first post-op appoitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first post-op appoitment

I had my first post op appointment today with my surgeon and learned several things about my surgery. First of all, I was so out of it the entire week that I was in the hospital before I got moved to rehab that I remember nothing from the first week. He told me today that I lost significant amount of blood that my kidneys shut down .Luckily for me they did not shut down far enough that I needed dialysis but they were almost there.

He showed me X -rays of my spine that look so straight they look like they could be perfect spines. He will not give numbers until 3 months but needless to say he looked so happy when he showed me my x-rays. My friend who stayed with me during surgery and for the first day said he was so proud of himself and my back when he came out of surgery to tell her that I was finally done that he looked like a kid on Christmas morning who had gotten everything he wanted as a present.

He told me that I could drive short distances, not in rush hours, not in bad weather, not when I am tired or do not wear well. Yea!! Now I do not need to have to bother my DD any longer. She has been wonderful but she wants a break and deserves one

Now, besides the brace, I have a bone stimulator to wear for 4 hours a day.

I do not need to see him for 2 months.

He asked me if I were happy that I had made the choice to have the surgery.I said that as of now I am happy.

Melissa

Now THAT'S a happy story!! I really love the part about your surgeon's delight. Maxel Tov, all!
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Great news Melissa!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for sharing--very happy for you! Scary about the kidneys, but good to know that can happen. Glad you recovered well and have a straight spine!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

whew! thank goodness that worked out OK!! frightening stuff...knew blood loss could be excessive..didnt know the consequences to kidneys! glad you came out of it fine!

may there be nothing now but uneventful healing!

jess

Comment

That's wonderful news, Melissa. Sounds like your complications were all handled well and you've had a great correction. Take your time with healing and enjoy the slower pace!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

I am enjoying the slower pace of my life.It might just become my new way of life for my second half of my life

Anne, did you have a bone growth stimulator?

Melissa

Comment

It's great to read such a good report after your first check-up Melissa!

It's probably a blessing that we don't remember all from our hospital stays. I did for awhile after I came home but after a time those memories have become a little bit fuzzy. Two months after my surgeries, for each surgery I ordered; the Operative Report, Discharge Summary and Itemized Final Bill.

The Operative Report is helpful as it explains exactly what was done in the OR.
                The Discharge Summary begins with Diagnoses/Problems, then Procedures, and ends with a summation of History, Major Findings and Hospital Course.

I also have digital copies of post-surgical x-rays which were put onto a disc. There was no charge for any of these things!

I really think it's important to have a record of all that was done. I made the mistake years ago of not taking my x-rays with me when I was dismissed from my ortho Dr. (in 1980), nor did I get my x-rays from anywhere else through the years. I won't make that mistake again!
                Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                Achieved +70% Correction
                Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                New Spine 03/19/2009
                New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                  Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

I am enjoying the slower pace of my life.It might just become my new way of life for my second half of my life

Anne, did you have a bone growth stimulator?

Melissa
                  Hi Melissa
                  I know how you are feeling! I am still in recovery too and enjoying staying at home esp during the summer months...My doctor also was pretty proud of himself at my first appt. It was kind of funny...I have a bone stimulator too. Have had since the day after I got home and I wear it 24/7 except when I shower. It is programmed for 270 days so I believe I will have it for awhile. I am so glad you are feeling so good. I remember how worried you were prior to surgery. ;-))
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                    Hi Melissa
                    I know how you are feeling! I am still in recovery too and enjoying staying at home esp during the summer months...My doctor also was pretty proud of himself at my first appt. It was kind of funny...I have a bone stimulator too. Have had since the day after I got home and I wear it 24/7 except when I shower. It is programmed for 270 days so I believe I will have it for awhile. I am so glad you are feeling so good. I remember how worried you were prior to surgery. ;-))
                    Wow, I only can wear mine 4 hours a day. After that it turns off.

Melissa

Comment

Great news Melissa!
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks all for the good replies but now my left side of my back has been bothering me and even been in so much pain that it has woken me from sleep several times. What is that all about?

Also, yesterday my left leg had the same pain it did pre surgery for a while and I needed my cane to walk.

This is not making me happy

Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mbeckoff View Post
                          Thanks all for the good replies but now my left side of my back has been bothering me and even been in so much pain that it has woken me from sleep several times. What is that all about?

Also, yesterday my left leg had the same pain it did pre surgery for a while and I needed my cane to walk.

This is not making me happy

Melissa
                          Melissa,
                          I've noticed that I have pains in various places from day to day for no rhyme or reason. It may even vary from week to week. One week I had sciatica really bad that was waking me at night. Then 2 weeks later it completely disappeared. Now it is my neck bothering me. And an area on the left side of my back in the area of my osteotomy. It takes a long time for you back to get back to "normal" and traveling pains are a normal part of recovery.
                          I think you are doing great!!!
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

So good to hear your good report Melissa!
                            Glenda
                            Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                            Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                            Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                            A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                            Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                            Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                            X