PDA

View Full Version : My 12 wk follow up appt

Radiogirl
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Everyone! Yesterday was my 12 week followup with Dr. Lenke. I was just amazed when I saw my before and after x-rays. The curve went from 62 down to 11 degrees. I added the xrays to my signature line below, so you can see them. He told me I should be doing more activity, like even gentle yoga, and stretching. That surprised me, but he said as long as I am in control of my movements, I can't hurt myself. So, starting today I did 30 minutes of gentle stretching and easy yoga moves. I was sooooo not flexible! Need to build that up slowly. My back doesn't "hurt" anymore like before the surgery...but now it just "burns", which I am guessing is the nerves and muscles healing. Just wanted to check in to let you know I am happy I went through with this at even just 12 weeks out! Can't wait for a year anniversary!!! :) Thanks again for eveyone's support here!

Radiogirl
06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
P.S. The little rings on the top left and right corner of the x-rays are my rings and bracelets. They had me touch my shoulders with my hands, and they showed up there. Looks pretty funny! :)

JenniferG
06-17-2010, 05:45 PM
What a great correction you got! You must be thrilled.

I am still too nervous to do yoga.

jrnyc
06-17-2010, 06:01 PM
jenn..it doesnt look as if Laura is fused to pelvis...how does one do yoga when fused all the way down...?

jess

LynetteG
06-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Fantastic correction - waaay to go!!!

Out of interest, did your doctor say that it was okay to do twisting movements in yoga? My 12 week follow-up is next week.

Radiogirl
06-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi Lynette,
I specifically asked him about the twisting and he said yes, if done slow and gentle, and with "controlled movement". I thought it was funny when I asked him if I could ride a bike now, and he said..."well, you can ride it...you just can't fall OFF of it!" So, I will refrain from that for a while! Good luck with your follow up! Let us know what you find out!

Radiogirl
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Jess,
You are right. I am fused T3-L2.

lray
06-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow Laura, your x-rays look great and you sound so positive. My fusion will pretty much be the same as yours (prob T2 to L2) so I can only hope to fair as well at 12 weeks! Congrats again.

jrnyc
06-17-2010, 07:09 PM
hey Laura
your pix look terrific...i hope you feel better and better as the weeks pass!
it is the fuison to the pelvis that has me...ambivalent..about the surgery...but i suspect i'll get there eventually...:rolleyes:
but i dont do yoga now...so i wouldnt be looking for it later...i had to give up the gym due to pain...but am wondering whether one can do lower body machines after fusion to pelvis...i think i'm gonna ask Ed that one...i used to really enjoy those machines!

jess

Confusedmom
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Holy schmolly! Those photos and xrays sure make me want to pay a visit to Dr. Lenke. Thanks so much for sharing. You're an inspiration!

Evelyn

golfnut
06-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Laura,
The pictures are great. I'm so glad Dr. Lenke will be my surgeon, too. Congratulations on doing so well so quickly.

sarah105
06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Laura,
Congrats on the great x-rays. I am also fused T3-L2 and started doing yoga 3 months after my surgery so I thought I would chime in. I found that I was able to keep up with the yoga class pretty well. I had to make some modifications but not too many. Yoga is nice because it is slow paced so you really have time to figure out what your body is capable of without pushing or hurting yourself. I find that I can't do much twisting. I can do what everyone else is doing position-wise, but I don't get a very big twist in. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just doesn't go anymore! If you take a yoga class, you should definitely let the instructor know about your fusion and ask them to not do any physical/hands-on modifications on you. Some instructors like to walk around and move you into the correct position. I didn't like this because I prefer to be in control (it just feels safer that way!). I hope all goes well! Yoga has been great for improving my flexibility post-fusion!

ShariMSU
06-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Wow Laura it hardly seems like it can be 12 weeks. Your correction is great and so are the pictures. At 12 weeks have the bending restrictions been lifted? Do you have any restrictions still?
Have you gone back to work yet?

Doodles
06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Laura--That's wonderful! You have done so well. I can't believe you are free to do yoga so soon. I wonder if Dr. Lenke is changing on that or if it is the length of fusion and age of patient. He told me at a year plus that I could work for more flexibility now with pt. I had definitely been doing some things since 6 months but pt didn't think that now I could change it much even if I worked like crazy. I'd love to be able to get back to my fusion--pilates/yoga--class but I can't sit on floor with extended legs w/o falling backwards and we did a lot of floor stuff. Anyway, you must be doing great! Janet

TexEx
06-25-2010, 04:19 AM
Hi Laura--glad to hear that you got such a good follow up, as did Lynette and I. I got a similar report that you did only the doctor didn't even tell me not to fall off the bike. I am still a bit timid about trying though because I feel so stiff. I'm supposted to buy a new one, but will practice on my sister's to see if I am comfortable first.

