wieght of fusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wieght of fusion.

Just wondering if anyone knows how much a long fusion wieghs, any thoughts?
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

I'm not entirely sure how much it weighs, but I recall reading another thread somewhere by a person who swims and has had scoliosis surgery. I recall him/her saying that it is difficult to float on top of the water now, and that now they just sink unless they are actively swimming on account of their instrumentation weight. I'm not sure if they had the newer surgery though, or the older Harrington rod, as I imagine they have a difference in weight.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere the hardware weighs a pound or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mangos View Post
        I'm not entirely sure how much it weighs, but I recall reading another thread somewhere by a person who swims and has had scoliosis surgery. I recall him/her saying that it is difficult to float on top of the water now, and that now they just sink unless they are actively swimming on account of their instrumentation weight. I'm not sure if they had the newer surgery though, or the older Harrington rod, as I imagine they have a difference in weight.
        My surgery was Oct 2008 and I have no problem floating at all. My hardware is stainless steel.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hardly anything, is my understanding... I think my hardware, even though it's long-- 15 levels, weighs less than 1/2 lb. I had asked my surgeon when I was going to return to weight watchers, hoping to be able to subtract some weight from the total. He just chuckled...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
            Hardly anything, is my understanding... I think my hardware, even though it's long-- 15 levels, weighs less than 1/2 lb. I had asked my surgeon when I was going to return to weight watchers, hoping to be able to subtract some weight from the total. He just chuckled...
            I know just where you're coming from (remembering how I'd weigh and re-weigh my portions for WW!)

I weigh a few pounds less than I did when I graduated from High School, but having lost 4+ inches, as Woody Allen says, I'm now under-tall so it sure doesn't look the same. Fooey! Hardly seems fair that the same weight is no longer OK.

It's really hitting me now - the tight bras (from the larger thoracic circumferance), the short stubby waist where I once had a long willowy one, etc. Not that this is the main thing but it doesn't help.

Aging is aging, but this adds something special - NOT good. And I'd tried so hard to stay in shape!
            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

I have no trouble floating or swimming. I don't think weight of instrumentation is really an issue these days. So, no, we can't blame our weight gain on that!

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I can float no problem on my back but on my front, last Summer, (hopefully it will be different next Summer) it was awkward, but not because of any weight in my back. I think it was more likely the tightness of thoracic muscles.

I lay flat on my stomach the other night for the first time without feeling any tightness in my thoracic area. It's exactly the same as pre-op when it was so comfortable. So just when you think you're 100%, things keep on improving. Hopefully, swimming on my front will be easier next Summer.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I wondered this same thing. I had asked my dr. to weigh it first, but no go. He told me to figure close to 2 lbs. I'm not sure it feels that heavy, maybe a pound. It feels like I have alot back there.
                  Shari - 55 years old
                  Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                  Post op 13 degree curve.
                  Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                  2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                  Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                  www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    My surgery was Oct 2008 and I have no problem floating at all. My hardware is stainless steel.
                    That's good to know. Makes me feel better! I enjoy floating on the water sometimes. It's relaxing

Comment

Working...
                    X