PDA

View Full Version : wieght of fusion.

jsully
06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how much a long fusion wieghs, any thoughts?

mangos
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not entirely sure how much it weighs, but I recall reading another thread somewhere by a person who swims and has had scoliosis surgery. I recall him/her saying that it is difficult to float on top of the water now, and that now they just sink unless they are actively swimming on account of their instrumentation weight. I'm not sure if they had the newer surgery though, or the older Harrington rod, as I imagine they have a difference in weight.

JamieAnn
06-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I thought I read somewhere the hardware weighs a pound or 2.

debbei
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm not entirely sure how much it weighs, but I recall reading another thread somewhere by a person who swims and has had scoliosis surgery. I recall him/her saying that it is difficult to float on top of the water now, and that now they just sink unless they are actively swimming on account of their instrumentation weight. I'm not sure if they had the newer surgery though, or the older Harrington rod, as I imagine they have a difference in weight.

My surgery was Oct 2008 and I have no problem floating at all. My hardware is stainless steel.

Susie*Bee
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Hardly anything, is my understanding... I think my hardware, even though it's long-- 15 levels, weighs less than 1/2 lb. I had asked my surgeon when I was going to return to weight watchers, hoping to be able to subtract some weight from the total. He just chuckled...;)

Back-out
06-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Hardly anything, is my understanding... I think my hardware, even though it's long-- 15 levels, weighs less than 1/2 lb. I had asked my surgeon when I was going to return to weight watchers, hoping to be able to subtract some weight from the total. He just chuckled...;)

I know just where you're coming from (remembering how I'd weigh and re-weigh my portions for WW!)

I weigh a few pounds less than I did when I graduated from High School, but having lost 4+ inches, as Woody Allen says, I'm now under-tall so it sure doesn't look the same. :o Fooey! Hardly seems fair that the same weight is no longer OK.

It's really hitting me now - the tight bras (from the larger thoracic circumferance), the short stubby waist where I once had a long willowy one, etc. Not that this is the main thing but it doesn't help.

Aging is aging, but this adds something special - NOT good. And I'd tried so hard to stay in shape!

ADMoul
06-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I have no trouble floating or swimming. I don't think weight of instrumentation is really an issue these days. So, no, we can't blame our weight gain on that!:)

JenniferG
06-18-2010, 07:07 PM
I can float no problem on my back but on my front, last Summer, (hopefully it will be different next Summer) it was awkward, but not because of any weight in my back. I think it was more likely the tightness of thoracic muscles.

I lay flat on my stomach the other night for the first time without feeling any tightness in my thoracic area. It's exactly the same as pre-op when it was so comfortable. So just when you think you're 100%, things keep on improving. Hopefully, swimming on my front will be easier next Summer.

ShariMSU
06-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I wondered this same thing. I had asked my dr. to weigh it first, but no go. He told me to figure close to 2 lbs. I'm not sure it feels that heavy, maybe a pound. It feels like I have alot back there.

mangos
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
My surgery was Oct 2008 and I have no problem floating at all. My hardware is stainless steel.

That's good to know. Makes me feel better! I enjoy floating on the water sometimes. It's relaxing :)