surgery june 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery june 11

Came home yesterday after having surgery Friday. I have been doing well just trouble finding the correct combo of pain meds. I was throwing up a lot at first too.. The hardest thing was getting my pain meds when asked and reasked. the nurses made me feel like a druggie by saying "your blood pressure is good, you couldn't possibly have that much pain" and "what kind of meds were you taking at home? To be able to tolerate all of this". (NONE) Several times I had to call my Dr in the middle of the night to get things under control, he was FABULOUS. Then after he sent home, one of my pain meds was unavailbe because my insurance company didn't approve one. Then my DR offered to meet my husband 1/2 way to TAMPA so he didn't have to drive so far, he is awesome!
    Overall Dr. Cronen
    Unniversity Community Hospital
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

congratulations janet..so glad it is over and you have started the healing process...

those nurses have alot of nerve...just lovely when medical people, doctors or nurses, tell a patient what could/should hurt! you just want to condemn them to weeks of pain without pain meds, to see how they'd like it! thank goodness for a caring doctor!

hope you feel better every day...

jess

Comment

Janet - I agree with you - Dr. Cronen is AWESOME!

I had problems with some of the nurses too. In fact one day a nurse who had never taken care of a back surgery patient before, brought in this weird contraption over my bed, and was about to make me reach up and pull myself up. I told her no way, and my best friend who is a doctor, gave her her marching orders. When I sat up that day, my first day after surgery, I was about to pass out, my eyes started going to the back of my head, and my friend (thank God she was there) laid me back down on the bed, and told the nurse I would not be walking or getting up at that time. The nurses need better understanding and training of their patients. It makes me wonder why they chose that career with so little empathy for others.

However, Dr. Cronen and Josh Gilliam make up for all the rest of the bad eggs

So glad you're home, and on the road to recovery. It all gets better from here on in Janet. Can't wait to hear about the correction you've had with your spine etc.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Congratulations Janet. Lovely to have another one safely on the other side.

The nurses I had were mostly good, used to scoliosis patients but I had a couple of doozies. I guess uncaring, lazy people are in every profession, but in nursing, it causes so much anguish.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

YEA Janet!!! Welcome to the other side! Now, your only job is to heal!!! Those first days/weeks were mostly a blur to me, but I do remember throwing up from the pain meds. Gingerale and saltine crackers were my best friend. Congratulations, and before you know it you will be like me, 12 weeks later and finishing your first followup.
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

To another Janet--congrats. Sounds like you are actually doing quite well to be home so soon. I know it may not feel like it yet but it will get better. Hang in there. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Did great today!! I walked 1/4 mi and went up my stairs!
              36 year young cardiac RN
              old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
              new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
              Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
              Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
              and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Good on you Janet. Sounds like you're doing extremely well. Keep up the good work!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X