PDA

View Full Version : Degree of correction

JennyRN
06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
After seeing the results of my bending xrays, I was wondering what degree of correction I might end up with.
What degree of correction did you start with?
What did your bending xrays indicate your level of correction would be?
And finally what is your actual degree of curvature after surgery?
My surgery is one week from tomorrow, and I am getting more and more nervous by the minute!

jsully
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi Jenny,
I have a 72 degree thoracic curve and I believe a 44 degree lumbar. I know that when I bent to the side the lumbar was about 11 degrees but I don't remember what the thoracic was. Good luck on your surgery next week. Can't wait to keep up with all of you on the "other side".
Janet

JennyRN
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you Janet. Are you as nervous as I am? What are your plans for going back to work afterwards?

jsully
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Jenny,
I am nervous, excited and saddened all at the same time, like a emotional roller coaster! I hope to return to my job in 12 weeks. That is my only plan right now. I will have to work on my endurence at home and just pray I will be able to return. Otherwise, I may have to look into another type of nursing. I hope I don't have to but if I am not healed enough in that time to do my job, that is what I will have to do. I only have 12 weeks of sick time banked and do not think I can afford to live on 60% STD or LTD till I am healed. I believe that they do have to hold a position for 3 mo FMLA and 3 mo GML. Good Luck!
Janet

Back-out
06-09-2010, 04:38 PM
JennyRN

Hang on. What are these "bending Xrays" and what do they show? What direction does one bend?

Thinking maybe one can do a rough check at home, re flexibility. I always heard flexibility determined how much correction could be gotten and on that account, had one bright spot about the whole deal (still being hyper-flexible thanks to my Ehler Danlo's)

I know a lot of people complain about rigidity (and I think my kyphosis IS rigid), but I can still bend every which way even if I haven't stretched. I HOPE this is a good sign abt my eventual correction IIEHTS (= If I eventually have the surgery :D)

jrnyc
06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
bending Xrays on a table, without the help of gravity, can be quite the revelation! without gravity, i found out i am not as flexible as i thought! the tech said that's why surgeons like to do the bendng ones on a table...to get to the real deal..:rolleyes:

jess

txmarinemom
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
After seeing the results of my bending xrays, I was wondering what degree of correction I might end up with.
What degree of correction did you start with?
And finally what is your actual degree of curvature after surgery?
My surgery is one week from tomorrow, and I am getting more and more nervous by the minute!

My curve was 53 at my last pre-op x-ray, with +2 rotation.

While Hanson didn't do bending films (I don't think he usually does on adults), he visually inspected lateral bending and estimated 50% or better correction. Mostly what I heard was his estimate of 70% for significant pain relief.

He was able to achieve > 50% correction, and my curve now measures about 19. I do still have some rotation, which is mostly just visible on my sagittal x-ray because my rods have slightly different profiles. It's enough of a difference it makes me rock in a circular fashion when I do spinal rolls in yoga. :)

Hang tight through the pre-op jitters ... it does get better!

Regards,
Pam

leahdragonfly
06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Jenny-- I believe that they do have to hold a position for 3 mo FMLA and 3 mo GML. Good Luck!
Janet

I'm just wondering, what is GML??

Thanks,

jsully
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
General Medical Leave after FMLA is exhausted.

Vali
06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I had a 58* thoracolumbar curve. I did not have bending x-rays, but at my appointment with the Spinal and Neurosurgeon, they had me bend forwards, backwards etc. Dr H said thast he could probably achieve a 20-22* correction, but would see what happens once in surgery. The day after surgery when he came in he seemed pretty happy and told me he felt he had achieved a good correction and would let me know at a future appointment.
I think it may have been at my five month appointment that he measured my films and said that the correction was down to 5*. Quite impressive i thought.

Back-out
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I had a 58* thoracolumbar curve. he measured my films and said that the correction was down to 5*. Quite impressive i thought.

Wow!!
Did you regain height! I''d think you'd have shot right up. :) That's super.

