Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flerc - Vertebral Wedging

Your inbox is full. This is a continuation of our discussion:

I don't think I have any wedging of vertebrae. Wedging discs, yes. If you want to see my X-rays they are under the thread "I have some imaging CD's" in the non-surgical area. Discs are interesting. As far as I remember Anatomy & Physiology, they are structured out of cartilaginous material with a gelatinous center (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I would think they would adapt rather quickly to whatever position the spine is in, except maybe in us older folks. Although, one might think that "forcing" it into position too quickly might rupture one or at least pinch a nerve as they are in close proximity.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Thanks roher01, I cleaned my box. I also think that you have not vertebrae wedge. I think it should to be so evident in the x-rays as disc wedge is.
    But there are some articles and scientist as Sastre saying that an asymmetric growth in vertebras leads to progression. I believe that at least some of them also say that it’s always very serious in all adults with a great curve. Also some of them refers to it as the impossibility to reduce degrees.. it’s something so few clear for me.

Regards

Comment

It's next to impossible to see wedging without blowing up the xray, but I suspect that T6 is wedged.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

May be a little wedge in only one or few vertebraes be the guilty of a great curve?. If would exist some methods to restore the same high in both sides of all vertebras wedged, the curve will disappear? I’m not sure at all but I believe I have read it but with discs, not vertebras. If discs would have not any kind of degeneration, muscles have a normal length and strength, the same with ligaments, internal organs have the right pressure and size they should to have, joints, tendons, fascias.. has not nothing abnormal but those vertebras remains wedged, the curve remains the same?

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          It's next to impossible to see wedging without blowing up the xray, but I suspect that T6 is wedged.
          T6 is wedged on who? Would the wedge be on the apex of the curve or below the apex that would cause a kink throwing the rest of the spine off? I find this interesting because no one I have ever seen has said anything about wedged vertebrae. To the untrained eye, they all look normal and the discs look wedged. My curves run from T1 - T6 and T6 - L2. So, if it is me you are talking about then the wedge in T6 is driving both curves as it is not in the apex of either curve. Oh, the geometry!
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Oh, and if the vertebrae are indeed wedged, couldn't that be a complication in surgically straightening the spine, as it would put uneven pressure on the discs? Is the degree of wedging a factor in why some people get really good correction, while others only get minimal correction after fusion? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
              Oh, and if the vertebrae are indeed wedged, couldn't that be a complication in surgically straightening the spine, as it would put uneven pressure on the discs? Is the degree of wedging a factor in why some people get really good correction, while others only get minimal correction after fusion? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.
              The purpose of fusion is to replace the disc, so wedging really plays no part. Wedging would play a part if a wedged vertebra was not included in the fusion.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
              X