My 12 wk follow up appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 12 wk follow up appt

Hi Everyone! Yesterday was my 12 week followup with Dr. Lenke. I was just amazed when I saw my before and after x-rays. The curve went from 62 down to 11 degrees. I added the xrays to my signature line below, so you can see them. He told me I should be doing more activity, like even gentle yoga, and stretching. That surprised me, but he said as long as I am in control of my movements, I can't hurt myself. So, starting today I did 30 minutes of gentle stretching and easy yoga moves. I was sooooo not flexible! Need to build that up slowly. My back doesn't "hurt" anymore like before the surgery...but now it just "burns", which I am guessing is the nerves and muscles healing. Just wanted to check in to let you know I am happy I went through with this at even just 12 weeks out! Can't wait for a year anniversary!!! Thanks again for eveyone's support here!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

P.s.

P.S. The little rings on the top left and right corner of the x-rays are my rings and bracelets. They had me touch my shoulders with my hands, and they showed up there. Looks pretty funny!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

What a great correction you got! You must be thrilled.

I am still too nervous to do yoga.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

jenn..it doesnt look as if Laura is fused to pelvis...how does one do yoga when fused all the way down...?

jess

Comment

Fantastic correction - waaay to go!!!

Out of interest, did your doctor say that it was okay to do twisting movements in yoga? My 12 week follow-up is next week.
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Hi Lynette,
            I specifically asked him about the twisting and he said yes, if done slow and gentle, and with "controlled movement". I thought it was funny when I asked him if I could ride a bike now, and he said..."well, you can ride it...you just can't fall OFF of it!" So, I will refrain from that for a while! Good luck with your follow up! Let us know what you find out!
            Laura
            62 degrees
            49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Jess,
              You are right. I am fused T3-L2.
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Wow Laura, your x-rays look great and you sound so positive. My fusion will pretty much be the same as yours (prob T2 to L2) so I can only hope to fair as well at 12 weeks! Congrats again.
                Laurie
                Age 57
                Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                Dr Munish Gupta
                UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

hey Laura
                  your pix look terrific...i hope you feel better and better as the weeks pass!
                  it is the fuison to the pelvis that has me...ambivalent..about the surgery...but i suspect i'll get there eventually...
                  but i dont do yoga now...so i wouldnt be looking for it later...i had to give up the gym due to pain...but am wondering whether one can do lower body machines after fusion to pelvis...i think i'm gonna ask Ed that one...i used to really enjoy those machines!

jess
                  Last edited by jrnyc; 06-17-2010, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Holy schmolly! Those photos and xrays sure make me want to pay a visit to Dr. Lenke. Thanks so much for sharing. You're an inspiration!

Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Laura,
                      The pictures are great. I'm so glad Dr. Lenke will be my surgeon, too. Congratulations on doing so well so quickly.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Laura,
                        Congrats on the great x-rays. I am also fused T3-L2 and started doing yoga 3 months after my surgery so I thought I would chime in. I found that I was able to keep up with the yoga class pretty well. I had to make some modifications but not too many. Yoga is nice because it is slow paced so you really have time to figure out what your body is capable of without pushing or hurting yourself. I find that I can't do much twisting. I can do what everyone else is doing position-wise, but I don't get a very big twist in. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just doesn't go anymore! If you take a yoga class, you should definitely let the instructor know about your fusion and ask them to not do any physical/hands-on modifications on you. Some instructors like to walk around and move you into the correct position. I didn't like this because I prefer to be in control (it just feels safer that way!). I hope all goes well! Yoga has been great for improving my flexibility post-fusion!
                        Sarah
                        22 year old grad student
                        Boston brace from 12-14
                        surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
                        Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
                        Thoracic curve 47*
                        Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
                        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

Wow Laura it hardly seems like it can be 12 weeks. Your correction is great and so are the pictures. At 12 weeks have the bending restrictions been lifted? Do you have any restrictions still?
                          Have you gone back to work yet?
                          Shari - 55 years old
                          Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                          Post op 13 degree curve.
                          Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                          2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                          Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                          www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Laura--That's wonderful! You have done so well. I can't believe you are free to do yoga so soon. I wonder if Dr. Lenke is changing on that or if it is the length of fusion and age of patient. He told me at a year plus that I could work for more flexibility now with pt. I had definitely been doing some things since 6 months but pt didn't think that now I could change it much even if I worked like crazy. I'd love to be able to get back to my fusion--pilates/yoga--class but I can't sit on floor with extended legs w/o falling backwards and we did a lot of floor stuff. Anyway, you must be doing great! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Laura--glad to hear that you got such a good follow up, as did Lynette and I. I got a similar report that you did only the doctor didn't even tell me not to fall off the bike. I am still a bit timid about trying though because I feel so stiff. I'm supposted to buy a new one, but will practice on my sister's to see if I am comfortable first.

The yoga sounds interesting. I am doing walking and Therapy to strengthen my core and stretch the legs, arms, and back muscles. My sister happens to be a therapist, so I don't have to make appointments or go to a clinic.

It is good to hear that we call made it through okay. Keep feeling better and keep us posted.

Melissa
                              Fused T9-L5
                              Pre Op 60 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              Post Op 20 Degree Lumbar Curve
                              March 31, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X