JenniferG
06-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't remember having bending x-rays either. My curve at the time of surgery was thoracic 68 degrees and I was told to expect a 60% correction. I now have a 22 degree curve and it's barely noticeable.

Confusedmom
06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I just had bending xrays last week. 68* lumbar curve only went down to 46*. Compensatory thoracic curve flattened to nothing. Doc says bending xrays showed him lower curve was stiff (hence less correction expected).

HOWEVER, I don't think I did them right! I was bending at the waist. Later I realized I should have been trying to bend at the hips, where the curve is. Also, I read after the fact that you are supposed to put one arm over your head. Bottom line: Make sure your xray technician gives you specific instructions on how to do this. I think I'm going to have to do it over when I see another doctor. More radiation. Yey. :p

Good luck! One doc actually told me to try laying on a bolster or exercise ball to increase flexibility in the curve.

Evelyn

jrnyc
06-09-2010, 11:37 PM
hi Ev
did you do them laying down or standing up?....i found there to be a huge difference, as the tech told me there would be!
laying on table (ouch) much more difficult, much less bend!

jess

fashionista
06-10-2010, 02:53 AM
he measured my films and said that the correction was down to 5*. Quite impressive i thought.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking about surgery and doing research. Did you exercise regularly before surgery? I'm trying to see if exercise reguarly makes different at the degree of the correction

Singer
06-10-2010, 06:46 AM
I got a very dramatic correction for an old(ish) broad -- from 70 to around 12 degrees. At the time of my bending x-rays, Boachie said he'd shoot for around a 30-degree correction, but once he got in there I turned out to be very flexible. I gained about an inch and a half of height and would have gained more but my lumbar discs were removed, so...hence the modest height gain.

Vali
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I have never been a gym junkie, but i would join just to use their equipment and classes. I was doing a back strengthening programme, pilates and aquarobics. I also walk if not everyday, every other day.

Back-out
06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I got a very dramatic correction for an old(ish) broad -- from 70 to around 12 degrees. At the time of my bending x-rays, Boachie said he'd shoot for around a 30-degree correction, but once he got in there I turned out to be very flexible. I gained about an inch and a half of height and would have gained more but my lumbar discs were removed, so...hence the modest height gain.
That's fabulous, Singer!!

I'm a bit disappointed by the lumbar disks news, tho,

I thought it they put in spacers and sprayed the lot with BMP, it would come to the same height as the disks had once. Comments?

Singer
06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Dr. B didn't use BMP on me -- only crushed bone from a removed rib. The discs were replaced with titanium mesh cages and rib graft. On the x-ray, they look a bit like little mesh hockey pucks.

I still have a bit of a thoracic curve (under 20 deg.), another reason why I didn't gain more height.

Susie*Bee
06-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Since Chris "weighed in" as one of the "oldies" I figured I might as well put in my 2 cents too. My correction is down to 15, so I was really pleased with that. He was just going to try for 50% if I remember correctly.

Nitram
06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
While I don't remember all the details about this I do recall the bending x-rays before surgery.....I was hardly able to bend at all and my surgeon came in and forced bent me as far as he could. After that he told me my spine seemed pretty stiff and he said he'd be happy to get a 50% correction....although he ended up getting closer to 70% during surgery.

Rich

Confusedmom
06-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Jess--

Yes, I did them on the table. I agree--definitely more difficult. I'm practicing for my next set!:o Seems ridiculous but it actually could make a difference in what approach they choose for surgery.

Chris--

Holy Hannah! 70* to 12*. Now there's inspiration!

Evelyn

LynetteG
06-11-2010, 03:30 AM
My story is similar to Rich's. My bending xrays showed little flexibility. My doc estimated a correction getting my lumbar from 85d. to about 35d. Well he got my lumbar from 85d. down to 27d - so I was thrilled with that.

jrnyc
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
hey Ev
just got back from 2 days NYC...had epidural for sciatica on left side....so far, it is helping...must say, i'm surprised...my expectations for it were low...

the bending Xrays are really a shock, arent they?! i thought i was more flexible than i proved to be on the table!

best regards
jess