twisting while sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twisting while sleeping

I had my surgery on May 4th. I have been sleeping on my back since then very comfortably.The last two nights, Saturday and Sunday, I have been twisting and turning all night. I have woken up both mornings in extreme pain , like back in the beginning of May. I am afraid that I am doing something to my back but I have no idea how to stop it.I do not know what started this.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Melissa

Are you wearing a brace, Melissa? I had to wear one even while sleeping. A brace will keep you from twisting in your sleep. Twisting is not good so early in your recovery. If you have a brace, I would suggest wearing it at night. It’s cumbersome at first, but you’ll get used to it.

Comment

I am over 4 months post-op and am still very stiff and sore when I first get out of bed. I still have the raised toilet seat upstairs just because it gives me a little more security if I have to get up at night. Once I'm up and moving, the stiffness passes quickly, but moving around in bed is still difficult. Have always been a side sleeper but find myself sleeping on my back much more these days, although I occasionally have some twisting/turning nights too. The PA in my Dr.'s office said that if you would do something major like break a rod or something, you would have a sudden, sharp pain. I use a pillow between my knees and sometimes one to prop my arms on which seems to help give me more support. You have to remember how much reconfiguration is going on with muscles and nerves even after we start to feel more normal. Hope it gets better for you.

Anne in PA
      Age 58
      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
      T4 to sacrum fusion
      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Well, last night I slept like I used to on my back and did not move.I woke up in the same position. much less pain than the previous two nights.

Melissa

Comment

Good news, Melissa!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X