The yoga sounds interesting. I am doing walking and Therapy to strengthen my core and stretch the legs, arms, and back muscles. My sister happens to be a therapist, so I don't have to make appointments or go to a clinic.

It is good to hear that we call made it through okay. Keep feeling better and keep us posted.

Melissa
Fused T9-L5
Pre Op 60 Degree Lumbar Curve
Post Op 20 Degree Lumbar Curve
March 31, 2010

foofer
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Laura and Melissa,

I do love reading great news in the morning!!

I feel a bit motherly towards "the girls". You have many mothers, aunties, sisters, and a few awesome brother/uncles on this board.

Here's a little cybertoast to you all as I think of you riding bikes, going to the beach, nice long walks....all standing tall.:p

Congratulations and Happy Summer!

Radiogirl
06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Awwwww Foofer....thanks "mom"! HahAHAH!!! But you couldn't be my mom cuz you would have had to been 5 yrs old when you had me!!! :D

KathK
06-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Laura,

You're x-rays are amazing! What an encourageement for those of us who have not yet had surgery. I'm so happy for you!

Had Dr. Lenke predicted that much correction for you prior to the surgery (was your spine flexible) or was it just a wonderful surprise?

golfnut
06-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Laura & Kathy & Janet & Rita (Dr. Lenke's patients)
I know Kathy hasn't had her surgery yet, but did Dr. Lenke have any of you wear a brace post surgery? Kelly said that I wouldn't have one and I didn't realize at the time she told me that so many people on this forum wear a brace a long time after surgery. I didn't even question it. I'm a worrier anyway and it just seems that the brace would keep me from moving in a way I'm not supposed to (especially at night when I'm half asleep) I totally trust Dr. Lenke, but I'm just curious what the reason is for not wearing a brace temporarily after surgery. Do you know?
Laura, I am so impressed with your pictures. You have to be thrilled! I'll be 60 when I have the surgery, so I'm a littled worried I won't get the cosmetic results that you did, but I'm sure hoping.

Vali
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Laura, congratulations on an amazingly awesome correction. The pictures look great!

Doodles
06-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Laura--Somehow I had missed looking at the before and afters--those are fabulous!

Karen--No I didn't wear a brace and there wasn't really a reason for or against it that I recall. I guess I was just glad I didn't have to. My roommate in rehab had one. Her doctor was Bridwell. She was about 10 years older than I. Janet

fashionista
07-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Hi Everyone! Yesterday was my 12 week followup with Dr. Lenke. I was just amazed when I saw my before and after x-rays. The curve went from 62 down to 11 degrees. I added the xrays to my signature line below, so you can see them. He told me I should be doing more activity, like even gentle yoga, and stretching. That surprised me, but he said as long as I am in control of my movements, I can't hurt myself. So, starting today I did 30 minutes of gentle stretching and easy yoga moves. I was sooooo not flexible! Need to build that up slowly. My back doesn't "hurt" anymore like before the surgery...but now it just "burns", which I am guessing is the nerves and muscles healing. Just wanted to check in to let you know I am happy I went through with this at even just 12 weeks out! Can't wait for a year anniversary!!! :) Thanks again for eveyone's support here!

Hi, your back looks amazing. don't have anymore rib hump whatsoever. how much heigh did you regain?

Radiogirl
07-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi Fashionista! Thanks for the compliment! My rib hump is gone and I gained 2 inches in height!!! That was an awesome side benefit! It's so funny when people see me for the first time since surgery and they can't get over how tall I look!!! I'm now 5' 5" and was 5' 3". My left shoulder is a tiny bit higher than my right shoulder and my physical therapist (who I went to for first time yesterday) said that will most likely stay that way...but it's a great trade off for the curve and rib hump! Good luck to you!
Laura

Radiogirl
07-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Karen, Vali and Janet....thank you guys for the compliments! :) It sure makes me feel good to see my before and afters. Sometimes I look at my befores now and just say "WOW"...was that really me??? It realllly makes me glad I had the surgery. I recommend everyone take before pics so you can see how far you have come! Karen, no I didn't wear a brace. For some reason I don't think Lenke uses them...and I was glad to hear that! I didn't feel that anything would come apart or anything because you really are not all that mobile after surgery for a while! Just walk very carefully and use a walker or something to hold on to if you feel unsteady. Best of luck to you in January Karen. It seems like a ways away but will be here and gone before you know it! Let me know if you have questions!
Laura