely loved Dr. Boachie and I thought he was like a miracle. I would recommend him to anyone.

Keep in toch, Joyful!

Talk soon,

JenM
                            Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                            Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                            Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                            Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                            31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

I've been looking for a post from you as well. Sorry to hear about the complications. I had a difficult time in the hospital and really don't remember
                              very much. I had to rely on my family telling me I just kept saying how much pain I was in. Things gradually improve, though and many people, regardless
                              of age, do very well. I'm glad you were able to post and congratulations on having all this behind you. Dr. Lonner is very good at what he does.
                              dianeh
                              ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                              T3- sacrum
                              dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

Working...
                              X